Author Topic: Would we have won with Ime?  (Read 4519 times)

Would we have won with Ime?
« on: May 30, 2023, 02:12:50 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Debate my friends and I had today.

All things being the same 2 seed, same path - do we win this series or it all if we still had Ime?

We all agreed that we do, we likely come out of the East with 3-5 less losses and easily beat Denver.

I however reversed the sands of time if we had Ime. I assumed we finished first, played Miami first round and Giannis never gets hurt, and in that scenario I said even with Ime we wouldnt have come out of the East.

Interesting to think about to say the least..

Re: Would we have won with Ime?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 02:18:01 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
yes. ime beat  them last year clinching game 7 on the road.  miami was not embarrassed in their game 7 last year. if we were to lose game 7 it shoulda been close. like miamis last year. this was a travesty what we witnessed. plus ime would not have had us down 3-0 either. ime woulda had us ready for game 7 at home. absolutely disgusting what we watched joe do or not do.

yes this teams player core would still have the same issues. ime however always demanded defense and would get in their grills. that alone would have won us the series. same as last year.

not sure we beat denver. who knows. but yes we beat the heat just on coaching alone with IME. he would have made the small difference to get past them like last year with even more talent this year. or so they say.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 02:24:15 PM by Boston Garden Leprechaun »
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 02:20:47 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Obviously this is one of those butterfly effect questions that opens up a million possibilities, but my first inclination is no, because I think the prioritisation of offense happens regardless, based on the Finals, and I don't think the roster (assuming it stays the same) or the coaching staff could do much about the defensive drop-off. I think we're still living and dying by the three.

But what do I know.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 02:22:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think we're definitely in the Finals.  There's no reason we should have lost against Miami.

I'm not as sure about Denver.  Probably.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 02:27:38 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
Yes, no question. Ime doesn't banish grant. I don't think he plays brogdon.

I'd not bet my life on this, but I think another year under Ime and some of the issues that have plagued the team might have been exercised as well.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 02:28:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think so.  Ime isn't clueless.  He also seemed to have that locker room while I don't think Joe does at all.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 02:36:01 PM »

Online aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
I think we win - but it's far from a sure thing.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 02:54:30 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Maybe the Heat are just on one of those runs. Martin and Vincent are probably playing the best ball of their careers. Spoelstra is a good coach and the core have played together for awhile now.

Besides beating us, let’s not forget they trounced the Bucks. Should we have won? Yes. If we hadn’t lost 3 games at home in the series, we win. But the best team doesn’t win the title every year. I think Denver is the best team in the west and would be a worthy champion, but it wouldn’t shock me if the Heat’s magical and unlikely run continued another couple weeks.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 03:05:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Maybe the Heat are just on one of those runs. Martin and Vincent are probably playing the best ball of their careers. Spoelstra is a good coach and the core have played together for awhile now.

Besides beating us, let’s not forget they trounced the Bucks. Should we have won? Yes. If we hadn’t lost 3 games at home in the series, we win. But the best team doesn’t win the title every year. I think Denver is the best team in the west and would be a worthy champion, but it wouldn’t shock me if the Heat’s magical and unlikely run continued another couple weeks.

While that's all true, I think that better coaching and a better defensive system probably wins us, at minimum, one of Game 1 and Game 2.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 03:05:22 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Slightly better D with Ime and we win. I believe it could have resulted in at least one more home win per series too.

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 03:07:13 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Nope

Players choked in the same way they did last season with or without ime. This also had to do with the Heat and Caleb Martin. They were the 1 seed last season and currently playing better then that.

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 03:15:36 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Obviously this is one of those butterfly effect questions that opens up a million possibilities, but my first inclination is no, because I think the prioritisation of offense happens regardless, based on the Finals, and I don't think the roster (assuming it stays the same) or the coaching staff could do much about the defensive drop-off. I think we're still living and dying by the three.

But what do I know.

I don’t buy this logic at all.

It’s not a coincidence that we went from an elite defensive-minded team under a defensive-minded coach to an offensive-minded team under an offensive-minded coach.

No way Ime let’s the defense drop as much as it did. That’s completely out of step with his priorities.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2023, 03:24:59 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
We would have won if Tatum hadn't turned his ankle on the first play of the game...Miami wasn't doing so hot to begin the game..but it started to go wrong, then Brogdon came in and started throwing up Airballs....Pretty much everything went wrong at the wrong time.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2023, 03:26:55 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Who cares? We don't have him, he's not coming back.

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2023, 03:36:18 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557

While that's all true, I think that better coaching and a better defensive system probably wins us, at minimum, one of Game 1 and Game 2.

agreed
LET'S GO CELTICS!