Author Topic: Post game interviews were a factor in the game 7 loss?  (Read 1050 times)

Post game interviews were a factor in the game 7 loss?
« on: June 03, 2023, 02:06:20 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
After game six I watched Tatum, Smart and Brown being interviewed by reporters. It seemed to me that the Tatum and Brown interviews were excessively long.

I kept saying to myself, "just shut up and leave." Instead, they kept blabbering. I thought they are putting pressure on themselves by answering these endless questions. Sure enough, in game 7 they were tense. Many of the shots they normally make were not falling.

I partially blame these long interviews for their failure. In situations like this the players should stick to rehearsed phrases and leave as soon as possible.

The interviews reminded me of a few other media distractions that I felt caused teams to lose in the past.

1. Bill Parcells referring to Terry Glenn as a "she." Then came Will McDonough's article about Bill Parcells leaving for NY. The Patriots lost the following playoff (Superbowl?) contest. Many thought the article was a contributing factor.

2. In the middle of a playoff series against Miami(?) Bob Ryan wrote an article highlighting Ray Allen's shooting slump. Instead of letting sleeping dogs lie he made it a major issue. I thought to myself, this is the worst thing Ray needs to read at this time. Sure enough his slump continued throughout the series and the Celtics lost.

3. A few years ago Gonzaga was playing for the National Championship. After winning the semi-finals a couple of the Gonzaga players interviewed for what seemed to be 15 minutes. Again, I thought they were only adding pressure on themselves and would play poorly in the Championship game. They got blown out in the final game.

Nobody can say for certain if these distractions led to any of these teams losing. My feeling is they played an important role. If I were a coach in a playoff situation, I would tell my players to limit their banter with the media. 

Re: Post game interviews were a factor in the game 7 loss?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 03:30:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't think we need to stretch for more excuses
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 06:08:44 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Meh. I do think they celebrated themselves and that game 6 win a little too much, while amazing it meant nothing without winning game 7. They should’ve probably talked less but it had nothing to do with why they lost.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 09:30:17 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Tatum makes 30million this year
Jaylen makes 25 million this year

If answering a few too many questions affects their play that much then that’s their problem to fix, not anyone else’s. 
Greg

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 09:47:17 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Would Tatum having a 30-second press conference have prevented him from landing on Gabe Vincent’s foot after he took that shot?  I don’t think we need to overanalyze his Game 7.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 10:52:56 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This feels like a stretch, even for a salty fan.