Author Topic: ‘End this right now’: Kendrick Perkins wants Celtics star Jaylen Brown out  (Read 6458 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sure. Who are they going to get for him? You need an impact player in return and I do not see anyone out there offering up what they might need back.

Straight up for Klay Thompson.  Thompson led the league in 3PAs, and Joe thinks that's the most important stat in the NBA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Sure. Who are they going to get for him? You need an impact player in return and I do not see anyone out there offering up what they might need back.

Straight up for Klay Thompson.  Thompson led the league in 3PAs, and Joe thinks that's the most important stat in the NBA.

in my best family feud voice

" GOOD ANSWER, GOOD ANSWER as I FURIOUSLY CLAP"

LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Dame led in 3PA per game ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
It really boils down to can this team win with the Jay's and less talent it has now? CBA isn't going to allow for us to have he same team we have now with 2 super max contracts. Unless Brown takes a massive leap, I don't think that can happen, nor do I think it will happen.

I was a no on KD last year, turns out that deal might have brought a title. They might have had enough to overcome the terrible coaching. Now we might have a shot at Dame. I was against that as well, but now that I'm warming up to the idea. Silver wants a league full of parity which means it's all about winning now.

Either way it's a tough decision, and there's no easy answer. However, JB made it easier than it would have been had he balled out on Mon.

This is something I was wondering about / worrying about a few weeks ago. Essentially, was this Boston team the best supporting cast we can expect to be able to put alongside Jaylen & Tatum?

I thought it was. So did others. Still feel that way.

This may have been our best shot at a title. Wasted away. Next year might be the next best. Yet we are doubling down on a dodgy head coach in Mazzula. Atrocious decision. Likely another wasted season. Then the team starts getting old, the money starts becoming more of an issue. Decline is possible even likely to happen. Not good.

Online Who

• James Naismith
It really boils down to can this team win with the Jay's and less talent it has now? CBA isn't going to allow for us to have he same team we have now with 2 super max contracts. Unless Brown takes a massive leap, I don't think that can happen, nor do I think it will happen.

I was a no on KD last year, turns out that deal might have brought a title. They might have had enough to overcome the terrible coaching. Now we might have a shot at Dame. I was against that as well, but now that I'm warming up to the idea. Silver wants a league full of parity which means it's all about winning now.

Either way it's a tough decision, and there's no easy answer. However, JB made it easier than it would have been had he balled out on Mon.

I will say this again: There is a zero percent chance Jaylen Brown is being traded for Damian lillard.

Guys, again, Brown is an expiring contract. The blazers stink. They trade Lillard for Brown they will stink next year, which means Brown isn't re-signing there. they are not trading Lillard for a 1 year rental of Jaylen Brown. Just from that perspective alone it is not happening.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Jaylen might want the opportunity to be the #1 guy on a team more than he wants to play on a title contender. No title contender can offer / will offer him the chance to be the #1 guy. He isn't good enough. The only teams that will are average to bad teams. Portland would be a bad team.

We don't know that Jaylen's priority is titles. It might be. It might not be. His priority may be being the #1 option. Personally, I think that is an inner-debate for him. He leans towards titles and staying in Boston but will he still lean towards titles if starting over somewhere else? Or will he instead chose more individual goals to test just how good of an individual player he can become. Can he be a top 10 NBA player? Can he be an MVP player if he had his own team?

And as an aside ...

I am not sure Jaylen would even be the #1 option in Portland. They might bring in him to be the #1 but I am not sure that would be how it would play out. Jaylen may indeed be the best overall player but Anfernee Simons is a better offensive player. His ball-handling, passing and superior outside shooting make him the superior overall offensive threat.

Online Who

• James Naismith
I loved his contributions here, but Perk is one of the least insightful analysts out there.  I prefer hearing him talk about chicken wings.
...or at least he should stick with something he knows: frontcourt players. Perk knows nothing about guard play.

Perk did his job. He got people talking. Look all the discussion here on this forum. How many other ESPN analysts generated this level of discussion yesterday & today?

Perk's job is not to provide quality analysis. It is to get people talking. To get them engaged. Keep them engaged. Perk is one of the more talked about analysts on ESPN. He is regularly talked about on forums across the league. He is succeeding.

It's like these call-in sports shows on the radio. The goal isn't in depth sports analysis. The goal is to get people to call in. If they say smart analysis and people do not call in, they have failed. If they say outrageous things and rile up the listeners and get lots of calls, they have succeeded. ESPN operates similarly. Perk operates this way. And he is being successful; this thread is proof of that.
Ideally, though, would you agree that the takeaway should be "maybe there should be more support for smarter analysis" rather than chasing the Baylessian Outrage Dragon?

I see it like the magazines that do these celebrity shenangins or nude shots. Whatever embarrassing thing that is going on. Most people will respond in polls that these magazines should not do this & that they are not interested in this. Yet, magazine sales go through the roof when they run these stories / photos.

Likewise, most people will see most of ESPN's coverage / analysis as crap (because it is) yet it draws eye-balls and discussion. And this makes them more money. ESPN could provide a better product with better analysis but it would make less money. They choose money.

Meaning: The product they are selling is not quality analysis. The product they are selling is fan engagement. And saying outrageous / ridiculous / controversial things is what drives the large majority of that engagement so that is what they provide. That is what they sell. Just like radio sports talk shows. 

So for those that are looking for quality analysis, we should look elsewhere than ESPN. Quality youtube channels. Good blogs and fan sites. Forums like this one here. That is where you will superior bball analysis.