Author Topic: CP3 Waived by the Suns  (Read 8526 times)

Re: CP3 Waived by the Suns
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2023, 07:23:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
He's going to the Lakers.

But it won't matter. He's fallen off in recent years. There's a reason Phoenix is done with him. Also, the guy seems to get hurt during crucial moments, with the Rockets, Suns, even Clippers in the past. He can join AD in the infirmary, he wouldn't hold up in a full season.

In terms of logical destinations, I'd say the Heat and Sixers are two other options. If he takes a discount to go with PHI (like an exception deal), PHI might still have enough to land another star to pair with Embiid/CP3/Maxey and make a run. This is assuming Harden leaves obviously. PHI definitely needs a PG though if Harden leaves.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2023, 07:34:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

But it won't matter. He's fallen off in recent years. There's a reason Phoenix is done with him. Also, the guy seems to get hurt during crucial moments, with the Rockets, Suns, even Clippers in the past. He can join AD in the infirmary, he wouldn't hold up in a full season.

In terms of logical destinations, I'd say the Heat and Sixers are two other options. If he takes a discount to go with PHI (like an exception deal), PHI might still have enough to land another star to pair with Embiid/CP3/Maxey and make a run. This is assuming Harden leaves obviously. PHI definitely needs a PG though if Harden leaves.

I think he is a downgrade from Russell and I don’t think russell will sign there if they bring him in. Philly would make a lot of sense if harden leaves. Could also be a nice piece for Miami if they can dump lowry who is even more cooked.

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2023, 07:41:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
Not a word on Chris Paul's defense yet. Makes me think everyone in this thread are Joe Mazz burner accounts.
JK

His defense is still pretty solid. The bigger drop-off has been on the offensive end of the court. He can't get to the rim anymore. He can't finish when he does get there. He had the lowest number of baskets at the rim in the league this year (big minute players). Lowest or 2nd lowest along with PJ Tucker.

CP3 has become wholly reliant on his jump-shot to score the ball. He has a brilliant midrange game and an above average 3 ball. But no paint finishes and hardly any FTs cause you get most of your FTs by taking it to the rim means that his scoring efficiency ain't that good anymore.

His main advantage is that he takes care of the ball and is a good passer. However, his playmaking has declined too because again he cannot get to the rim anymore. So his passing still adds value but not as much as it used to. He can't unwrap difficult defenses like he used to. He gets a lot of assists out of more sideways / lateral passes and low incision passes. He doesn't cut apart defenses as much anymore. Still some but not as much. He generates good offensive looks rather than great offensive looks nowadays.

It was interesting to see PHO's offense look better with CP3 out and Devin Booker handling the ball more. Booker could get to the rim, he could draw loads of help defenders, he could playmake on drives better than CP3 could.

CP3 is still a solid two way player but he is not a high end player at anything anymore. Not scoring, not passing, not defense.

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2023, 07:45:30 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I think CP3 has previously commented that he wouldn’t move to a cold climate franchise. But I guess his feelings may have changed with time.

IMO, he’s going to the Lakers or if they can clear room for him, Clippers.

Bucks would be a smart choice for him too.

———

It won’t happen, but like I suggested in a previous post, moving Smart to NOLA for Murphy III and then adding CP3 would be brilliant.

Paul
White
Brown
Tatum
Horford

Brogdon, Williams III, Murphy III
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2023, 07:47:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Surely a return to the Clippers to try and bring them a banner?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2023, 07:55:30 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Would love Paul here. He’d bring some nice stability in end-game scenarios from the point guard spot, especially given he’d play much lower minutes here and presumably be able to stay healthier.

Could also clear up the ability to move one of Smart, White, Brogdon for an upgrade elsewhere, though not sure what that’d be - a longer term starting 4 option?

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2023, 08:02:00 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Woj just said on NBA pregame they told him a Possibility of being waved. Big Difference

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2023, 08:09:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd take him here in an instant.  C's need an actual PG, even an old one that is going to get hurt
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2023, 08:10:16 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1666578187461984258?cxt=HHwWhICw4YKC8KAuAAAA

Looks like there is the possibility of waiving him and then resigning him for a lower overall number in free agency. Though you have to wonder if Paul would go for that.

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2023, 08:10:31 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Sounds like Chris got it wrong? Woj said they told him there is a possibility he could be waived. That sounds very different to me

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2023, 09:11:41 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480

I think he is a downgrade from Russell and I don’t think russell will sign there if they bring him in. Philly would make a lot of sense if harden leaves. Could also be a nice piece for Miami if they can dump lowry who is even more cooked.

I am no Lowry fan, but at least he is on the court in the playoffs.  CP3 is a year older than Lowry, and would be 39 next May for a playoff run.  I know CP3 was a great player once, but he has fallen off a cliff mainly from injuries and age.  It would be similar to us expecting a 39 year old Shaq to make a big contribution to the team in 2011...but wait we were all fooled by that one too, and then Shaq got injured again. 

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2023, 11:39:37 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
CP3 might be the missing piece for the Celtics guys  ;)

A true PG who can help facilitate and handle the ball

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2023, 11:53:35 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599
Would love Paul here. He’d bring some nice stability in end-game scenarios from the point guard spot, especially given he’d play much lower minutes here and presumably be able to stay healthier.

Could also clear up the ability to move one of Smart, White, Brogdon for an upgrade elsewhere, though not sure what that’d be - a longer term starting 4 option?
GIven how Joe ran Horford to the ground, I'd say no. He'd be gassed in the final minutes of the game.

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2023, 12:07:08 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

I am no Lowry fan, but at least he is on the court in the playoffs.  CP3 is a year older than Lowry, and would be 39 next May for a playoff run.  I know CP3 was a great player once, but he has fallen off a cliff mainly from injuries and age.  It would be similar to us expecting a 39 year old Shaq to make a big contribution to the team in 2011...but wait we were all fooled by that one too, and then Shaq got injured again.

That team was so fun and good when Shaq was playing always get sad when someone mentions it.

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2023, 12:07:48 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Getting Chris Paul would guarantee no title for Boston. Besides that, he's injured too much.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis