Author Topic: Balancing the stars and the roster, rank those 5 trade idea's!  (Read 1036 times)

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
I guess the next couple of months we will be having plenty of discussions regarding potential trades. Now that it seems inevitable that Joe is staying (don't like it unless we bring in both Silas + Vogel) the second discussion is about the players, the stars and what in my view is a too guard heavy roster.

Then ofcourse we have the whole Jaylen Brown debate. In general i'm a fan but since this year I start to believe that the Jays are not that complimentary and are not covering each others weaknesses. Next to that the 2 things that we need are: a playmaker down the stretch who doesn't turn the ball over and 1 more big.
As Jayson is truly our best player, the question ofcourse is, do we trade Jaylen for another (super)star or two good pieces. Some idea's below, do you approve yes or no. The idea's are covering my doubt whether we should commit 300M in 5y, hence shedding some salary as Tatum will be our supermax is a included in some of the idea's.

Idea 1: Hornets become relevant and we balance the roster but take a shot with a rookie
Jaylen Brown + Marcus Smart or Malcolm Brogdon for 2nd overall pick + PJ Washington.
Charlotte becomes much more relevant with two vets, an all nba wing to keep Lamelo happy and a solid veteran in Smart. They could flip Rozier for another big to cover for Washington.
Washington is just great and I think what we need in Boston. We lose a wing + guard and we get back a true PG in Scoot Henderson and a solid big we at least should be in the rotation, if not starting.

Henderson / White / Tatum / RWIII / Washington
Horford / Brogdon / Gallinari / Pritchard / Grant (although I think we will lose him, and im ok with that).

Idea 2: Portland trade
Jaylen Brown + Marcus Smart for Damian Lillard
OR
Jaylen Brown for #3 and Simmons

I'm all in in getting Dame, I would love him in green, he will be a fan favourite from day 1 and I just think we need a killer like him. It will remind us to the glory days of IT4 but then even better. For Portland its obviously interesting as they can retool around brown, #3 and some other good young players in simmons and sharpe.
Would Brown want this? At least he becomes THE GUY.

Lillard / White / Tatum / Galinari / RW
Horford / Brogdon / Pritchard / big / Grant (you kinda need to resign him in this scenario)

The idea for #3 is tricky. I'm not sure Brandon Miller would be good for us. I'm more a Scoot fan. That being said, looking at the Hornets situation. Miller might just be a better fit next to Ball. So maybe Scoot will drop to #3? If we take Miller we could still flip him for another good big / close to allstar player.

Idea 3: It would be a shocker and nobody is looking at this but what about:
Jaylen Brown for RJ Barrett + Josh Hart (S&T) + Isiaih Hartenstein + 2024 FRP + 2026 FRP
New York gets a big 3 with Randle and Brunson, Brown might actually fit not too bad.
I really like Barrett and I think he has another level to go, he could be an allstar. Tatum gets a fellow duky and we get some good tough players in Hart/Hartenstein. 2 FRP to sweeten the deal, maybe too much (could be 1 FRP)

Smart / White / Barrett / Tatum / RWIII
Brogdon / Hart / Horford / Hartenstein / Pritchard / Galinari / Grant (he can leave)

Idea 4:
Jaylen Brown for Karl Anthony Towns
I'm not sure, it would balance our roster and maybe KAT needs a fresh start. That being said, we trade a proven winner for somebody who has not been a winner at all. Still, looking at some Timberwolves games he actually plays 'hard' most of the times. That being said, I think we trade a low IQ player in Brown for another pretty low IQ player (very foul prone).
Still interesting as KAT has tremendous amount of talent and would cover that C position for us.

Smart / White / Tatum / RWIII / KAT
Horford / Brogdon / Galinari / Pritchard / Grant (could leave)

Idea 5: Brown goes home
We criticize him probably more than anything but what about:
Jaylen Brown + Marcus Smart for Trae Young + John Collins

We have our PG scorer and playmaker but we get another immediate weakness with Young and his defense. Getting Collins, although not a huge fan would be good for balancing our roster a little bit.

Young / White / Tatum / Collins / RWIII
Horford / Brogdon / Galinari / Pritchard / Grant

Conclusion:
Some tricky but interesting thoughts and it would defnitely worth to consider all of them with Brown his supermax looming. Also I'm a bit sick of all the TO, stupid plays and trigger happy shots, been bad in big moments. As you can see, I truly hope PP gets another shot. I think he can be in our rotation hence i'm ok losing 1 of Brogdon/Smart.

Ranking the idea's I would go:
1. Lillard trade
2. NYK trade
3. Hornets trade
4. KAT trade
5. ATL trade

Some other honarary mentions: Go for Bradley Beal + Kuzma, still really expensive but can we rejuvenate Beal, it would make Tatum happy...
Houston trade for #4 + Sengun + Tari Eason + FRP

Let me know your thought's on the 5 idea's above!

Re: Balancing the stars and the roster, rank those 5 trade idea's!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 09:54:03 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I have strong interest in three of them.

1 - Towns trade
2 - Simons & #3 trade
3 - Lillard trade

Leaning towards a no on the next to. I'd rather keep JB.

4 - Trae trade
5 - #2 & PJ Washington trade

Definite no on the last one.

6 - RJ Barrett

I really like Towns next to Tatum. I believe he'd be a partner in crime for Tatum than JB is. I am warming up to A Simons & the #3 pick package. Lillard is also an exciting name. I am worried about his age but like him enough to still be interested.

Trae is good value for JB but I don't like building a team around him. Just don't like Trae's game. Too flawed. Too awkward. Everything has to become about him and working around both his strengths & his weaknesses almost at all times. The #2 is interesting. Not that impressed by PJ Washington. Solid bench piece; not a starter. The #2 and Scoot is interesting but I'd like another more valuable piece alongside him. That is why I like the A Simons part in POR. Charlotte don't have anyone like that. Maybe a 3rd team with Rozier going there for someone interesting coming our way. Maybe.

I liked RJ Barrett coming into the league but I have been disappointed in his lack of progress. I won't give up a prize like JB for him. I see his value closer to Marcus Smart. RJ Barrett is still too inefficient scoring wise, undependable outside shooter, and, his playmaking his limited by his bad shot to low utility. Not worth JB.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 10:00:01 AM by Who »

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 10:57:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A high pick isn't likely to be as good as Brown for 3-4 years.   That wastes Tatum's prime....

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 11:09:28 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
A high pick isn't likely to be as good as Brown for 3-4 years.   That wastes Tatum's prime....

Exactly, we are looking for the right piece to win a title now, not a draft pick or young player that might be good in a few years.  Unless it is some kind of a 3 way where the pick goes to another team and a a veteran high end player comes to us, I see no point in including picks for the Celtics. 

I also agree with Who that the only trade of that list that makes sense to me is the simple one, Brown for Towns.  I have my doubts that MIN would do it but maybe.  I think they are going to give their current roster another run, not change it this off season, but Brown is a pretty intriguing piece for any team.  Offering Brown would at least get them thinking.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 11:12:45 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I'm with you. The Celtcis are in a won now mode, and any changes should involve veterans and not rookies.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 12:13:52 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I guess the next couple of months we will be having plenty of discussions regarding potential trades. Now that it seems inevitable that Joe is staying (don't like it unless we bring in both Silas + Vogel) the second discussion is about the players, the stars and what in my view is a too guard heavy roster.

Then ofcourse we have the whole Jaylen Brown debate. In general i'm a fan but since this year I start to believe that the Jays are not that complimentary and are not covering each others weaknesses. Next to that the 2 things that we need are: a playmaker down the stretch who doesn't turn the ball over and 1 more big.
As Jayson is truly our best player, the question ofcourse is, do we trade Jaylen for another (super)star or two good pieces. Some idea's below, do you approve yes or no. The idea's are covering my doubt whether we should commit 300M in 5y, hence shedding some salary as Tatum will be our supermax is a included in some of the idea's.

Idea 1: Hornets become relevant and we balance the roster but take a shot with a rookie
Jaylen Brown + Marcus Smart or Malcolm Brogdon for 2nd overall pick + PJ Washington.
Charlotte becomes much more relevant with two vets, an all nba wing to keep Lamelo happy and a solid veteran in Smart. They could flip Rozier for another big to cover for Washington.
Washington is just great and I think what we need in Boston. We lose a wing + guard and we get back a true PG in Scoot Henderson and a solid big we at least should be in the rotation, if not starting.

Henderson / White / Tatum / RWIII / Washington
Horford / Brogdon / Gallinari / Pritchard / Grant (although I think we will lose him, and im ok with that).

Idea 2: Portland trade
Jaylen Brown + Marcus Smart for Damian Lillard
OR
Jaylen Brown for #3 and Simmons

I'm all in in getting Dame, I would love him in green, he will be a fan favourite from day 1 and I just think we need a killer like him. It will remind us to the glory days of IT4 but then even better. For Portland its obviously interesting as they can retool around brown, #3 and some other good young players in simmons and sharpe.
Would Brown want this? At least he becomes THE GUY.

Lillard / White / Tatum / Galinari / RW
Horford / Brogdon / Pritchard / big / Grant (you kinda need to resign him in this scenario)

The idea for #3 is tricky. I'm not sure Brandon Miller would be good for us. I'm more a Scoot fan. That being said, looking at the Hornets situation. Miller might just be a better fit next to Ball. So maybe Scoot will drop to #3? If we take Miller we could still flip him for another good big / close to allstar player.

Idea 3: It would be a shocker and nobody is looking at this but what about:
Jaylen Brown for RJ Barrett + Josh Hart (S&T) + Isiaih Hartenstein + 2024 FRP + 2026 FRP
New York gets a big 3 with Randle and Brunson, Brown might actually fit not too bad.
I really like Barrett and I think he has another level to go, he could be an allstar. Tatum gets a fellow duky and we get some good tough players in Hart/Hartenstein. 2 FRP to sweeten the deal, maybe too much (could be 1 FRP)

Smart / White / Barrett / Tatum / RWIII
Brogdon / Hart / Horford / Hartenstein / Pritchard / Galinari / Grant (he can leave)

Idea 4:
Jaylen Brown for Karl Anthony Towns
I'm not sure, it would balance our roster and maybe KAT needs a fresh start. That being said, we trade a proven winner for somebody who has not been a winner at all. Still, looking at some Timberwolves games he actually plays 'hard' most of the times. That being said, I think we trade a low IQ player in Brown for another pretty low IQ player (very foul prone).
Still interesting as KAT has tremendous amount of talent and would cover that C position for us.

Smart / White / Tatum / RWIII / KAT
Horford / Brogdon / Galinari / Pritchard / Grant (could leave)

Idea 5: Brown goes home
We criticize him probably more than anything but what about:
Jaylen Brown + Marcus Smart for Trae Young + John Collins

We have our PG scorer and playmaker but we get another immediate weakness with Young and his defense. Getting Collins, although not a huge fan would be good for balancing our roster a little bit.

Young / White / Tatum / Collins / RWIII
Horford / Brogdon / Galinari / Pritchard / Grant

Conclusion:
Some tricky but interesting thoughts and it would defnitely worth to consider all of them with Brown his supermax looming. Also I'm a bit sick of all the TO, stupid plays and trigger happy shots, been bad in big moments. As you can see, I truly hope PP gets another shot. I think he can be in our rotation hence i'm ok losing 1 of Brogdon/Smart.

Ranking the idea's I would go:
1. Lillard trade
2. NYK trade
3. Hornets trade
4. KAT trade
5. ATL trade

Some other honarary mentions: Go for Bradley Beal + Kuzma, still really expensive but can we rejuvenate Beal, it would make Tatum happy...
Houston trade for #4 + Sengun + Tari Eason + FRP

Let me know your thought's on the 5 idea's above!

Trade # 1:

CHA wouldn't do this. They stink, even with Brown they probably aren't competing next year, Brown can't be extended and I doubt he re-signs there given market and quality of team. CHA would be crazy where they are at to trade a high pick for a 1 year veteran rental.
BOS doesn't do this either. They are trying to win now, Scoot may be amazing but probably not for 3-4 years They aren't using Tatum's prime waiting on a 19 year old.

Trade #2 A:
POR doesn't do this. If they trade Lillard for Brown they will again be bad next year, Brown isn't re-signing to that team so trading the franchise icon for a 1 year rental isn't going to happen.
Boston also doesn't do it. Lillard is old, doesn't really defend, and has the same large contract as Brown. If he was 3 years younger maybe. Not with him entering age 33. Again, have to consider the contract. Its half the reason they would trade Brown. Swapping him for a guy on just as large a contract doesn't really solve the CBA issues they have.

Trade #2 B:
POR probably doesn't do this. Again, re-signing Brown issue. With Lillard and Brown the team is better, but is Brown going to attach himself to a 34 year old Lillard on a small market team that's still not good enough? I doubt it. But even if he did that's suddenly a lot of money between two guys for Portland, not sure that's a smart cap situation to be in. POR is in a hard spot, paying Lillard so much money makes it hard to put a team together.
Boston Also doesn't do this. Again, not waiting on a #3 pick to be be good. Can't imagine with the roster Boston has they are taking the draft pick approach.

Trade #3:

Okay, here's one the other team should do. Because New York might be a place Brown would re-sign, and a Brunson/Brown duo is a good start. Still, they'd need assurances from Brown which maybe they'd get.
But this is not a good deal for BOS. Barret is just....not that good. A couple late firsts from New York is not that good. And the Hart component doesn't work because Boston would be over the apron so they can't take a player back in a S&T. This is a classic 3 quarters for a dollar trade. Hard no.

Trade #4:

Minnesota might want to to do this, but probably wouldn't get enough from Brown to risk it.  KAT is under a much longer term contract so its a huge risk for them, with Ant+Gobert+Brown they MIGHT be good enough to get Brown to re-sign. Still it's Minnesota, which might as well be Siberia to a lot of NBA players. I doubt they'd get an assurance from Brown that he's re-signing which kills this deal.
But Boston would 100% NOT do this. KAT is already on the super max, so he has the same long term cap issues as Brown. Also, he is a terrible defender who plays he most important defensive position in the league. Solves none of Boston's long term CBA issues and creates real playoff defensive issues for them. Just don't think this is really an upgrade.

Trade #5:
This makes some sense for Atlanta do this. A Murray/Brown pairing is a good start. Still, swapping 3 years of Trae for Brown on an expiring is a huge risk. They'd need assurances that he'd re-sign, but is that team going to be good enough that Brown re-signs? Not sure.
But from BOS, no. Trading Brown for a small point guard just seems like a bad idea for trying to win in the playoffs. I'm just not sold on Trae being a guy who helps in the playoffs. Creates a major defensive weakness other teams can pick at.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 12:20:20 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 06:48:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't know if this is necessarily true (guys like Banchero and Mobley are not on the same level, but close), but the flexibility of having less financial constraints and perhaps a better balanced team may offset this.

Tatum is also 25 years old. He will likely be an elite player for at least 7 more years, especially given his durability.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)