Author Topic: Tatum needs a mentor  (Read 2001 times)

Tatum needs a mentor
« on: May 30, 2023, 06:47:27 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I know people are in the mood of blowing things up, but I think we have the right players skill wise. We obviously need a better coach, but other than that, I think we need a veteran who can mentor Tatum on mental toughness, a player that doesn't have to play meaningful minutes, but has been there, done that, and knows how to prepare for a game mental wise. I don't know who would that be, maybe someone like Rondo?

Re: Tatum needs a mentor
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 07:29:37 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I know people are in the mood of blowing things up, but I think we have the right players skill wise. We obviously need a better coach, but other than that, I think we need a veteran who can mentor Tatum on mental toughness, a player that doesn't have to play meaningful minutes, but has been there, done that, and knows how to prepare for a game mental wise. I don't know who would that be, maybe someone like Rondo?

I wish we could stop the mental toughness narrative with Jayson. I don't think that's an issue at all. He's frequently a guy willing to play through injury, can get into a funk but dig himself out (game 6 versus Philly was a reminder), and typically rises to the occasion in big moments (the 50 point play-in game, game 6 last year against Milwaukee, game 7 this year against Philly).

I think the word people are looking for is maturity and the fans have to show patience with that. Everyone expects him to have the savvy and steeliness of a 10 or 12 year vet. He's not there yet, obviously. But I think he will get there.

Sometimes we underestimate that most high draft picks usually spend their developmental years doling around on lottery teams with little aspirations - let alone title aspirations - so fans are more willing to let a guy work through the bumps. But because this team has had so much success with him, there's now this tendency of expecting everything all at once. For comparison, look at a guy like De'Aaron Fox - taken in the same draft class but only getting to his first playoff series. Yet, Kings fans aren't questioning his mental toughness. They're just happy they finally broke through.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 08:23:43 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Maybe maturity is the better term, but something is there with Tatum. Fox never had the talent around him like Tatum did, he hasn’t got enough sample size to be questioned yet.

Maybe time will fix everything, I don’t know, it’s so bizarre that Tatum can have a playoff like this but largely went blame free.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 08:26:58 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

PJ Tucker

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 08:41:37 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Maybe maturity is the better term, but something is there with Tatum. Fox never had the talent around him like Tatum did, he hasn’t got enough sample size to be questioned yet.

Maybe time will fix everything, I don’t know, it’s so bizarre that Tatum can have a playoff like this but largely went blame free.

And that's pretty much my point. No one cares because he was drafted to a lottery situation so it doesn't matter that he took so long to get to the playoffs. It's considered an accomplishment that he finally broke through.

When you actually start comparing Tatum to the star players his age, they aren't comparable expectations. The closest may be Donovan Mitchell, a multiple All-Star/All-NBA guy that played on two talented teams and still can't get out of the 2nd round. The guy from that draft class that has more playoff success is Bam and it's not the #1 guy on his team. I'm not even sure if he's the #2 option right now with the way Caleb Martin is playing for them.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 10:08:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Horford has been a great veteran guide for Tatum. I think as others said, people are underestimating what Tatum has already accomplished at his age. He's a very mature, level headed, accomplished player, especially for his age.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 10:16:59 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

I wish we could stop the mental toughness narrative with Jayson. I don't think that's an issue at all. He's frequently a guy willing to play through injury, can get into a funk but dig himself out (game 6 versus Philly was a reminder), and typically rises to the occasion in big moments (the 50 point play-in game, game 6 last year against Milwaukee, game 7 this year against Philly).

I think the word people are looking for is maturity and the fans have to show patience with that. Everyone expects him to have the savvy and steeliness of a 10 or 12 year vet. He's not there yet, obviously. But I think he will get there.

Sometimes we underestimate that most high draft picks usually spend their developmental years doling around on lottery teams with little aspirations - let alone title aspirations - so fans are more willing to let a guy work through the bumps. But because this team has had so much success with him, there's now this tendency of expecting everything all at once. For comparison, look at a guy like De'Aaron Fox - taken in the same draft class but only getting to his first playoff series. Yet, Kings fans aren't questioning his mental toughness. They're just happy they finally broke through.
Spot on! Couldn’t agree with this more. TP

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 11:08:57 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
If we’re looking to have our own Udonis Haslem, someone who can keep the guys focused and accountable, why not a guy like IT? He loves the city, he loves the team, and he’s looking for an opportunity. He’s a fiery guy who can help build this team’s culture. He was a very good leader when he was here. I’m sure JT can learn some good things. If it doesn’t work out then just cut him.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 11:45:18 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
We do have Blake and Horford. Maybe we could have had rondo instead of one of the bums but not
Sure how many people we need like this

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2023, 01:14:39 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I wish Wyc somehow convinces Larry Bird to come to the Celtics even as a consultant. If that doesn’t energize this group then I don’t know what will.

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2023, 07:39:49 AM »

Offline GreenBoomer

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
Bird would be perfect, but I believe Indy just locked him down as a consultant.

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2023, 09:24:35 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
We do have Blake and Horford. Maybe we could have had rondo instead of one of the bums but not
Sure how many people we need like this
I'm not sure either, but for maximum effect the mentors ought to be active roster players.

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2023, 09:44:57 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Would people hate if we got Pat Beverley? Idk, but I wouldn't mind some real edge on this team. He did seem to rejuvenate Chicago later in the season with his defense/hustle/attitude and they got to the play-in when all hope looked lost for a while.

A guy like him or Draymond could do wonders for this team, because right now it feels like this group is content with how things are going and they seem to act like they've won something when they haven't.

I thought Smart and Jaylen could be those guys but evidently they aren't. I think Smart in particular got soft this season, bringing up last year's results while "trash talking" Butler during the ECF, then after the season saying he's proud of the group and not really sounding upset that they missed the Finals.

I lived with it before because our guys were young and still gaining experience, but at this point I'm not sure what else can be done. Are they going to become mentally tough overnight? If we're banking on that, I don't think much will change tbh. We definitely have the talent.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2023, 10:05:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

PJ Tucker

No thanks, Philly can keep him.   Nothing but a ruffian on the court.   We need toughness and he might bring that but he is a dirty player.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2023, 04:20:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Would people hate if we got Pat Beverley? Idk, but I wouldn't mind some real edge on this team. He did seem to rejuvenate Chicago later in the season with his defense/hustle/attitude and they got to the play-in when all hope looked lost for a while.

A guy like him or Draymond could do wonders for this team, because right now it feels like this group is content with how things are going and they seem to act like they've won something when they haven't.

I thought Smart and Jaylen could be those guys but evidently they aren't. I think Smart in particular got soft this season, bringing up last year's results while "trash talking" Butler during the ECF, then after the season saying he's proud of the group and not really sounding upset that they missed the Finals.

I lived with it before because our guys were young and still gaining experience, but at this point I'm not sure what else can be done. Are they going to become mentally tough overnight? If we're banking on that, I don't think much will change tbh. We definitely have the talent.

I love Pat Bev. He'd be a good option if we trade one of our combo guards for a wing or a big.