Author Topic: KAT idea (link)  (Read 7270 times)

Re: KAT idea (link)
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2023, 04:13:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
KAT is one of the softest players in the league. And he's won a total of 4 playoff games in his career. Keep him far away from Boston please.
Too many fans see the numbers and think - oh he'd be good. For one thing it would mean deploying too many assets to a position that won't help you win more games. Horford even at his advancing age is light years ahead of Towns defensively. You still win games in this league by getting stops when it matters. Any team Towns has played on hasn't gotten many of those.

All of this.  I live in the Twin Cities, so I am surrounded by TWolf fans, and they all want KAT gone ASAP.  Dude just doesn't play winning basketball.  He's still fairly young so maybe he can turn it around, but dude is coming up on his 9th season.  At some point he just is what he is.
Who on the TWolves does / has ever played winning basketball?

KG, Jimmy Butler, Sam Cassell, Kevin Love.  They've had great/good players in their history, they just always manage to screw it up.
The point being that none of those players managed to do too much better than KAT, besides KG
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2023, 06:54:50 AM »

Online LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 393
And here’s a hot take from me: I think the whole “soft” thing is overblown. That was what, 5 years ago? Not crazy to think a young player could mature /improve in 5 years.

That said, I don’t think KAT’s a defensive stopper. But he is pretty dang good offensively. Plus, he and Tatum can benefit from each others game if they play 2-man. JB and Tatum have a hard time playing 2-man because neither are a roll threat, their defenders are both wing defenders, and so they don’t force the mismatches. It’s a Horford-Tatum 2-man game which is most effective for us. Or TL-Tatum
- LilRip

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2023, 07:18:32 AM »

Offline Indocelts

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 230
KAT is one of the softest players in the league. And he's won a total of 4 playoff games in his career. Keep him far away from Boston please.
Too many fans see the numbers and think - oh he'd be good. For one thing it would mean deploying too many assets to a position that won't help you win more games. Horford even at his advancing age is light years ahead of Towns defensively. You still win games in this league by getting stops when it matters. Any team Towns has played on hasn't gotten many of those.

All of this.  I live in the Twin Cities, so I am surrounded by TWolf fans, and they all want KAT gone ASAP.  Dude just doesn't play winning basketball.  He's still fairly young so maybe he can turn it around, but dude is coming up on his 9th season.  At some point he just is what he is.

KG, Jimmy Butler, Sam Cassell, Kevin Love.  They've had great/good players in their history, they just always manage to screw it up.
The point being that none of those players managed to do too much better than KAT, besides KG

Those players did much better outside Minnesota. It's not the players,  but the team that failed.

Go get KAT.

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2023, 07:21:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Those players did much better outside Minnesota. It's not the players,  but the team that failed.

Go get KAT.
Kareem would have struggled in Minny. #saveKAT

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2023, 07:26:00 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Love see KAT here & think he would strive here alongside Brown & Tatum but how would salary work? Having those 3 might hurt our cap, don’t know..but Minnesota would want Brown probably
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2023, 07:55:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Love see KAT here & think he would strive here alongside Brown & Tatum but how would salary work? Having those 3 might hurt our cap, don’t know..but Minnesota would want Brown probably
Would be very hard to get KAT without sending Brown

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2023, 08:01:35 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Brown is NOT going be traded unless he ask for a trade
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2023, 08:34:25 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We are all already complaining about our defense, can you imagine what would happen if we traded 3 guys who made All-Defensive Teams over the last two seasons (or won DPOY in Marcus' case) for KAT?

If KAT had a more reasonable contract moving forward, then I could see an argument for trading Jaylen, but it doesn't make any sense to trade an efficient, high scoring, two-way wing for a big who isn't a major positive on D if they are both going to be making gargantuan money

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2023, 08:57:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
We are all already complaining about our defense, can you imagine what would happen if we traded 3 guys who made All-Defensive Teams over the last two seasons (or won DPOY in Marcus' case) for KAT?

If KAT had a more reasonable contract moving forward, then I could see an argument for trading Jaylen, but it doesn't make any sense to trade an efficient, high scoring, two-way wing for a big who isn't a major positive on D if they are both going to be making gargantuan money
It would be much wiser to swap Brown for KAT. KAT is a better offensive player than Brown, quite easily so, and could be a decent 5 defensively here.

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2023, 10:15:15 AM »

Online LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 393

It would be much wiser to swap Brown for KAT. KAT is a better offensive player than Brown, quite easily so, and could be a decent 5 defensively here.

The defense… given what we’ve seen with Gobert, is there any reason to believe that KAT can play alongside a big like with a Horford? Or will KAT’s best pairing be with a conventional 4 like Grant or a fast 4 like Tatum?
- LilRip

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2023, 11:08:26 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Small sample size but I found this very interesting:

Games played between Towns and Embiid.

Embiid has won 7 and Towns 3. Over the past few years, Embiid has feasted on Towns as well.

Games played between Horford and Embiid:

Horford has won 18
Embiid has won 7

Now, I am not saying Horford is light years ahead of Embiid and he is not at the age where decline is inevitable but I am saying that Towns will not make us better vs a team like the Sixers and a big man like Embiid.  In the end, the most important stat might be winning. Is Towns capable of improving his defense? probably not is my guess.

Now, as far as offense goes, our offense would be better with Towns for sure but our offense will not get us into the finals or past a team like the Sixers in the future.

How many amazing offensive first teams have won titles over the years? A strong defense is always essential in getting to and winning the finals cause it assures you a chance in tight games when your offense goes through inevitable slumps(cough cough).

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2023, 11:32:33 AM »

Offline Indocelts

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 230

Love to see this happen,.

I don't consider Brown an efficient offensive player, not when his  3pt% is the worst among the Celtics. And dont forget his FT % too.

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2023, 11:48:31 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Plus eminently more realistic trade for both sides.  Trying to package players other than Brown or Tatum for KAT is a waste of time and space.

(for record, I am very skeptical of Towns coming here.  I'd be more excited about a trade with ATL for some combination of Okongwu, Jalen Johnson, Hunter and Collins).

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2023, 11:52:18 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
KAT is just Mark Blount with skill lol. Don’t want a soft big man on this team that already has questionable mental toughness.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2023, 12:08:13 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
When Conley was complaining about guys putting more work into video games than basketball, I wonder who he was talking about? Maybe it was local Call of Duty champ KAT.