Author Topic: Devastating Loss?  (Read 4080 times)

Re: Devastating Loss?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2023, 10:42:18 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1441
Least it wasn’t another knee injury…

Boston Celtics center Robert Williams III felt under the weather for Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Miami Heat.

Per The Athletic's Jared Weiss, Williams "was dealing with an illness" since early Monday morning before the game tipped off at 8:30 p.m. ET.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2023, 04:51:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
What really bothered me was Al and Smart both talking after the game about how proud they are of the team.
Yeah, I don't get that either.

They underachieved. Why are they proud?

Loser attitude.

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2023, 05:58:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What really bothered me was Al and Smart both talking after the game about how proud they are of the team.

Loser attitude.
And they are supposedly the vocal leaders of the team. Explains a lot!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2023, 06:15:14 PM »

Offline DocomoCelts

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24
This was probably the worst outcome, with the team doing just enough to get Brad to run it back. With sleepy Joe at the helm, so much money locked into 2 no.2’s and other teams retooling over the summer, the path ahead looks a bit grim.

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2023, 06:17:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Boston Celtics center Robert Williams III felt under the weather for Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Miami Heat.

Per The Athletic's Jared Weiss, Williams "was dealing with an illness" since early Monday morning before the game tipped off at 8:30 p.m. ET.

He looked good in the small minutes he played.

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2023, 06:19:37 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Shams said he was throwing up throughout the game and that's why he disappeared to the locker room a few times and why his minutes were limited.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2023, 07:28:44 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Shams said he was throwing up throughout the game and that's why he disappeared to the locker room a few times and why his minutes were limited.
So JT, Timelord and Brogdon all disabled

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2023, 07:31:41 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

So once again injuries (plus the terrible shooting) derailed the Celtics. Shocker.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2023, 07:34:26 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

All excuses tbh. Tyler Herro, Victor Oladipo were out, and Gabe Vincent was out in Game 5. This team should've played like how they're supposed to play as a #2 seed defending games 1 and 2. See what happens when you prolong a series against lesser foes? You start wearing out and get exhausted!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2023, 07:40:41 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Yeah, I’m similarly relieved. Had no faith they’d beat Denver, and felt like another Finals achievement would lead to more of the same, which unfortunately looks like we’re going to get regardless.

Did not enjoy this team like last year or other years. This team felt more like the last Kyrie year and last Brad year. They were a chore to watch, and didn’t feel deserving of a championship.

Now at least this team will stop stressing me out and consistently underachieving.

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2023, 07:54:34 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
On a personal level, I’m disappointed but not devastated.  I mentioned elsewhere that I never really bought in on this team.  The loss is an end to a source of frustration for me, and it’s not entirely unwelcome.

From a more objective viewpoint, we’re in a pickle.  The upcoming CBA almost feels tailored specifically to scuttle the team we’ve built.  I don’t know what Mazzulla’s ceiling is as a coach (and I have no interest in debating it), but whatever it is, it seems reasonable to expect that he’ll take significant time to reach it.  But we likely won’t have a team nearly as talented as this one.  So this theoretical Experienced Mazzulla won’t have as much to work with.  We have a win-later coach on a win-now team in a win-now climate.

We had all the pieces we needed.  It just never came together.  And I’m concerned we’re about to find out how precious these opportunities are. 

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2023, 11:21:09 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2960
  • On To Banner 18!

Loser attitude.

I think it was either Game 2 or Game 3, but Smart literally told Butler on the court to stop acting cocky because the C’s beat them last year. That was a terrible look IMO but also pretty much summed it up sadly. These guys act like they’ve won something before when they haven’t. Who cares about last year’s results now?

And hell, Butler told everyone last year after Game 7 they’d be back and taking vengeance, and guess what. They did. Miami’s just way more mentally tougher than us

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2023, 03:17:11 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

Loser attitude.

I think it was either Game 2 or Game 3, but Smart literally told Butler on the court to stop acting cocky because the C’s beat them last year. That was a terrible look IMO but also pretty much summed it up sadly. These guys act like they’ve won something before when they haven’t. Who cares about last year’s results now?

And hell, Butler told everyone last year after Game 7 they’d be back and taking vengeance, and guess what. They did. Miami’s just way more mentally tougher than us

Their coach disciplines them well. And what do we have, a coach who sits on his hands 24/7...might as well put a cone out there coaching these guys.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2023, 05:24:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

So once again injuries (plus the terrible shooting) derailed the Celtics. Shocker.
It's almost as if we muck around too much in the early rounds and beat up our own guys, when we should dispatch teams much quicker
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)