Author Topic: Welcome back Sam Cassell  (Read 9057 times)

Re: Welcome back Sam Casell
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2023, 03:49:58 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
also Add Silas and Rondo. That is a good start.

Silas is going to Detroit.

No interest in Rondo.

May I interest you in one Doc Rivers?

I'm good.

I do hope the Celtics throw a big bucket of money toward whoever the best defensive coach is.  No idea who that is these days.

Supposedly Mazzulla designed the Celtics defense under Udoka (per Brogdan), so perhaps what you want is a coach who can design an offense that goes with the rotations in the Udoka defense.

I'm not sure I believe that Joe designed the defense.  Do you have a link to that Brogdon quote?  Since he wasn't on the team, maybe something go lost in translation.

Here's the quote:

A few guys told me that he was sort of the mastermind behind our defense and everything in the Finals

I assume "in the Finals" isn't meaningless there.  Notably, we lost in the Finals, losing four out of six games.

You're welcome to interpret it how you want.  The full quote is this:

a few guys told me that he was sort of the mastermind behind our defense and everything in the Finals, and his game plan, his adjustments and his scouting reports were really good.

Presumably that's a list of things he did in other than just the Finals (game planning, adjustments, scouting reports).  Otherwise it's weird that all of a sudden in the Finals last year they said "Joe, design the defense, and everything, in the Finals."   They get to the Finals, and all of a sudden they take a guy who hasn't designed anything all year, and hand him the reins for everything?

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2023, 04:02:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No interest in Rondo.

I'm good.

I do hope the Celtics throw a big bucket of money toward whoever the best defensive coach is.  No idea who that is these days.

Supposedly Mazzulla designed the Celtics defense under Udoka (per Brogdan), so perhaps what you want is a coach who can design an offense that goes with the rotations in the Udoka defense.

I'm not sure I believe that Joe designed the defense.  Do you have a link to that Brogdon quote?  Since he wasn't on the team, maybe something go lost in translation.

Here's the quote:

A few guys told me that he was sort of the mastermind behind our defense and everything in the Finals

I assume "in the Finals" isn't meaningless there.  Notably, we lost in the Finals, losing four out of six games.

a few guys told me that he was sort of the mastermind behind our defense and everything in the Finals, and his game plan, his adjustments and his scouting reports were really good.

Presumably that's a list of things he did in other than just the Finals (game planning, adjustments, scouting reports).  Otherwise it's weird that all of a sudden in the Finals last year they said "Joe, design the defense, and everything, in the Finals."   They get to the Finals, and all of a sudden they take a guy who hasn't designed anything all year, and hand him the reins for everything?

Do you think the phrase "in the Finals" is just gratuitous word salad?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Welcome back Sam Cassell
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2023, 04:26:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Boston is currently targeting former Bucks top assistant Charles Lee according to a report from Jake Fischer of Yahoo! Sports.

Lee has been a top assistant for Mike Budenholtzer before he was let go last month by Milwaukee. He was also interviewed for several head coaching openings this year including the Pistons, Raptors, Suns and Bucks opening before those franchises settled on other candidates.

I don't always trust Fischer, but Lee would be a good get.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2023, 04:29:23 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

No interest in Rondo.

I'm good.

Here's the quote:

Do you think the phrase "in the Finals" is just gratuitous word salad?
The full quote is actually this.

What did you know about head coach Joe Mazzulla before you came to Boston?

Nothing. I actually didn’t know anything about him at all. And then once I got here before the [Udoka] situation, a few guys told me that he was sort of the mastermind behind our defense and everything in the Finals, and his game plan, his adjustments and his scouting reports were really good.
https://www.ballysports.com/national/news/malcolm-brogdon-on-celtics-championship-quality-and-joe-mazzulla-the-mastermind

Now, we can parse this a few different ways, because we don't have the audio of him speaking, but considering it's a massive run on sentence I think it's equally reasonable to read it as two separate list items. Who knows. Who cares.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2023, 04:52:21 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Organizing a new coaching team and the systems associated with a new approach and culture, led by a young, inexperienced coach, isn’t ideal. Especially given that this is now a veteran team - a team that should be championship ready.  But… this is current reality and it could go south or it could blossom.  I’ll be hopeful and I’m already excited for 23-24. Looking forward to seeing how PBS forms the coaching staff and roster.  I really want this group of players (at least most of them)  to experience a championship here.  Less than 4 months to training camp and all of that is summer. 

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2023, 05:12:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Boston is currently targeting former Bucks top assistant Charles Lee according to a report from Jake Fischer of Yahoo! Sports.

Lee has been a top assistant for Mike Budenholtzer before he was let go last month by Milwaukee. He was also interviewed for several head coaching openings this year including the Pistons, Raptors, Suns and Bucks opening before those franchises settled on other candidates.

I don't always trust Fischer, but Lee would be a good get.
I've wanted Lee for a while. Would be a very solid add. Suddenly got some good experienced talent to help Joe
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2023, 06:08:21 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

The Big Ticket sat down with Stephen Jackson recently and recounted how Sam Cassell won him over as a veteran during his playing days with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Legendary big man Kevin Garnett recently revealed Sam Cassell was the first player that made him truly value veteran leadership on a team.

“When we got the first place seed, it was obviously a goal the whole year, and it was the way we went about it. We had Sam Cassell, Latrell Sprewell, and Gary Trent; we had different pieces on our team which we thought matched up with some of the goals we were setting for ourselves," KG said.

"And then we actually got there, and Sam Cassell was walking us through. He had been through so many series that he was giving us confidence on playing it out. That's when I really value the veteran, that's when I looked at the veteran to stand up, not the coaches, not not the organization, but the veterans that have been through it they navigated us through,” Garnett added.

Garnett was lucky enough to play alongside Cassell during his Timberwolves tenure, who grew a reputation around the league as a steady presence and natural leader in the locker room.

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2023, 06:18:09 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Do you all remember Sam Cassell as a rookie?  He was an immediate presence and helped the Rockets to a championship.  Same in year 2.

Always saw him as a clutch, smart player.  Idk if this is accurate, but a guy who played better than the sum of his skills (not that he wasn’t skilled).  Love that he’s back in Boston.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 09:57:01 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2023, 06:21:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Do you all remember Sam Cassell as a rookie?  He was an immediate presence and helped the Rockets to a championship.  Same in year 2.

Always saw him as a clutch, smart player.  Idk if this is accurate, but a guy who played better that the sun of his skills (not that he wasn’t skilled).  Love that he’s back in Boston.

That Rockets team had amazing role players.

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2023, 07:35:35 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
Hakeem won the first ring without a true sidekick - and he was MVP, DPOY, and Finals MVP all in the same season. It’s gotta be one of the best regular seasons played

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2023, 09:58:45 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Sam Cassell is a critical hire…if he was the head coach lol. Does Brad & Wyc not understand that the head coach has final say?! They have this situation in reverse.

What is Cassell going to do if he suggests that the Celtics need to make a time-out and…Mazzulla says no.

Giving this move a little more thought, maybe we shouldn't necessarily be celebrating it. To me there's got to be some natural tension that will exist between him and Joe. If they were all in on Joe, I don't think they'd be saddling him with a guy who's been in the running for head coaching jobs recently.

Cassell is only 53 and he's paid his dues in the league. He's kind of the definition of coach in waiting.

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2023, 12:43:12 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Sam Cassell is a critical hire…if he was the head coach lol. Does Brad & Wyc not understand that the head coach has final say?! They have this situation in reverse.

What is Cassell going to do if he suggests that the Celtics need to make a time-out and…Mazzulla says no.

Giving this move a little more thought, maybe we shouldn't necessarily be celebrating it. To me there's got to be some natural tension that will exist between him and Joe. If they were all in on Joe, I don't think they'd be saddling him with a guy who's been in the running for head coaching jobs recently.

Cassell is only 53 and he's paid his dues in the league. He's kind of the definition of coach in waiting.

I think bringing in a bunch of high end (almost ready to be head coach types) has the potential to go south, especially if Joe struggles out of the gate and the assistants can't get through to him.

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2023, 01:44:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I think bringing in a bunch of high end (almost ready to be head coach types) has the potential to go south, especially if Joe struggles out of the gate and the assistants can't get through to him.
Do we think this scenario has not been envisioned by our senior decision-makers? They probably have addressed this to some extent.

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2023, 03:01:23 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Does anybody else remember how horrible he played in the 2008 playoffs? 33% shooting and 20% from 3. I just remember cringing whenever he came in and cursing him saying I would’ve expected more from a veteran. Happy to have him ON THE BENCH THOUGH. 😂

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2023, 03:08:24 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Does anybody else remember how horrible he played in the 2008 playoffs? 33% shooting and 20% from 3. I just remember cringing whenever he came in and cursing him saying I would’ve expected more from a veteran. Happy to have him ON THE BENCH THOUGH. 😂
I mean, he was 38...