Author Topic: KAT idea (link)  (Read 7146 times)

KAT idea (link)
« on: June 02, 2023, 08:50:15 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
We've seen a lot of KAT ideas over the years. Now that they have two centers (and that didn't work) maybe it's a good time to fo after him.

Of course with new salary cap structure, keeping g 3 giant salaries would be basically impossible. This guy idea is to give up a lot of young(ish) pieces and would obviously be a last ditch effort to win with current core group in next year or two.

https://fadeawayworld.net/boston-celtics-land-karl-anthony-towns-in-a-much-needed-trade-scenario-and-create-a-big-three-this-summer

Smart, Williams, White and two firsts.

KAT Muscala. Kornet
Al  Gallo
Tatum. Hauser
Brown
Brogdon. Pritchard?

The bench would be gutted. Starting 5 would be huge. MYbe Pritchard could be traded for a backup forward. Or maybe he could be convinced to stay as he would likely be 6th or 7th man in this roster.

Re: KAT idea (link)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 09:04:19 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think it is unrealistic to think you could get Towns without JB in the deal

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 09:42:10 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I’d trade for KAT. We’d need a wing so hopefully we can get KAT+Prince or something for like JB and a 2nd.

TL/KAT/Tatum/White/Smart

a more balanced starting 5 imo
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 09:46:06 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Smart, Williams, White > JB

I'd rather trade JB. Him and Towns will get in each other's way. Eat into each other's touches & shot attempts. As they will Tatum's. Only one ball. Only so many shots to go around.

Better to have two guys (Towns, Tatum) and a high quality supporting cast than the three guys (Towns, Tatum, Jaylen) and a low quality supporting cast.

Edit: Oh gawd, I just Brogdon would be staying. Another guy who wants shots and will compete with his teammates for them. Stealing them from better scorers like Tatum & Towns. Too much me-first guys. Need some team-first guys. We're sending them all out (except Big Al) in this deal. Keep them. Ship JB.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 10:07:02 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
KAT is one of the softest players in the league. And he's won a total of 4 playoff games in his career. Keep him far away from Boston please.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 10:45:41 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
KAT is one of the softest players in the league. And he's won a total of 4 playoff games in his career. Keep him far away from Boston please.
Too many fans see the numbers and think - oh he'd be good. For one thing it would mean deploying too many assets to a position that won't help you win more games. Horford even at his advancing age is light years ahead of Towns defensively. You still win games in this league by getting stops when it matters. Any team Towns has played on hasn't gotten many of those.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 11:17:08 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Too many fans see the numbers and think - oh he'd be good. For one thing it would mean deploying too many assets to a position that won't help you win more games. Horford even at his advancing age is light years ahead of Towns defensively. You still win games in this league by getting stops when it matters. Any team Towns has played on hasn't gotten many of those.

All of this.  I live in the Twin Cities, so I am surrounded by TWolf fans, and they all want KAT gone ASAP.  Dude just doesn't play winning basketball.  He's still fairly young so maybe he can turn it around, but dude is coming up on his 9th season.  At some point he just is what he is. 

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 11:54:13 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
They 100% are not trading JB for KAT. He is already inked to a Super Max contract, so he has all the same long term cap issues that just signing JB would have. Then there's the fact that he is a player who has to play center, the most important defensive position, and is bad at it. That's a hard no.

But this deal is even more unrealistic. Sure, you can get to the salary. And maybe even MIN would consider it. But Boston would never do it. Three super max guys going forward doesn't work financially. Its a no go.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 12:29:57 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
They 100% are not trading JB for KAT. He is already inked to a Super Max contract, so he has all the same long term cap issues that just signing JB would have. Then there's the fact that he is a player who has to play center, the most important defensive position, and is bad at it. That's a hard no.

But this deal is even more unrealistic. Sure, you can get to the salary. And maybe even MIN would consider it. But Boston would never do it. Three super max guys going forward doesn't work financially. Its a no go.

Towns contract is actually a little different than what Brown's will be if he extends.  Towns will make $36M next season, Brown about $32.  After that though, Towns will have 4 years and $225 remaining (starting at $50M) where Brown would have 5 years and $295M remaining, at least that seems to be the number being reported.  I think to get to $295M, Brown's contract would have to start a little higher.  Not all that much difference though.

I agree that there are major hurdles to this deal happening now.  Brown could be a nice piece for MIN, but they would be taking the chance that they would not be able to extend him.  They have Towns all locked up right now.  I suspect that MIN is going to run it back with Towns and maybe trade him next off season, when his contact balloons, if they trade him at all.  From the Celtics perspective, I see Towns as comparable talent to Brown, all star, occasional all NBA.  But he plays a position that is more complementary to Tatum.

I feel on the Celtics, that Towns would be a perennial All-NBA caliber player.  He is not quite Jokic or Giannis or Embiid, but one of the top bigs in the game.  I don't care if you want to call him a PF or call him a C.  That is how teams win, a top big and a top wing.  Right now, we have 2 top wings but not close to a top big.  I admit to having some hesitation but if MIN were interested, I give this a ton of thought, and probably do it.  There is risk in making such a big change to what is already a good team, so as I said, I have some hesitation, but I love the thought of Tatum and Towns, the 2 Ts instead of the 2 Js.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 12:45:09 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Towns contract is actually a little different than what Brown's will be if he extends.  Towns will make $36M next season, Brown about $32.  After that though, Towns will have 4 years and $225 remaining (starting at $50M) where Brown would have 5 years and $295M remaining, at least that seems to be the number being reported.  I think to get to $295M, Brown's contract would have to start a little higher.  Not all that much difference though.

I agree that there are major hurdles to this deal happening now.  Brown could be a nice piece for MIN, but they would be taking the chance that they would not be able to extend him.  They have Towns all locked up right now.  I suspect that MIN is going to run it back with Towns and maybe trade him next off season, when his contact balloons, if they trade him at all.  From the Celtics perspective, I see Towns as comparable talent to Brown, all star, occasional all NBA.  But he plays a position that is more complementary to Tatum.

I feel on the Celtics, that Towns would be a perennial All-NBA caliber player.  He is not quite Jokic or Giannis or Embiid, but one of the top bigs in the game.  I don't care if you want to call him a PF or call him a C.  That is how teams win, a top big and a top wing.  Right now, we have 2 top wings but not close to a top big.  I admit to having some hesitation but if MIN were interested, I give this a ton of thought, and probably do it.  There is risk in making such a big change to what is already a good team, so as I said, I have some hesitation, but I love the thought of Tatum and Towns, the 2 Ts instead of the 2 Js.

Actually no. The first year of the extension for both is in 24-25m, and starts at 50 million. The ONLY difference in their contracts (assuming Brown gets full 35% max) is Brown would have an extra year at the end of 66 million dollars in his age 32 season. Otherwise starting points, raises, exactly the same. They are even the same age.  He has all the same second apron issues Brown would.

He's a fine fit for Tatum on offense. The issue is he is just a killer for your defense playing center, that's why Min went all in on Gobert. The idea being "sure, our defense is bad but maybe a DPOY level guy can cover it. and he has to play center because he can't guard anybody on the perimeter. I'd just rather have Brown. I think the trade makes the C's worse.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 12:57:58 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 01:02:34 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Actually no. The first year of the extension for both is in 24-25m, and starts at 50 million. The ONLY difference in their contracts (assuming Brown gets full 35% max) is Brown would have an extra year at the end of 66 million dollars in his age 32 season. Otherwise starting points, raises, exactly the same. They are even the same age.  He has all the same second apron issues Brown would.

He's a fine fit for Tatum on offense. The issue is he is just a killer for your defense playing center, that's why Min went all in on Gobert. The idea being "sure, our defense is bad but maybe a DPOY level guy can cover it. and he has to play center because he can't guard anybody on the perimeter. I'd just rather have Brown. I think the trade makes the C's worse.

Brown is a better defensive center than Towns. The guy just doesn't compete. And he'd get shredded by the media here.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2023, 06:41:31 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
There are a lot of red flags that scream to me that Towns is a bad idea. I think my key question is, can we deploy a defense where if Rob is healthy, KAT plays center and RW plays 2nd big and roams, Ime style.

I think KAT and Tatum could potentially form the 2nd best offensive 2 man game duo in the NBA behind Jokic and Murray. Especially if we're stuck with Joe. But Towns' softness, fouling and lack of defense are concerns.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 06:51:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

All of this.  I live in the Twin Cities, so I am surrounded by TWolf fans, and they all want KAT gone ASAP.  Dude just doesn't play winning basketball.  He's still fairly young so maybe he can turn it around, but dude is coming up on his 9th season.  At some point he just is what he is.
Who on the TWolves does / has ever played winning basketball?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 06:52:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Brown is a better defensive center than Towns. The guy just doesn't compete. And he'd get shredded by the media here.
This is just nonsense.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2023, 02:55:50 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Who on the TWolves does / has ever played winning basketball?

KG, Jimmy Butler, Sam Cassell, Kevin Love.  They've had great/good players in their history, they just always manage to screw it up.