Author Topic: "Expert" Mock Drafts  (Read 8363 times)

Re: "Expert" Mock Drafts
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 10:07:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I will be disappointed if Jaquez is the pick at #35. I like him in the late 2nd or as an UDFA but don't see a ceiling where he ever becomes more then a 10-15 rotation guy. At the #35 pick I would be swinging for a ceiling that could become a valuable player not someone easily replicated on the veteran FA market.

I see Jaquez as a lower prospect in the Grant Williams archetype (3-D 4/3 defensive wing). As a prospect he is older than Grant with an inferior 3pt projection, weaker frame, and was over all an inferior college player.   

I was just posting what was on a mock draft, don't shoot the messenger, JK

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2023, 10:09:47 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Hoopshype has an "aggregate" mock draft up.  They have the #35 pick as Julian Phillips:

Julian Phillips earned All-SEC Freshman Team honors at Tennessee and intrigues NBA executives as an athletic wing who can become a good defender with some untapped upside as a shooter. He’s worked out with the Blazers, Kings, and Hornets.

“I’m a real versatile wing, can defend multiple positions,” Phillips said after a Hornets workout. “Offensively, I can space the floor, shoot it. So, I think I’m a fit in today’s modern positionless basketball.”

Hoopshype also mentions that the Celtics have worked out Jordan Walsh:

Jordan Walsh is looking to spread his wings after leaving Arkansas.

“Once I got out of Arkansas, I’m now in a position where I don’t have handcuffs on me,” Walsh told ESPN. “I’m able to shoot and make plays for people. I have that flexibility to show that I can do all those things. I was stuck in a role, but now they’ll see the real Jordan. That was a small glimpse of me at the combine.”

Walsh is a versatile defender who can guard four positions. His workout list includes nine teams thus far: Boston, Brooklyn, Charlotte, Detroit, Houston, Memphis, Miami, Orlando, San Antonio, and Utah.

... and Andre Jackson Jr.

Andre Jackson Jr. was a rising candidate heading into the combine, and his stock has only risen since. His versatility as a facilitator and defender appeals to NBA teams. The knock on his game is his outside shooting.

He’s worked out for the Pacers and Blazers and reportedly has upcoming workouts with the Celtics and Nets, per our HoopsHype workout tracker.

... and Chris Livingston

Chris Livingston plans to cancel all upcoming workouts, with some around the league thinking he has a promise, HoopsHype has learned.

Livingston has an NBA physique for a wing with explosiveness and would be a potential upside swing for any team that selects him.

At the combine in Chicago, Livingston compared his game to Jimmy Butler and Jaylen Brown. He met with the Jazz and Pistons at the combine. Since then, Livingston has worked out for the Celtics, Hornets, Lakers, and Pacers.

I would be happy with Phillips, Livingston or Walsh. All are young blue chip HS prospects who have the physical tools to be starting NBA wings. Worth the investment...
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2023, 11:15:11 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Athletic lists some non-Top-30 guys they think we should consider.  We've taken a look at some of them:

Jordan Walsh: 6-foot-6 forward, Arkansas
Jaime Jaquez Jr.: 6-foot-6 forward, UCLA
Brandin Podziemski: 6-foot-4 guard, Santa Clara
Amari Bailey: 6-foot-3 guard, UCLA
Jalen Pickett: 6-foot-2 guard, Penn State

https://theathletic.com/4591105/2023/06/08/celtics-2023-nba-draft-pick-35/?source=emp_shared_article

Honestly I'm not sure I'd like any of those guys, haha.  I find Walsh somewhat intriguing in the same way I found Jimmy Butler an intriguing defense-only prospect.  Please do not draft a guard; we don't need a Pritchard replacement via the draft.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2023, 11:35:21 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
The Athletic lists some non-Top-30 guys they think we should consider.  We've taken a look at some of them:

https://theathletic.com/4591105/2023/06/08/celtics-2023-nba-draft-pick-35/?source=emp_shared_article

Honestly I'm not sure I'd like any of those guys, haha.  I find Walsh somewhat intriguing in the same way I found Jimmy Butler an intriguing defense-only prospect.  Please do not draft a guard; we don't need a Pritchard replacement via the draft.

"Is Jordan Walsh the next Jimmy Butler?"
Roy H.

I'm with you on Jordan Walsh, I think he was in a tough situation with the stacked freshman Razorback team and ultimately had to sacrifice for the good of the team. Has great size on the perimeter for the wing position and can find his way on offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQBFadzyz4k&ab_channel=damonallred

Walsh's defensive intensity feels like it will translate immediately.

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2023, 12:03:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Brandin Podziemski sounds interesting. Huge stats. Great shooting numbers. Not much of an athlete by the sounds of things but that shooting ability is attractive. He can pass. He rebounds. Interesting player.

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2023, 12:09:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Roy H.

I'm with you on Jordan Walsh, I think he was in a tough situation with the stacked freshman Razorback team and ultimately had to sacrifice for the good of the team. Has great size on the perimeter for the wing position and can find his way on offense.

I google Jordan Walsh and one of the first articles to come up is from SBNation asking if Jordan Walsh is this year's Herb Jones.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2023/6/7/23750296/phoenix-suns-nba-draft-jordan-walsh-trade-herb-jones

Jordan Walsh's counting stats are terrible. 7ppg in only 24mpg. Awful shooting numbers. Only 28% from 3, only 43% FG%. 4rpg is solid. Only 1apg. 1 turnover per game. 1 steal per game. His defense better be spectacular to overcome that production.

Btw, Herb Jones stats were also miserable as a freshman. Both production and shooting numbers. Herb was a 4yr college guy. A bit better at the end but still weak. 

Strange looking dude. Does Walsh have that no-hair disease (I forget the name) that Charlie Villanueva had?

Edit: Yeah, Jordan Walsh looks good. I see why you guys like him. NBA athlete. NBA defender. NBA rebounder. Offensive game is weak but looks like there is stuff there to work with. Good prospect for a late 1st to 2nd round pick.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 12:16:47 PM by Who »

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2023, 12:20:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
You're not likely to get a complete player in the 2nd round.   They all have warts unless you get a lucky pick.   

The Manu Ginobil,  Paul Milsaps, Maurice Cheeks, Toni Kukoc's, Jokic, Draymond Green, Paul Gasol's of the world are the exception not the norm folks.

Not to mention the Jokics, taken 40th.

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2023, 12:46:58 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Roy H.

I google Jordan Walsh and one of the first articles to come up is from SBNation asking if Jordan Walsh is this year's Herb Jones.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2023/6/7/23750296/phoenix-suns-nba-draft-jordan-walsh-trade-herb-jones

Jordan Walsh's counting stats are terrible. 7ppg in only 24mpg. Awful shooting numbers. Only 28% from 3, only 43% FG%. 4rpg is solid. Only 1apg. 1 turnover per game. 1 steal per game. His defense better be spectacular to overcome that production.

Btw, Herb Jones stats were also miserable as a freshman. Both production and shooting numbers. Herb was a 4yr college guy. A bit better at the end but still weak. 

Strange looking dude. Does Walsh have that no-hair disease (I forget the name) that Charlie Villanueva had?

Edit: Yeah, Jordan Walsh looks good. I see why you guys like him. NBA athlete. NBA defender. NBA rebounder. Offensive game is weak but looks like there is stuff there to work with. Good prospect for a late 1st to 2nd round pick.

Alopecia is the disease that your thinking about and yes it looks like he does.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/jordan-walsh-alopecia-arkansas-hair-condition/xxaxdnquanrsi1hvxcfb1lvo

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2023, 01:08:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
What about James Nnaji?

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2023, 01:13:49 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I see 35th as a pretty good place to be.  More contract flexibility with a second round pick.  Can sign them to a 2-way for example (like we did with Davison).  In that regard having 35 is better than having 29.  Probably end up with pretty much the same player.

As to who to pick, I have no idea.  I am not even going to try and predict or rank them.  In terms of philosophy, I say shoot for the moon.  Go ahead an pick a risky player with upside.  Put them on a 2-way and hope they turn into something useful in a could of years.

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2023, 01:33:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
What about James Nnaji?
I would have expected him to be a mid first rounder given his size & athleticism. Clint Capela like body / athleticism. Looks like has more feel for the game too on some of those short drives.

I'd love to get him as a project big. Like Rob Williams was.

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2023, 02:27:28 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
What about James Nnaji?

Most mocks have him off the board before we pick.  Yahoo had him at #40, I think, but they seemed like the outlier.  Generally he's been viewed as someone going at the end of the first round.  He profiles as someone the C's would pick if he were to be available at #35.  I'm personally a fan, and would hope we could trade #35 and Pritchard to move up for him.

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2023, 09:28:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
ESPN new Mock came out today.  Had Gregory GG Jackson II from South Carolina selected by Boston at 35.  Trace Jackson-Davis from Indiana taken at 34.  Either guy could be a good power forward pick with future starter potential. I think Jackson is the better fit for us, has more ball handling and shooting skill. Jackson-Davis more back to the basket guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ocbigv67-k

He is 6'9", seems to have good wing span (at least 7'), and is only 18. Raw but a lot of potential there.

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2023, 10:54:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
ESPN new Mock came out today.  Had Gregory GG Jackson II from South Carolina selected by Boston at 35.  Trace Jackson-Davis from Indiana taken at 34.  Either guy could be a good power forward pick with future starter potential. I think Jackson is the better fit for us, has more ball handling and shooting skill. Jackson-Davis more back to the basket guy.

He is 6'9", seems to have good wing span (at least 7'), and is only 18. Raw but a lot of potential there.

Man, that guy takes bad stats to a new level.

38% FG%
32% 3PT%
68% FT%
44% TS%

He only averaged 0.8 assists per game compared to 2.7 turnovers per game. That is three turnovers for every assist. He doesn't even average 1 whole assist per game despite taking 14.4 FGAs, 3.9 FTAs and 2.7 turnovers per game. That is 19 possessions a game used for himself vs 0.8 assists given to a teammate. Awful.

His team had a terrible defense despite his size & athleticism.

Not an NBA player. Needs to go abroad for 3-5 years and develop some skills. Try again for the NBA further down the road.

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2023, 07:01:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Man, that guy takes bad stats to a new level.

38% FG%
32% 3PT%
68% FT%
44% TS%

He only averaged 0.8 assists per game compared to 2.7 turnovers per game. That is three turnovers for every assist. He doesn't even average 1 whole assist per game despite taking 14.4 FGAs, 3.9 FTAs and 2.7 turnovers per game. That is 19 possessions a game used for himself vs 0.8 assists given to a teammate. Awful.

His team had a terrible defense despite his size & athleticism.

Not an NBA player. Needs to go abroad for 3-5 years and develop some skills. Try again for the NBA further down the road.
Whilst his shooting %s were terrible, I think the situation at his college was the worst place for him.

He has genuine shot-creation talent and upside. The offence he played in was broken, but he has ability in that regard. The coaching just let him do whatever he pleased - needs to go somewhere where he'll be taught discipline (so maybe not here with Mazz). He's good in the half-court when not allowed to just ISO. His decision-making & where he ends up will be the be-all end-all.

Could be the worst of Josh Smith, or could be legit good. Who knows.

No way would I pick him over TJD
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)