Author Topic: I know I'm not in the CELTICS TALK Clique But...  (Read 4026 times)

Re: I know I'm not in the CELTICS TALK Clique But...
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2023, 01:43:21 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Welcome to the forum! Have a TP  :police:

This right here is why I'm not devastated about their Game 7 loss. Disappointed sure, but not devastated. Like you I've seen many disappointing seasons and many great seasons that I enjoyed, even if they didn't win a ring. To me part of the fun of watching (and participating in) sports is the journey, not just the destination. It's been fun watching them navigate through challenges and adversity and see how they respond and react. It's also been disappointing and frustrating, but that's what a journey is - sometimes it's fun, sometimes it isn't. And sometimes people want to advocate change, or just express their frustration. I find that ok too, for many people that's their outlet. They get things off their chest and then they feel better.

I have a good friend who is from England and he is from a town called Wolverhampton, which is a town in the West Midlands, just northwest of Birmingham. His team, Wolverhampton Wanderers, last won the flag in the English First Division soccer league (before it was called the Premier League) in 1959. In the past 20 years or so they have been in and out of the Premier League, relegated some years, promoted in others. They've never gotten close to winning the Premier League in those years, the best they did was 7th during the pandemic seasons in 2018 to 2020. Usually they're around 15th or so, struggling to avoid relegation. They can't compete with the giants like Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United, with all the money that those clubs have. But they have packed stadiums every time they play, with people who have cheered for the team since birth and probably will till they die.

How does he, and all these folks cheering for these lesser teams in European soccer, gain the motivation to cheer for a team that, unless it is bought out by some rich Arabs or Americans, will always be destined to be cannon fodder for the bigger teams when they come to town? Because it's a tribal thing, and because he enjoys the experience of cheering for his team win or lose, the excitement of avoiding relegation, the excitement of getting promoted after being relegated, the excitement of seeing if they can somehow steal a win against Manchester United. How many of us would be able to do that, cheer for a team that has zero chance of winning a premiership ever? If all you care about is the destination, the end result, then you miss out on the journey.

Also right now is a tough time on the forum because fans are, well, fanatics and they get frustrated when the team isn't doing well. Everyone has an opinion and the right to express it. I would hate to think that the forum is somehow less inclusive because of that. Not everyone will always agree with you but it shouldn't stop you from posting your opinion. I've learned to not really argue with people on the forum, I just share my opinion, read their opinions and responses, and hope that maybe I made them think a little bit. And never take anything on a forum personally  :police:

Hope we hear more from you!  :laugh:

For me it has a lot to do with expectations. I actually have an easier time following a team that's lousy and has very little chance of going anywhere than I do following a team that has legitimate championship hopes. Those teams led by IT weren't expected to do a whole lot, so it was amazing how well they did, and how well he did—“The Little Guy!” But when the Celtics reach 5 ECF in a 7-year period—yet win only 1 of those 5 times, then actually regressed this postseason compared to last—that's very disappointing.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2023, 05:00:19 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
I have followed the Celts since the 60's - three separate championship groups built by Red Auerbach who played most of their careers in Boston and won multiple titles. A long dry spell was broken by Kevin Garnett's team - a group brought together by Danny Ainge - who deserved much better than the one banner they hung in the rafters in 2008.

What all these teams had in common was consistency and mental toughness and discipline. If they had championship-level talent they usually played at a high level most games. Sure, every team comes out flat a few times every season, but that type of performance was an aberration for these previous title groups.

This current Celtics team is different because they have championship-level talent, but perform more inconsistently than any team of any sport I can remember, pro or college. Some games they decide to tighten up their offensive execution and shot selection and play  beautiful, fluid basketball. Other games, they are a 3-point clanging, turnover reckless disgrace. When the team comes out with that high-energy, play-on-a-string defensive mindset, they can look unbeatable and when they do not, they are flat-footed and have the look of wanting to be anywhere but on a basketball court.

Then, of course, there is Joe "dazed & confused" Mazzulla, who was promoted into an impossible situation and has coached like it most of the season. Blame for that disaster should be shared equally by Joe, Brad and Wyc.

A slightly altered quote from the movie Bull Durham sums up this team perfectly, "Million Dollar Talent and Five Cent Heads."
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2023, 06:04:03 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Welcome to the forum! Have a TP  :police:

This right here is why I'm not devastated about their Game 7 loss. Disappointed sure, but not devastated. Like you I've seen many disappointing seasons and many great seasons that I enjoyed, even if they didn't win a ring. To me part of the fun of watching (and participating in) sports is the journey, not just the destination. It's been fun watching them navigate through challenges and adversity and see how they respond and react. It's also been disappointing and frustrating, but that's what a journey is - sometimes it's fun, sometimes it isn't. And sometimes people want to advocate change, or just express their frustration. I find that ok too, for many people that's their outlet. They get things off their chest and then they feel better.

I have a good friend who is from England and he is from a town called Wolverhampton, which is a town in the West Midlands, just northwest of Birmingham. His team, Wolverhampton Wanderers, last won the flag in the English First Division soccer league (before it was called the Premier League) in 1959. In the past 20 years or so they have been in and out of the Premier League, relegated some years, promoted in others. They've never gotten close to winning the Premier League in those years, the best they did was 7th during the pandemic seasons in 2018 to 2020. Usually they're around 15th or so, struggling to avoid relegation. They can't compete with the giants like Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United, with all the money that those clubs have. But they have packed stadiums every time they play, with people who have cheered for the team since birth and probably will till they die.

How does he, and all these folks cheering for these lesser teams in European soccer, gain the motivation to cheer for a team that, unless it is bought out by some rich Arabs or Americans, will always be destined to be cannon fodder for the bigger teams when they come to town? Because it's a tribal thing, and because he enjoys the experience of cheering for his team win or lose, the excitement of avoiding relegation, the excitement of getting promoted after being relegated, the excitement of seeing if they can somehow steal a win against Manchester United. How many of us would be able to do that, cheer for a team that has zero chance of winning a premiership ever? If all you care about is the destination, the end result, then you miss out on the journey.

Also right now is a tough time on the forum because fans are, well, fanatics and they get frustrated when the team isn't doing well. Everyone has an opinion and the right to express it. I would hate to think that the forum is somehow less inclusive because of that. Not everyone will always agree with you but it shouldn't stop you from posting your opinion. I've learned to not really argue with people on the forum, I just share my opinion, read their opinions and responses, and hope that maybe I made them think a little bit. And never take anything on a forum personally  :police:

Hope we hear more from you!  :laugh:

For me it has a lot to do with expectations. I actually have an easier time following a team that's lousy and has very little chance of going anywhere than I do following a team that has legitimate championship hopes. Those teams led by IT weren't expected to do a whole lot, so it was amazing how well they did, and how well he did—“The Little Guy!” But when the Celtics reach 5 ECF in a 7-year period—yet win only 1 of those 5 times, then actually regressed this postseason compared to last—that's very disappointing.

Two great posts, but I want to chime in here as well - promotion & relegation are a massive reason why people continue to follow their local football teams in the U.K. and elsewhere. Just look at Luton Town. They've just made it to the Premier League for the first time ever without a massive influx of overseas cash. This is their stadium:

They are now competing against the aforementioned Arsenal, who play here:

You simply don't get this in North American sports - it's akin to Greenville Drive winning their way through Triple-A, Double-A, and Class A-Advanced over the course of a few seasons to wind up playing against the Red Sox, instead of being their farm team.

However, RNR4S is right - the expectations are different. No one is expecting Luton Town to win the Premier League - although they might - but the Arsenal supporters I talk to are more than happy to complain about their current underachievement (they're second in the league at the moment).
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.