Author Topic: Celtics Off-Season News  (Read 156837 times)

Re: Celtics Off-Season News
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2023, 07:33:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Regardless what happens with G-Will, this team definitely needs another big man.

If they are banking on injury-prone Timelord and 37-year old Horford to play heavy minutes and almost every game next season, good luck.

Muscala/Griffin can be kept as 4th/5th bigs, but Kornet is useless and they need another real body in the mix

I fully expected Stevens to keep Mazzulla and Brown, add a vet assistant coach, and run it back. It makes the most sense.

I think Muscala will get a lot more minutes next season after having a full training camp with this team. Gallinari will help as well. If we don't keep Grant, then I see us moving Prtichard in a deal for another big man.

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2023, 07:37:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Regardless what happens with G-Will, this team definitely needs another big man.

If they are banking on injury-prone Timelord and 37-year old Horford to play heavy minutes and almost every game next season, good luck.

Muscala/Griffin can be kept as 4th/5th bigs, but Kornet is useless and they need another real body in the mix

How can you forget about Gallo!  ;D

Lol right I completely forgot about him. I still would feel more comfortable with another center though. And no, that's not Kornet
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2023, 07:40:21 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I fully expected Stevens to keep Mazzulla and Brown, add a vet assistant coach, and run it back. It makes the most sense.

I think Muscala will get a lot more minutes next season after having a full training camp with this team. Gallinari will help as well. If we don't keep Grant, then I see us moving Prtichard in a deal for another big man.

I see Gallo and Muscala as the same player only Gallo is a better version of it. A stretch big man. Only Gallo has some ball-handling, passing and the dribble drive threat. So more useful.

I see them as competing for the same role / minutes. So one will do well and one won't play much. Rather than both flourishing here.

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2023, 07:52:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I see Gallo and Muscala as the same player only Gallo is a better version of it. A stretch big man. Only Gallo has some ball-handling, passing and the dribble drive threat. So more useful.

I see them as competing for the same role / minutes. So one will do well and one won't play much. Rather than both flourishing here.

That would be the normal view of Muscala and Gallo. Joe will probably see them as two guys who can play together as a dual big lineup  ;D

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2023, 07:54:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That would be the normal view of Muscala and Gallo. Joe will probably see them as two guys who can play together as a dual big lineup  ;D

... next to three small guards.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2023, 07:56:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Exactly!

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2023, 08:30:33 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

Exactly!

Nah, that was DA’s thing. Kemba, Waters, Edwards, Pritchard. Payton is the only one left and he’s likely gone this summer. Brad is all about having players that can switch on defense.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 09:02:43 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2023, 11:27:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Don’t get me wrong. 295M is A LOT and Jaylen still has flaws (particularly with his dribbling).

But when I see guys like Poole making 130M, and Reaves apparently set to make 100M+, it does kind of put things in some perspective. There’s just a ton of vastly overpaid guys. That’s the market

Moving on from Jaylen is fine IF you’re getting a blue chip talent in return. Just trading him for the sake of trading him though would be very dumb (like just some role players + picks, dumb)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2023, 06:18:31 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
A lot of people upset and I get it. we suffered an embarrassing and emotional game 7 loss...BUT brads comments and plan is the most realistic forward. This idea of blowing it all up and starting fresh when you are right on the doorstep never made sense. Its just an emotional reaction.

You have a team that basically is a lock for the conference finals if healthy. ANY trade getting rid of Jaylen clearly makes you worse and there's no guarantee you even make the conference finals. When Tatum struggled against Philly, brown was the one keeping us in those games.

What brad and the coaching staff need to figure out is what our weaknesses were. And how we can get these guys to play as a team on offense.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 06:25:59 AM by cman88 »

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2023, 07:28:04 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
A lot of people upset and I get it. we suffered an embarrassing and emotional game 7 loss...BUT brads comments and plan is the most realistic forward. This idea of blowing it all up and starting fresh when you are right on the doorstep never made sense. Its just an emotional reaction.

You have a team that basically is a lock for the conference finals if healthy. ANY trade getting rid of Jaylen clearly makes you worse and there's no guarantee you even make the conference finals. When Tatum struggled against Philly, brown was the one keeping us in those games.

What brad and the coaching staff need to figure out is what our weaknesses were. And how we can get these guys to play as a team on offense.

Teams that are good but cant get over the hump fire coaches and move players. Sometimes a core needs a shake up after it's shown it cannot seal the deal. I'd rather this FO take a shot and lose than stay the course and lose.

To sit there and say those of us who ask for some changes are just being emotional is insulting. The attitude of many here is rooted in the fact this team shows it can flirt with a title only to fall short time and time again.

Ever hear the saying in reference to good looking woman  "Just remember, somewhere there’s some guy who’s tired of putting up with her crap.”

Celtics are that 10 you left because you couldn't handle the crazy. Something needs to change. I've no interest in watching the nba's version of Jim Kelly's bills.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2023, 07:40:28 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Teams that are good but cant get over the hump fire coaches and move players. Sometimes a core needs a shake up after it's shown it cannot seal the deal. I'd rather this FO take a shot and lose than stay the course and lose.

To sit there and say those of us who ask for some changes are just being emotional is insulting. The attitude of many here is rooted in the fact this team shows it can flirt with a title only to fall short time and time again.

Ever hear the saying in reference to good looking woman  "Just remember, somewhere there’s some guy who’s tired of putting up with her crap.”

Celtics are that 10 you left because you couldn't handle the crazy. Something needs to change. I've no interest in watching the nba's version of Jim Kelly's bills.

That's a great thought, but what needs to change?  Over the past few years, we needed shooting, OK, in comes White.  That wasn't enough, so in comes Brogdon and Danilo.  Then the curse of Red kicks in and injuries begin to mount including Danilo for the year.  We've changed coaches, probably for the worse, but it happened.  We've changed GM's.  What next?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2023, 07:44:09 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365

I agree with firing mazzulla. I think this team needs an experienced disciplined coach. So I am with you there.

But, I'm sorry. when you read some of the god awful trades that people put forward here to trade Jaylen away that would actually make the team worse it's an emotional reaction not based on reality of the situation. I mean I've seen people throw Ben simmons name around...

If Boston trades Jaylen. For a bunch of guys and they underperform and Boston never reaches the conference finals again while Jaylen goes to another team and takes another step. Can you imagine this board? Everyone would forget they called for Brown to be traded...we would hear about trading low and how it was too soon...

Also need to look realistically at brads options. Trade Brown for low return (on an expiring contract) or logically sign him to his deal. And you STILL can trade him if it proves out this core isn't going to work. But he will be locked into a long-term deal and you can get a MUCH bigger haul. Also have to keep in mind Tatum wants Brown here. You trade Brown away and it fails, Tatum may demand out....jettisoning him because he had a poor series against Miami is definitely an overreaction. There's no other way to put it.

But hey. Miami ran it back and made the finals. So maybe you don't need to  "shake it up" everytime a team underperforms

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2023, 08:47:38 AM »

Online RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

I agree with firing mazzulla. I think this team needs an experienced disciplined coach. So I am with you there.

But, I'm sorry. when you read some of the god awful trades that people put forward here to trade Jaylen away that would actually make the team worse it's an emotional reaction not based on reality of the situation. I mean I've seen people throw Ben simmons name around...

If Boston trades Jaylen. For a bunch of guys and they underperform and Boston never reaches the conference finals again while Jaylen goes to another team and takes another step. Can you imagine this board? Everyone would forget they called for Brown to be traded...we would hear about trading low and how it was too soon...

Also need to look realistically at brads options. Trade Brown for low return (on an expiring contract) or logically sign him to his deal. And you STILL can trade him if it proves out this core isn't going to work. But he will be locked into a long-term deal and you can get a MUCH bigger haul. Also have to keep in mind Tatum wants Brown here. You trade Brown away and it fails, Tatum may demand out....jettisoning him because he had a poor series against Miami is definitely an overreaction. There's no other way to put it.

But hey. Miami ran it back and made the finals. So maybe you don't need to  "shake it up" everytime a team underperforms

Can you though (this is an honest question as I really don't know the ins and outs of the salary cap)?  I keep reading about all the luxury tax penalties in the new CBA.  One I thought I saw is not being able to aggregate salaries in a trade.  Does that mean that Jaylen would need to be traded for someone making what he makes?

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2023, 09:05:27 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Can you though (this is an honest question as I really don't know the ins and outs of the salary cap)?  I keep reading about all the luxury tax penalties in the new CBA.  One I thought I saw is not being able to aggregate salaries in a trade.  Does that mean that Jaylen would need to be traded for someone making what he makes?
When it comes to trade restrictions, the new CBA is very punitive for teams that are $17.5m over the luxury tax line, like the Celtics/Warriors/Bucks. Those teams won't be able to aggregate salaries to trade for a single player.

But this only applies to teams over the cap.

Under these rules, for a very simple example, if we wanted to trade Jaylen to the Rockets (or another team with cap space), they would be able to send us a collection of players and picks. But we can't trade two or more players to get Kevin Porter Jr. from the Rockets because we are over the cap.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2023, 09:34:41 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
It makes no sense to trade JB just to trade JB. But the organization needs to stop looking at this team as a dual-star (or big 3) team, and start looking at it like it’s Tatum’s team.

FO needs to build a team to maximize Tatum’s talents. Honestly, I think Smart fits in that (as a switchable defender willing to get dirty) and I also think Tatum does best with a Horford-like big man (strong screens, scores anywhere, ball doesn’t stick in his hands). If we could swap Horford and Brown’s ages, I would lol but Horford showed his age deep in the postseason.

Idk where management will find a young Horford but I think KAT could be available (Altho I do hate KAT’s defense). His value is low too so getting him plus a role player or a pick for a JB rental doesn’t sound crazy.
- LilRip