Author Topic: Joe Mazzulla returning for 2023-24 season  (Read 8885 times)

Re: Joe Mazzulla returning for 2023-24 season
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2023, 05:59:45 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Championship under his Belt..

Knows the GAME..

Scalabrine would make a great coach...

*sippin*

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2023, 06:02:39 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I don't know. I feel like it could have gone alot worse with a rookie head coach with no time to plan. Our offense was the best it's been in years for most of the year.

I also feel like shuffling head coaches every off season comes with a certain level of risk. Brad's not an idiot. He's had ALOT more exposure to Joe than the public has. Maybe they are trying to take the stability approach as our stars just enter their prime?
#JKJB

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2023, 06:16:26 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I respect this way of doing business. I think Joe did a fine job last season. His mistakes were put under a microscope by a fanbase that is known for its critical nature. He became the lightning rod for every frustrating loss by one of the most frustrating teams in sports, even if it wasn't always (or mostly) his fault. He contributed both bad and good.

I respect BS's commitment to consistency and loyalty, and think Joe showed enough to earn a second season.

On the other hand, I think the roster needs a shakeup. Not sure what that means, but adding Gallo to the rotation is probably not enough to improve the big man rotation, and I think we need a more dynamic guard to help with scoring.

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2023, 06:26:38 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Some people talk about process, and things taking time, and there's a lot of truth to that, but this team needs to grow beyond being a team that just gets to the ECF (and a one-off NBA Finals loss). I know, I'm just an entitled fan. I get it. But this is the Boston Celtics, for Pete's sake. Since the last Bird title ('86), the Celtics have 1 championship ... and the Lakers have 8. EIGHT. I get that L.A. is a more attractive locale than Boston to many people, but please find a way to correct this injustice.

Good post, but I want to highlight something interesting that I read somewhere else on the Coaching/GM/Ownership triangle: that coaches care about process, owners care about results, and executives care about a mix of the two. I'd link to iut, but unfortunately I can't remember where I read it.

If we take this as a reasonable breakdown, Stevens obviously leans more towards the process, Wyc & company are probably happy enough with the results (aside from the opening matches of the ECF) given the circumstances - losing in 7 vs winning in 7 - and the thought process is that having continuity at the head coaching position is important, especially with the slap dash nature of the coaching circle this season.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2023, 06:27:16 PM »

Offline DocomoCelts

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24
I don’t blame Joe, as he really is the Accidental Head Coach, but it’s a real shame that we’re leaving the Jays, and the incredible amount of money we’re sinking into them, in the hands of an amateur.

Will have to remind myself not to be too disappointed with the Playoffs Participation trophy.

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2023, 06:38:48 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Some people talk about process, and things taking time, and there's a lot of truth to that, but this team needs to grow beyond being a team that just gets to the ECF (and a one-off NBA Finals loss). I know, I'm just an entitled fan. I get it. But this is the Boston Celtics, for Pete's sake. Since the last Bird title ('86), the Celtics have 1 championship ... and the Lakers have 8. EIGHT. I get that L.A. is a more attractive locale than Boston to many people, but please find a way to correct this injustice.

Good post, but I want to highlight something interesting that I read somewhere else on the Coaching/GM/Ownership triangle: that coaches care about process, owners care about results, and executives care about a mix of the two. I'd link to iut, but unfortunately I can't remember where I read it.

If we take this as a reasonable breakdown, Stevens obviously leans more towards the process, Wyc & company are probably happy enough with the results (aside from the opening matches of the ECF) given the circumstances - losing in 7 vs winning in 7 - and the thought process is that having continuity at the head coaching position is important, especially with the slap dash nature of the coaching circle this season.

I understand wanting stability, but I think they made a mistake by giving the reins to Joe in the first place, and compounded it by extending him. I feel like the price of this stability will be a retarded growth process for the team as they wait for their coach to catch up.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2023, 06:40:17 PM »

• Satch Sanders
I don’t blame Joe, as he really is the Accidental Head Coach, but it’s a real shame that we’re leaving the Jays, and the incredible amount of money we’re sinking into them, in the hands of an amateur.

Will have to remind myself not to be too disappointed with the Playoffs Participation trophy.

Yeah. I feel like the powers that be aren't really expecting a title before, like, 2026 (at least), which makes me feel like not even bothering to follow the team between now and then.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2023, 06:52:26 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

This is quite a take. The last 20 years of Celtic basketball have been, all told, fantastic.

If we take 2008 as year zero, 75% of the league have not won a championship since our last ring - and that's before we get to James & Curry winning more than half the available rings in that span (until the close of Miami Nuggets, when they will have won exactly half). It's been slim pickings for anyone who isn't a frontrunner, but that's what two game-warping talents will do to the rest of the league.

3 Finals appearances in 15 years, after a total rebuild, is pretty great. It's a bit sad that people think it isn't.

I understand wanting stability, but I think they made a mistake by giving the reins to Joe in the first place, and compounded it by extending him. I feel like the price of this stability will be a retarded growth process for the team as they wait for their coach to catch up.
Yeah it's possible - I assume they bring in Silas (and possibly Vogel if he doesn't go to Phoenix) and try to rebuild what they had going at the start of the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Celtics put together another 55+ win season, though.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2023, 07:05:34 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
I'm disappointed but I try to be hopeful even in the face of evidence that hope may be less than wise.   It's just that I get nothing out of the negativity and this is about entertainment (for me).

I have big doubts about Mazzulla but I do have trust in Brad.  I think Brad is smart and I also think he knows a whole lot more about the current situation than I do.   He sees something in Mazz that makes him think he'll be better in Year 2.  OK -- I guess we'll see.   I hope they'll get serious about better utilizing their talent on offense (not the 3 or die mentality), and of course I hope they'll address the mental let-downs this team obviously has.

But since the die has been cast, I'll hope that a 34-year old rookie HC can be better. 

And yes -- I'm on board with a couple team/roster things:
1. EXPERIENCED assistant coaches who can balance their roles well -- not overpower Joe but be influential with players and mentors for Joe.  It's not ideal -- but it's reality... he's 34.
2. Player trades.  Unlike others here who have JB at the top of their list, the top of mine is Smart.  I've loved the guy and been irritated by him alternately throughout the years.  I think his mentality changes throughout games and sometimes he's the guy I want on the court -- other times, he's careless, cocky, fires unlikely threes, thinks he's a 1st/2nd scoring option -- and like others does not push the pace when we need to sustain the energy and finish off a team.  I like the guy but I want a better general.  That general might be DWhite - I'm not sure.    Anyway, I think dynamics shift with a Smart trade. 

Re: JB I'd be interested in what the could get for him -- but I'm not on-board without a really strong return.  I do agree with others that the roster could be better balanced, but I see JB as a tremendously talented player who is one improvable flaw away from being a top 10 player in the league.   He works butt off every off-season and I believe in the guy.  No knee-jerk trade for JB IMO (I realize that becomes moot if he signs super max, which I'm guessing will happen).

We get Gallinari which is basically a pickup for next year.   I'd push for a big given Al's age, Rob's frailty, and the likelihood Grant is gone for too much $$.   Trade assets are there if Brad dares:  Smart, Malcolm, Galo, Pritchard, Sam, Rob, Grant (S&T if that's possible).   I'd hate to trade White, but again depends on return.

Most balanced and closest to reality post in the last week. TP sir

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2023, 07:08:48 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
I fully expected this, but I think it's a mistake to bring Joe back. But before I explain that opinion, I want to first say that, in a way, I feel bad for Joe, because he was placed in a very difficult position thanks to Ime's ill-fated decision. And it wasn't Joe's fault that a couple assistants left for other teams, or that Brad failed to give him any additional assistants to replace the departures.

That said, I still think it's a bad idea to extend Joe, primarily because, as others have said, he had zero previous NBA head-coaching experience, and he had no coaching experience that was even close to being NBA-level (D2 was his highest, I believe). Also, even though Boston is still a relatively young team, it's not a team of first-, second-, or even third-year guys who are fairly new to the NBA; it's a team of young veterans who have been through several Eastern Conference Finals and one NBA Finals, so to give them a greenhorn coach who has a LOT to learn and faces a steep learning curve will, IMO, set this team back a couple years as they wait for Joe to catch up. And that's if he even has NBA head-coaching chops and does eventually catch up.

Then again, it seems like Wyc and Brad, and quite a few fans as well, don't even expect the Celtics to win a title for at least another couple of years, so I guess they're not in a hurry for Joe to catch up. But in my view, that's just wasting a couple of years of Tatum and Brown's youth. So the Cs will probably be in the ECF again next season, just because of their talent level, but that might (once again) be as far as they go.

I believe that Brad and Joe and everyone else involved wants to win titles, but I also get the impression from them that they're like, "Yeah, we want titles, but what we care most about is putting a good product on the floor and creating a pleasant atmosphere for our players and fans ... and if we happen to win any titles, that's great too."

And my response to that is: All of that stuff is well and good ... as far as it goes. I want the players and the fans to have a pleasant experience, and I obviously prefer having good teams to cheer for as opposed to bad teams, but what I want most, as a fan, is titles. Banners. To officially move back ahead of the hated Lakers in the title race (although I already consider the Celtics to be ahead of the Lakers in title count, but that's another kettle of fish).

TL;DR: Sooo ... maybe by 2028 the Jays and Joe will have the maturity and experience to finally bring home a title?

More really good well articulated stuff. Thank you TP

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2023, 07:13:05 PM »

• Satch Sanders

This is quite a take. The last 20 years of Celtic basketball have been, all told, fantastic.

If we take 2008 as year zero, 75% of the league have not won a championship since our last ring - and that's before we get to James & Curry winning more than half the available rings in that span (until the close of Miami Nuggets, when they will have won exactly half). It's been slim pickings for anyone who isn't a frontrunner, but that's what two game-warping talents will do to the rest of the league.

3 Finals appearances in 15 years, after a total rebuild, is pretty great. It's a bit sad that people think it isn't.

Yeah it's possible - I assume they bring in Silas (and possibly Vogel if he doesn't go to Phoenix) and try to rebuild what they had going at the start of the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Celtics put together another 55+ win season, though.

Nor would I. But I doubt it ends in a title; I think it will be comparable to what just happened—ECF loss, because of Joe's lack of experience and the continued bad habits of the team (blown leads, too many threes, bad in crunch time). I mean, they've been this way for several seasons now, so I don't expect it to change.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2023, 07:17:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Wow, when does Tatum demand a trade?

yeah if i am him i am outta here. dont want a clown coaching me. he might be fine with it. no accountability or responsibility. just jack step back threes in iso. mazz wants all threes. no balance. shot way more than brad did. stats were posted. more than  ime. that #2 d ranking is fools gold. we saw that in the playoffs. it was exposed. mazz is all offense. middle school offense at that.

Umm you guys do realize Mazzulla IS Tatum's guy, right?  :P

It's been well-documented. Probably also a reason they were okay in giving Mazzulla the job after Ime's incident.
Besides Tatum saying Ime was his favourite coach, then yeah.

Both things can be and are true
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2023, 07:19:30 PM »

• Satch Sanders

What you're saying, without saying it, is that what any team (including Boston) really needs, in order to win more than just one random title like the '03 Pistons or the '11 Mavericks, is a generational talent—Curry, LeBron, etc. Tatum is very good, but I don't think Tatum is a generational talent, so I don't think the Cs are going to have any sort of dynasty or even mini-dynasty with Tatum as their best player.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2023, 07:38:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Let Tatum have his coach and watch them lose again next year.  I won't be watching.
That is the question, isn't it?

I will probably watch some but less. No interest in watching this Mazzula team any further. This playoff run was THAT bad. We need fresh blood on the sidelines. I hope Mazzula gets fired midseason and we get to see this group with a real coach heading into the playoffs. That is my hope right now.

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2023, 07:46:44 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
Mazzulla ball as currently constructed will never win anything. If this team is playing so so defense with no identity except launching a million threes I will check out as fan. This offense needs a complete overhaul with guys that can actually play make. I have little confidence Mazzulla can do that. He coached two seasons in d2 and is somehow coaching a contender. This is Stevens sticking his neck out for his guy. Both guys will be out the door when it blows up.