Author Topic: Shams: Vogel To Become Suns New Head Coach  (Read 2869 times)

Re: Shams: Vogel To Become Suns New Head Coach
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2023, 09:23:40 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
Bill Simmons take your L

This is the guy I would have liked to see as head coach. Preaches defense and knows Stevens.  ::)

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2023, 09:41:22 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
Bill Simmons take your L

This is the guy I would have liked to see as head coach. Preaches defense and knows Stevens.  ::)

My thoughts exactly. He is a defense-first guy and has dealt with Lebron's ego and won a title.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2023, 09:47:30 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
If Wyc and Brad weren’t so delusional, Vogel should have been our head coach.

You watch Vogel turn them from a bottom six ranked defence into an elite defensive unit.

Luckily we have Mazzulla. He’s the man who turned the Celtics defence from third best in the league, into the eighth.

These guys have broken me with their stupidity.
It’s got to the point where I don’t want to talk about the team on here because it’s too upsetting.

Thank You Ed for articulating exactly how I am feeling.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2023, 09:49:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I never understood the idea that Frank Vogel or Bud would sign on to become an assistant coach under clueless 34 year old 2nd Row Joe. The idea that a championship winning head coach in his 50s or 60s would take this assignment always seemed laughable to me.

If they can't find a head coaching job why not? Possibly rebuild their value and if Celtics win a championship and improve can take credit and get a job the following year

Probably be well-paid assistant and for a host of practical reasons might consider it.  Talented team, mentor a young HC, a lot of influence with less responsibility, building block to next HC gig….

Exactly. There are only a certain amount of head coaching spots available. We've seen guys who've had success as head coaches (Mike D'Antoni, Mike Brown, Kenny Atkinson) go back to assistant roles.
but generally not under an unproven young coach.
What is Willie Green?
D'Antoni was already an assistant. He wasn't coming off a head coach job when he joined the Pelicans.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2023, 10:01:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403

You watch Vogel turn them from a bottom six ranked defence into an elite defensive unit.

Luckily we have Mazzulla. He’s the man who turned the Celtics defence from third best in the league, into the eighth.

It’s got to the point where I don’t want to talk about the team on here because it’s too upsetting.

Phoenix were 7th best in defensive efficiency this year. They were 3rd last year. 9th the year before when they made the Finals.

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2023, 10:02:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
So unless Toronto hires him, where is Doc going lol?

Back to ESPN for analysis.

Doc was very good at that. Be nice to have him back.

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2023, 10:11:22 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1556
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1664670497173536769?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

JUST IN: Frank Vogel is finalizing a deal to become the new head coach of the Phoenix Suns, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.

Better find some other veteran assistants for Mazzulla

BRAVO BRAD u PLUG BRAVO!

missed on nurse now vogel.

another swing and a miss for brad. or is it a strike looking? yeah looking. dude is not even swinging.

his head is completely up his butt. playing tiddly winks 

SMH

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2023, 10:14:04 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1556

celtics ownership and management are a laughing stock now.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2023, 10:19:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It’s looking more and more like Stephen Silas is gonna be our guy.

Yeah.  Is Silas any good?  He's a very experienced assistant, but is probably one of the least successful head coaches in league history.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2023, 10:31:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I am not sure about Vogel. I feel like he is very good when you give him a big lineup to work with. A bully ball type team that can outsize and outphysical opponents. When you give him a different roster, I am not convinced by him at all.

I thought Vogel would have worked well here in Boston with the big lineup of Horford & Rob Williams. Two big wings in Tatum & Jaylen. Big defensive combo guards at PG. That is a strong base for his type of coaching.

I am not sure about Phoenix. Can Vogel use Durant as a big long active roaming defensive PF? Maybe. Will Vogel be creative enough offensively to fully utilize that type of a lineup? Probably not. Can PHO bring in a starting PF to play alongside Ayton and Durant at SF and play super-big in the frontcourt? I bet Vogel would love that and do terrific with that.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what Vogel in Phoenix. Great opportunity for any coach that team is.

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2023, 02:47:32 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Bill Simmons take your L

I was pretty surprised, Bill seemed pretty confident announcing that. He doesn’t often go that all in, he’s more of one to drop nuggets a story, no pun intended.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2023, 04:32:31 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Phoenix basically did what the Celtics chose not to. Kevin Young was the favorite for awhile (to what extent is debatable), until they decided to go with the more experienced Vogel. To keep Young on staff, they made him the highest-paid assistant in the league. You have to wonder if they looked the the Celtics' season and realized a first-time head coach was not the right choice for a team that has to win now before Durant is too old. Durant is going to be 35 next year, after all.

The Cs could have hired Vogel last year, he wasn't working. Mazzula could have been promised the lead assistant job when Ime's guys left at the end of the season. They didn't do it, for whatever reason. Maybe Vogel thought it was too sudden and/or wanted a break, though you'd think it'd be really hard to turn down the Celtics (Vogel also started his career with the Cs during Pitino's regime). Since they clearly wanted Vogel as an assistant this season, you have to assume they like him and were comfortable with him as a head coach too.

Other factors could have been:

1) Money - As long as Wyc is in charge, money is always a factor. He may not have wanted to pay three former head coaches at a time (Brad, half of the suspended Udoka's $4m salary, and the new coach's salary). It seems insane to worry about 2-5 million dollars if you're paying 70mil in luxury taxes, but who knows? I don't know if Vogel was still getting paid by the Lakers after getting fired, but it's possible he would have forfeited that if he took on another job. It would have to have been worth his while if the Celtics weren't offering something commensurate (this is why Detroit had to pay Monty Williams so much - he was still being paid by the Suns and would have collected paychecks for 3 years as long as he was unemployed).

2) The Celtics made a big deal a year ago about hiring a black head coach. The situation was already a PR nightmare, but it would have looked even worse if they suspended/fired him after one year and replaced him with a white coach.

3) Vogel is a defensive guy, like Udoka. The C's problems last season were on offensive turnovers/execution/playmaking. Did they think Mazzulla as HC would improve the offense?