Author Topic: CP3 Waived by the Suns  (Read 8573 times)

CP3 Waived by the Suns
« on: June 07, 2023, 05:35:04 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Chris Haynes
@ChrisBHaynes
BREAKING: Phoenix Suns have notified star Chris Paul that he will be waived, making the future Hall of Famer one of the top free agents this offseason, league sources tell @NBAonTNT, @BleacherReport

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1666554716380188673

Interesting. Wonder what the Suns have planned at PG for next season.

He had a $15.8m partial guarantee before his deal became full guaranteed on 6/29.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Re: CP3 Waived by the Suns
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 05:39:18 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1450
He’s washed. That was a terrible contract. They owe him $60M+ over the next two seasons.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 05:40:07 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
It's very curious. Does he even free up any cap room for them given how much Durant, Booker, Ayton make? Maybe just a marginal amount? That's really tough, that must mean that he's just so cooked physically that he can't help even a little bit. I'm not a huge CP3 fan but it's always sad to see all-time greats at their positions start to wind down, he's been such a core component of the league for almost two decades now. A fundamental savant in a changing game.

I assume he's going to ring chase at this point and try to convince a team that he can give them 10-15 minutes a night, physically, in the playoffs. Maybe a team that, for example, struggles with dribble-drive penetration and creating for others on the team. Maybe that team could use someone who can dish out 8 assists in his sleep.

He's slipping defensively and he's ill-suited for this "switch everything" era in the NBA, so it's hard to not think about Kemba when thinking about Paul. But it's hard to not look at what Lowry is doing for Miami and say "you know what, this guy excels at exactly what we need and at this point he's not going to look for money." Worth the consideration.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 05:42:55 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
It's very curious. Does he even free up any cap room for them given how much Durant, Booker, Ayton make? Maybe just a marginal amount? That's really tough, that must mean that he's just so cooked physically that he can't help even a little bit. I'm not a huge CP3 fan but it's always sad to see all-time greats at their positions start to wind down, he's been such a core component of the league for almost two decades now. A fundamental savant in a changing game.

I assume he's going to ring chase at this point and try to convince a team that he can give them 10-15 minutes a night, physically, in the playoffs. Maybe a team that, for example, struggles with dribble-drive penetration and creating for others on the team. Maybe that team could use someone who can dish out 8 assists in his sleep.

He's slipping defensively and he's ill-suited for this "switch everything" era in the NBA, so it's hard to not think about Kemba when thinking about Paul. But it's hard to not look at what Lowry is doing for Miami and say "you know what, this guy excels at exactly what we need and at this point he's not going to look for money." Worth the consideration.

It gets the the full MLE but they're still in a tough spot. They only have 5 guys under contract (assuming the don't waive Cameron Payne) and need to add depth.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 05:43:46 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2538
I would have thought seriously about a Smart for Paul trade. 38 but still has a championship left in him.

Edit: not a very ‘smart’ comment by me.  Probably wouldn’t have made that move even had salaries been equal.  But I am eager to get a better floor general.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 06:13:18 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 05:43:53 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
He go to Lakers on vet contract..heck gotta get 60 million from Suns..now Kyrie to Phoenix with KD 🤣
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 05:45:22 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He go to Lakers on vet contract..heck gotta get 60 million from Suns..now Kyrie to Phoenix with KD 🤣

They still won't have cap space to add a max guy. Non-tax MLE is $12.2m.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 05:46:15 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 989
He’s washed. That was a terrible contract. They owe him $60M+ over the next two seasons.

Most of it was unguaranteed if he was waived this month.  They only owe him $15.8 million now.

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 05:46:26 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Yes please give him Maz's while they are at it, he would be much better. I think will end up at the fakers but.

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2023, 05:49:35 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 989
The Celtics already have like half of the NBPA’s leadership on the roster, so we need CP3 just to fill out the set.

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2023, 05:52:11 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1450

Most of it was unguaranteed if he was waived this month.  They only owe him $15.8 million now.

Good call. Didn’t realize that. Makes a lot of sense to waive him then.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2023, 05:57:45 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
I think they could offer him 5 mill if they don't bring back grant. I would not be opposed.

Paul
Smart
Jaylen
Tatum
Horford

Bench

White
Brogdan
Time Lord
Gallo
Hauser
Muscala
Pritchard
Kornet
Blake
2nd round pick

But he will end up in LA I think

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2023, 06:12:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

So 15.8 M for this year and that’s that? No wonder they pulled the trigger. Good move

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2023, 06:13:31 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The obvious destination is the Lakers but I wonder if Chris Paul would consider the Celtics as the ofer the top type guy that could come in here and cement his legacy with a title

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2023, 06:14:31 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Mavs definitely just lost Kyrie…A healthy Paul on Celtics and we dont lose a game in playoffs but that is a big if and ask. Danny always loved him too.