Author Topic: Welcome back Sam Cassell  (Read 9118 times)

Welcome back Sam Cassell
« on: June 04, 2023, 08:06:22 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Sam Cassell has agreed to join the Boston Celtics coaching staff under Joe Mazzulla, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 04:09:01 PM by Redz »

Re: Welcome back Sam Casell
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 08:06:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
NICE!  ;D

Still hope we can get a few more assistants, but there's a lot of time. Cassell is a good addition though
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 08:08:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I'd rather have him as head coach than Mazzula.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 08:17:28 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Great news! It's almost like Pierce and KG already knew this was happening a few days ago from their interview.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 08:20:12 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Add Silas, maybe someone like Rondo/Reddick as well and the coaching staff is looking a lot better  :)

Not to make excuses for Mazzulla and his style of play, but he wasn't really put in the best position either being handed the job after the Ime incident right before the season + others leaving (including Stoudemire in-season). A full offseason with more experienced assistants can hopefully help him grow.

I do love the potential of Cassell playing a role in helping the players too. This team does need a bit of "a kick" at times, which Ime did and we made the Finals in 2022. Cassell can hopefully do the same and show Mazzulla the way

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 08:26:02 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Good move

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 08:31:02 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
After watching the show of KG and PP, i was sold on the idea of Cassell coming in to help Joe. Both talked highly of him, specially in terms of player development. Glad Wyc and company made this move. I’m excited to see the Jays develop under Sam!

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 08:38:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
After watching the show of KG and PP, i was sold on the idea of Cassell coming in to help Joe. Both talked highly of him, specially in terms of player development. Glad Wyc and company made this move. I’m excited to see the Jays develop under Sam!

Can KG come back too as an assistant? Doesn't have to be there every game, but every now and then including playoffs just be there to yell at the team if needed  :laugh:

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2023, 09:01:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like him, and I think the players will definitely respect him.

Now let's fill out the bench with more talent.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2023, 09:05:36 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas

Can KG come back too as an assistant? Doesn't have to be there every game, but every now and then including playoffs just be there to yell at the team if needed  :laugh:

Bring in Eddie House as well as a shooting coach!

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 09:14:48 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
I’m looking forward to Sam’s presscon (hopefully there is one). It would be interesting to see his thought process. I think he’s loyal to Doc, and when he didn’t get the HC job at Philly, he already had one foot out the door. I wanna see if KG and PP had anything to do with his signing in Boston.

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2023, 09:23:39 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I’m looking forward to Sam’s presscon (hopefully there is one). It would be interesting to see his thought process. I think he’s loyal to Doc, and when he didn’t get the HC job at Philly, he already had one foot out the door. I wanna see if KG and PP had anything to do with his signing in Boston.

Do assistant coaches normally get press conferences when they’re hired?  I can’t say I’ve seen that.

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 09:28:53 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Cassell was my first choice for head coach when we hired Ime, so bringing him in as an assistant this year sounds great to me. I hope this is just the start, though, because we've lost a lot of experience on the bench.

And I'd still like to see us bring in an assistant with some head coaching experience
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2023, 09:40:12 PM »

Offline terra haute

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
Cassell was my first choice for head coach when we hired Ime, so bringing him in as an assistant this year sounds great to me. I hope this is just the start, though, because we've lost a lot of experience on the bench.

And I'd still like to see us bring in an assistant with some head coaching experience

gritty player , great players seldom make good coaches. As an Indiana U fan he gave us fits as a player on the last great team we had in the NCAA

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2023, 10:04:48 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Think if they can add a guy like Silas from offensive end and maybe someone like Dave Joerger for defense, Cs might be in business.