Author Topic: I failed. We failed. We let the whole city down.  (Read 4209 times)

Re: I failed. We failed. We let the whole city down.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2023, 07:53:09 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I want to keep him.  I worry about the $60 million salary, but he's among the best #2s in the NBA.
The other thing to keep in mind is that the new CBA isn't just going to affect the Celtics - it's going to hit every team in the league. It'll be harder for everyone to spend their way into contention. If we assume that our floor with the Jays is, what, a second round exit? That's a hell of a floor for two star wings who aren't even 27 yet.
I assume this is one of the main goals of the new CBA. This means some enticing trade offers could appear in the off-season. Brad needs to continue to be patient, maintain the team that was one of the top-4 last season and see what pops up.

HOWEVER, no need for patience regarding the HC. Joe is too young/inexperienced and it showed. Plus, his entire staff is being poached by Udoka. Start from scratch with a championship-level HC.
Agreed with you, but I think it's fairly clear they're going to roll with Mazzulla for the next season* - or at least half a season - and give him a chance to pick his assistants/build out the staff with 'his guys', since the 'entire staff' are Udoka holdovers (hence the departure). Silas and Vogel have been mentioned already as possible assistants, but those are the biggest names I've seen.

*If only because Wyc & company won't want to eat the contract "for nothing".
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2023, 10:00:24 AM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
Martin came out and said the plan was to make him go left.......we have the nba version of freaking zoolander

This guy is not supermax money worthy. I just used brown as an example to my son on why learning to handle the ball with your left hand is vital.

26 years old and he's not improved his game to something any star player should be able.to do. I'm flabbergasted a player who made all nba has such a obvious weakness to exploit.

Sorry, talk is cheap. Paying him a max will kill this team in 2 years. He doesn't have the ability to improve in this area.  If he did, it wouldn't take this long.

That said I expect Brad to make the worst possible decision regarding him, because why not.
I mean, this is not a secret in the NBA - you always want to make the guy go to his less-comfortable hand. That's why everyone always tries to force Harden to go right.

Agree it's annoying to hear Martin describe it like this, but safe to assume that this is not the full depth of Miami's gameplan for Brown.

There's difference from having a weakness going to your left and having an inability to go to your left. Every player has a strong side, but no all nba player who is not a big should have such a glaring weakness.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2023, 10:15:48 AM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Well JB, you spent 7 seasons with the Celtics and you still haven't worked on your handles and that has been affecting your game and causing us to lose important games. I think it may be time to trade you for Damian Lillard.
I love Lillard, but he is too old. I want to follow this team for years to come.
Steph Curry is doing alright for a 35 year-old PG with similar skills to Dame. Lillard is only 32, and is not slowing down at all. I’d do the trade, especially the one that Moranis posted in another thread

isnt 32 the age we got KG? it would give us a 4 year window for sure of top play with lillard. is he injury prone?? i still say get trae and trade smart as well. very young to go with JT who can punish you a myriad of ways.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2023, 10:44:41 AM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Well JB, you spent 7 seasons with the Celtics and you still haven't worked on your handles and that has been affecting your game and causing us to lose important games. I think it may be time to trade you for Damian Lillard.
I love Lillard, but he is too old. I want to follow this team for years to come.
Steph Curry is doing alright for a 35 year-old PG with similar skills to Dame. Lillard is only 32, and is not slowing down at all. I’d do the trade, especially the one that Moranis posted in another thread

isnt 32 the age we got KG? it would give us a 4 year window for sure of top play with lillard. is he injury prone?? i still say get trae IF we cannot get lillard, and trade smart as well. very young to go with JT who can punish you a myriad of ways.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2023, 10:50:05 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
So now JB doesn't work on his handles in the offseason, hasn't improved in 7 years and can't go left at all? Ridiculous. We're just gonna make stuff up now to fit our narratives of displeasure?

Dribbling is not a strength of his, a little loose and out from his body but there is plenty of evidence of strong work ethic, offseason workouts leading to improvements and yes plenty of videos of him driving to his left for scores.

Go ahead and bemoan his weaknesses but let's stop making things up.

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2023, 11:42:17 AM »

Online Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
How can you bash JB when he says this! Clearly, he wanted to have a better game. JT was hobbled on the first play, JB wanted to step up, but he played terribly. 1 game from the finals!
What do we do as Fans? Tell him, it's okay! You did your best? NO, many of us say, Trade the bum!

That's just Not who I am. For me, I want to give him a hug and say thanks for the incredible Season!!
That's just who I am!  I would like to say I can conquer the world, but in reality, I have fallen short many times. It doesn't matter what you are paid, You do your best.
My father used to tell me when I was a kid. When you go to bed at night and put your head on your pillow, Ask yourself, did I do the best I could today? If the answer is yes, "F" what others think! You gave it your best and No One can ask anymore.

If his best is 8 turnovers and 8-23 from the  field that's fine just don't ask for the super max. If you want to keep paying higher and higher prices to go to a game because they are dishing out 50 million a year to players like JB then great. If he's trying and I'm sure he is then giving him this type of money will hurt the team. I'm in the camp of trade him because he simply isn't a super max player. He is not a bum he's just not worth the super max.

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2023, 11:45:05 AM »

Online Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
So now JB doesn't work on his handles in the offseason, hasn't improved in 7 years and can't go left at all? Ridiculous. We're just gonna make stuff up now to fit our narratives of displeasure?

Dribbling is not a strength of his, a little loose and out from his body but there is plenty of evidence of strong work ethic, offseason workouts leading to improvements and yes plenty of videos of him driving to his left for scores.

Go ahead and bemoan his weaknesses but let's stop making things up.

He still has the same weaknesses he's had. Ball Handling which leads him to be a turnover machine. Free throw shooting and overall consistency. Good player and I want him on the Celtics but again not at super max. If it's either super max or trade then I say trade. You can pay someone a lot less for 8 turnovers and abysmal 3 point shooting.

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2023, 05:04:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Steph's range is the difference here, but seriously you think he is going to maintain that?   No man beats father time........
Steph's range is actually inferior to Lillard. Lillard shot 35% from deep (30+ feet) threes, Curry shot 24%.

I think Lillard will be an All-NBA calibre guard until 2025, and an All-Star calibre guard for another couple of years after that.

Nobody is saying anyone will "beat father time". But 32 is not that old anymore.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2023, 11:49:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
How can you bash JB when he says this! Clearly, he wanted to have a better game. JT was hobbled on the first play, JB wanted to step up, but he played terribly. 1 game from the finals!
What do we do as Fans? Tell him, it's okay! You did your best? NO, many of us say, Trade the bum!

That's just Not who I am. For me, I want to give him a hug and say thanks for the incredible Season!!
That's just who I am!  I would like to say I can conquer the world, but in reality, I have fallen short many times. It doesn't matter what you are paid, You do your best.
My father used to tell me when I was a kid. When you go to bed at night and put your head on your pillow, Ask yourself, did I do the best I could today? If the answer is yes, "F" what others think! You gave it your best and No One can ask anymore.

So this is a post below from another thread - anyone else still not over it

It's hard to "get over it" when you know the team didn't put its best foot forward all playoffs. If they had lost to a clearly better team while giving their best effort, it would have been easy to tip your cap and move on.

Yes. This is how I feel too.

I did not think this team gave it their best effort. I do not think they lost to a superior team. I do not think they were simply outplayed. That they gave it there best and were just beat.

If they were, I'd be fine with it. Similar to losing to GSW last year. Fair enough. Good season. Moving on. Get better and make a run next year.

So we did that. We got better. We got Brogdon. D White improved enormously over last season with his improved jump-shot. Things were good. Make our playoff run.

And this is what we get?

That was not our best effort. That was not our best effort against ATL. That was not our best effort against PHI. That was not our best effort against MIA.

That was going through the motions.

That leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I am not happy about how this team played this year. I am not proud of what they have done.

I was last season. I thought they did great to right the ship after a bad start to the year. They came into the playoffs. They made a mess here and there but they always played hard. Not always smart. But always played hard. Then they made the Finals. They played a strong team in GSW. GSW played better. We gave it our best and it wasn't good enough. Fair enough. I was happy with that team. I was proud with that season. A bit disappointed sure but happy & proud.

I am not happy and proud about this season. They played great to start the year then tailed off as the season went along, bungled their way through the playoffs throwing away games due to a lack of care and focus. And got beat by a wholly inferior and unimpressive MIA team.