Author Topic: Celtics Off-Season News  (Read 157082 times)

Re: Celtics Off-Season News
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2023, 10:40:45 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
It makes no sense to trade JB just to trade JB. But the organization needs to stop looking at this team as a dual-star (or big 3) team, and start looking at it like it’s Tatum’s team.

FO needs to build a team to maximize Tatum’s talents. Honestly, I think Smart fits in that (as a switchable defender willing to get dirty) and I also think Tatum does best with a Horford-like big man (strong screens, scores anywhere, ball doesn’t stick in his hands). If we could swap Horford and Brown’s ages, I would lol but Horford showed his age deep in the postseason.

Idk where management will find a young Horford but I think KAT could be available (Altho I do hate KAT’s defense). His value is low too so getting him plus a role player or a pick for a JB rental doesn’t sound crazy.
You can help Horford and keep him effective longer by managing his minutes. Joe kind of threw that out the window.
Also the answer to improving this team is NOT a big like KAT. It's better PG play and improving the team defense.

Horford can still guard any big in the league man to man as he proved yet again vs Embid. Keep him around and remind the coach of his age.

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2023, 12:24:11 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
Thing is, most of these top condenders in the east (Celtics, bucks, sixers) are really limited on what they can do to improve. I think fans overrated how much you can change and want to blow everything up anytime there's an underachievement.

It's why most are just trading coaches around hoping what failed for one team will work for another and vice versa. It's the easiest thing to do. Throw it against the wall and hope it works.

Sixers are likely losing Harden to Houston and are limited in what they can do with Embiid/maxey as their top 2 options possibly next year. So they are hoping a coaching change can get them out of the second round.

Milwaukee is just getting old and Middletown/holiday no longer are the players they once were. Much like sixers not much they can do roster wise. So hoping a new coach will give them a jolt of energy.

This is probably it for Miami although who knows. They ran a worse version of their team back and are in the finals likely to lose...

Celtics probably are in the best position since you can still decide what you want to do with brogdon/grant/Pritchard if you think moving one or two of them will bring some sort of improvement. And if they are sticking with Joe, fill out his coaching staff with at least one ex NBA coach and a lot of experience.

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2023, 01:16:42 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
And the Celtics don't have the kind of future draft debts that other contenders do going forward.
#JKJB

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2023, 01:22:05 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
It makes no sense to trade JB just to trade JB. But the organization needs to stop looking at this team as a dual-star (or big 3) team, and start looking at it like it’s Tatum’s team.

FO needs to build a team to maximize Tatum’s talents. Honestly, I think Smart fits in that (as a switchable defender willing to get dirty) and I also think Tatum does best with a Horford-like big man (strong screens, scores anywhere, ball doesn’t stick in his hands). If we could swap Horford and Brown’s ages, I would lol but Horford showed his age deep in the postseason.

Idk where management will find a young Horford but I think KAT could be available (Altho I do hate KAT’s defense). His value is low too so getting him plus a role player or a pick for a JB rental doesn’t sound crazy.
You can help Horford and keep him effective longer by managing his minutes. Joe kind of threw that out the window.
Also the answer to improving this team is NOT a big like KAT. It's better PG play and improving the team defense.

Horford can still guard any big in the league man to man as he proved yet again vs Embid. Keep him around and remind the coach of his age.

Not many players you can swap JB for and get equal talent back. Lillard, but he’s going to be 33 in a few months. So you’d have like a 2 year window.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2023, 04:12:20 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Ainge delivered a passionate defense of Mazzulla’s performance this season and gave his two cents on what ails the team after a tough bout of shooting luck in the East Finals. “I work for another company now, but I’m trying to defend my friends,” said Ainge. “I know Joe [Mazzulla]. I hired Joe four or five years ago to work in our G League. I still cheer for my friends. “I don’t think the team quit on Joe. There was pretty good evidence they did not quit on the coach. I just think they weren’t playing well. The team’s overall confidence struggled after the comeback wins against Philly, which was really the highlight of the season.”  – via Brian Robb @ Booth Newspapers

Ainge credited the Heat’s role players for delivering huge performances against Boston but cited the player’s inconsistencies rather than Mazzulla’s miscues as the main driver for the disappointing exit. He also took a shot at former Celtics coach Ime Udoka while praising Mazzulla. “This team found joy,” Ainge said. “They were inconsistent, but they were rooting for each other. They were all defending Joe in the media. You see Joe’s toughness and stubbornness. He’s a relentless worker. He has a passion to learn. Joe is a leader, and I think this was a difficult situation with the high expectations the team had coming in. I don’t think there’s anybody there that doesn’t believe that Joe is better than Ime [Udoka] as a coach.”  – via Brian Robb @ Booth Newspapers

At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2023, 04:41:14 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2524
Ainge delivered a passionate defense of Mazzulla’s performance this season and gave his two cents on what ails the team after a tough bout of shooting luck in the East Finals. “I work for another company now, but I’m trying to defend my friends,” said Ainge. “I know Joe [Mazzulla]. I hired Joe four or five years ago to work in our G League. I still cheer for my friends. “I don’t think the team quit on Joe. There was pretty good evidence they did not quit on the coach. I just think they weren’t playing well. The team’s overall confidence struggled after the comeback wins against Philly, which was really the highlight of the season.”  – via Brian Robb @ Booth Newspapers

Ainge credited the Heat’s role players for delivering huge performances against Boston but cited the player’s inconsistencies rather than Mazzulla’s miscues as the main driver for the disappointing exit. He also took a shot at former Celtics coach Ime Udoka while praising Mazzulla. “This team found joy,” Ainge said. “They were inconsistent, but they were rooting for each other. They were all defending Joe in the media. You see Joe’s toughness and stubbornness. He’s a relentless worker. He has a passion to learn. Joe is a leader, and I think this was a difficult situation with the high expectations the team had coming in. I don’t think there’s anybody there that doesn’t believe that Joe is better than Ime [Udoka] as a coach.”  – via Brian Robb @ Booth Newspapers

Given Brad’s decision to keep Joe, I love Danny’s assessment of Joe - especially the completely unnecessary comment that everyone believes Joe is better than Ime.  That’s a surprising comment - could have easily just said he likes Joe.

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2023, 04:48:19 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

Given Brad’s decision to keep Joe, I love Danny’s assessment of Joe - especially the completely unnecessary comment that everyone believes Joe is better than Ime.  That’s a surprising comment - could have easily just said he likes Joe.

Even though I love Ainge, he’s comments here are meaningless.

He is just showing support for Brad Stevens & Grousbeck, and him elevating Mazzulla over Udoka reeks of bias, as he was close with Kathleen Lynch & her husband (both Mormons).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 04:54:39 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2023, 04:53:07 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Yeahhhh no Danny, stick with your Utah role. You almost traded those Brooklyn picks for Justise Winslow at one point.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2023, 05:25:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Yeahhhh no Danny, stick with your Utah role. You almost traded those Brooklyn picks for Justise Winslow at one point.

Wow..haven’t heard of him in a good while …one of the Heat hopefuls

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2023, 05:45:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don’t think there’s anybody there that doesn’t believe that Joe is better than Ime [Udoka] as a coach.”  – via Brian Robb @ Booth Newspapers
That is an interesting comment.

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2023, 05:47:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
That dig at Ime seemed oddly personal, and also nonsensical.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2023, 06:46:05 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Yeah, I was surprised to read that last bit as well.

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2023, 06:50:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Breaking: GM believes coach he hired to be better than coach he did not hire. More at 6
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2023, 07:02:03 PM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Well he did try to get Joe as well after landing Will Hardy.

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2023, 08:02:25 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!

Also basically handed the Lakers a great roster post-deadline and helped them get rid of Westbrook.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller