Author Topic: The Run-It-Back Thread  (Read 5489 times)

Re: The Run-It-Back Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2023, 09:10:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
They need more shooting, and they a defensive coordinator type on the bench

Agreed. Defensive basics have gotten sloppy. They need a top defensive coach to reinstill defensive fundamentals.

Like Thibs once did. Or Ron Adams. Both among the very best assistants in the business when we brought them here and both did a great job. We need that again.

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2023, 09:16:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would love to see Baynes back if he has anything left in the tank

Yeah, if he's healthy, he's what we could use.  I worry about his agility going forward.

The free agents:

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2023-nba-free-agent-top-centers/

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2023-nba-free-agent-top-power-forwards/

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2023, 11:56:04 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Yeah, if he's healthy, he's what we could use.  I worry about his agility going forward.

The free agents:

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2023-nba-free-agent-top-centers/

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2023-nba-free-agent-top-power-forwards/

Looking at the centers list,

I wonder if Vucevic would consider the MLE to have a shot at a title. He is older now. Made money. Played on a lot of mediocre teams. He is at that age where he might consider it. Who knows.

We need to add a bench big who can defend, rebound, and eat minutes.  It's a necessity.  And Ime needs to play him.

Naz Reid could be a good choice for a backup big men. A guy who can eat minutes. Give us some good play.

Next guy I like is Landale out of Phoenix. Another big body who will work hard and eat minutes. Just defend, rebound. Do the dirty work.

Then Biyombo. Good 3rd string center. Can still defend and rebound. Serviceable main backup center if desperate.

Not much to see on the PF list. Unattainabe guys at the top. Difficult to attain after that. Similar to G Will including G Will then. Then inferior players who would do little to help us.

Not much available at PF.

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2023, 07:30:37 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Health: Danilo Gallinari is returning.

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2023, 07:35:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He sadly doesn't. Not at the NBA level at least.

There are others I'd rather. Surprised Roy hasn't mentioned Boogie ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2023, 07:49:54 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
What I’m most worried about in running it back is Horford. We depend on him a LOT! He’s our best interior defender, a key cog in keeping the offense moving, and a huge release valve to ease the pressure off the jays. I’d wager he’s the 2nd most important piece to our offense, after Tatum.

Horford has been able to carry the burden but it’s inevitable that he’s going to start showing his age sooner or later, and I can’t help but feel like this year is going to be the year we’ll feel some of the drop off. There will be flashes of the fountain of youth, for sure, but… yeah. Consistency is bound to take a hit
- LilRip

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2023, 07:53:26 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Been saying this for years, we need a legit big man if we goin win a title….Al is old & Williams injury prone & not a scoring threat..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2023, 09:22:57 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
What I’m most worried about in running it back is Horford. We depend on him a LOT! He’s our best interior defender, a key cog in keeping the offense moving, and a huge release valve to ease the pressure off the jays. I’d wager he’s the 2nd most important piece to our offense, after Tatum.

Horford has been able to carry the burden but it’s inevitable that he’s going to start showing his age sooner or later, and I can’t help but feel like this year is going to be the year we’ll feel some of the drop off. There will be flashes of the fountain of youth, for sure, but… yeah. Consistency is bound to take a hit

He already is showing his age. At least offensively. He was missing wide open shots like no ones business in the playoffs.

With his age and Rob Williams health needing to be managed we need some backup bigs.

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2023, 12:29:53 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I floated the idea of bringing in Rajon Rondo as part of the coaching staff in another thread. I don't know much about what's going on with him right now but I'd love his personality and basketball brain in the locker room.

I worry about the big man rotation. Horford is another year older. As much as I love Rob, he still can't be trusted to stay healthy. I don't know what the answer is there but it feels like that's the weakest part of the rotation if we were to run it back.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2023, 01:23:45 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I'm in favor of keeping Grant Williams. He had his ups and downs this year, but he's a young player who provides versatility on defense as a 4, can guard guys like Embiid and still switch onto wings. He can knock down the 3, and improved on his drives to the basket and his passing game. He's still young, he doesn't need/want the ball in his hands or a bigger role, and he gets along with our core guys. It's hard to replace someone like that if you want to contend. I know we're getting Gallinari back, but we can't rely on him and Horford to hold down the fort long term. Grant is a nice complement to Rob going forward. I still wonder what happened with him and Mazzulla that lead to Grant being out of the rotation late in the season and most of the playoffs.

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2023, 01:32:49 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Does Dwight Howard wanna come back to the NBA? Heard he can take some occasional 3's, which fits under Brad's offensive philosophy  ;)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2023, 01:48:40 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
They cannot run the same team back. They can try to keep JB/JT together for a few more years. But, they need to use the rest of the roster to get another player that fits better, preferably in the front court. They have too many combo guards and not enough front court players.

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2023, 02:23:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Brogdon and JT didn't get hurt, are we in game 2 of the NBA Finals, leading 1-0? 

I think so.

Which is a good case to run this puppy back.  I'm okay with moving Pritchard for future pick, Smart if we can get a good 4 or 5 to replace Al in the next couple of years.

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2023, 03:42:00 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
If Brogdon and JT didn't get hurt, are we in game 2 of the NBA Finals, leading 1-0? 

I think so.

Which is a good case to run this puppy back.  I'm okay with moving Pritchard for future pick, Smart if we can get a good 4 or 5 to replace Al in the next couple of years.

Were we really gonna win four straight against Miami though? C's nearly blew Game 6 if it wasn't for Derrick White's heroic tbh

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2023, 03:48:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Been saying this for years, we need a legit big man if we goin win a title….Al is old & Williams injury prone & not a scoring threat..

This organization doesn’t believe in “ the big man” theory of basketball.  The tall man is never your big money guy . Ended with KG.