Author Topic: Tatum and Brown are average to below average at shooting 3PTs...  (Read 1329 times)

Re: Tatum and Brown are average to below average at shooting 3PTs...
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2023, 01:36:00 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
We are the 5th best 2PT shooting team in the league, yet we rank 29th in 2PT shooting attempts.  We're 28th in FTAs, despite being the 4th best FT shooting team in the NBA.

The offense needs more balance, and it needs to play to its strengths more.  There's just too much variability to taking threes.

Those two things are connected tho. Generally taking more of any shots will result in taking harder shots which will lower your percentage. In some ways we're only good from two because we take few mid rangers and the guy who does (Brown) is good at those shots.

But i get your point, we need to diversify the offense. Sure. But thats a front office issue, I think given the personnel they had the approach was fine.

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2023, 01:45:04 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
We are the 5th best 2PT shooting team in the league, yet we rank 29th in 2PT shooting attempts.  We're 28th in FTAs, despite being the 4th best FT shooting team in the NBA.

The offense needs more balance, and it needs to play to its strengths more.  There's just too much variability to taking threes.

Those two things are connected tho. Generally taking more of any shots will result in taking harder shots which will lower your percentage. In some ways we're only good from two because we take few mid rangers and the guy who does (Brown) is good at those shots.

But i get your point, we need to diversify the offense. Sure. But thats a front office issue, I think given the personnel they had the approach was fine.

Front office issue?  The personnel they have allows them to be way more than a 3 point chucking team.  I don't think this offensive strategy is "fine" either.  It actually sucks and is hard to watch. 

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2023, 01:56:16 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Tatum: 35.0% 3PT%; 32.3% 3PT% in playoffs
Brown: 33.5% 3PT%; 35.4% 3PT% in playoffs

As with many players, their averages have historically gone down as their attempts have gone up.  With Tatum in particular, his 3PT% has declined four straight seasons, as his 3PAs have increased each year.  Meanwhile, Tatum shot 55.8% on twos this year, and is an elite FT generator and shooter.  Jaylen shot 57.6% from two. 

That being the case, does a "shoot threes at all times" offense make sense with those as our two best players?  It's hard to mimic the Warriors if you don't have Steph and Klay.

Don't forget 25 turnovers for Jaylen Brown in this series. 8 in a game 7 at home and the last thing he should ask for is a super max contract. But everybody gets paid stupid money in today's sports entrainment world even if you don't deserve it. That way the ticket prices can be even higher next year to watch this slop they call basketball.

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2023, 02:00:05 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Front office issue?  The personnel they have allows them to be way more than a 3 point chucking team.  I don't think this offensive strategy is "fine" either.  It actually sucks and is hard to watch.

Like Shaq said, if he was in the timeout and they just went 0-10 shooting 3's he will punch the next guy in the face who takes a 3. It's game 7 get to the basket!! Problem is this coach preaches chucking the 3 ball and if they don't hit they have no clue what to do on offense. Brad knows this is how second row Joe operates. If Brad keeps him as the coach then yes this is a front office issue. Get a coach that can have these clowns run an actual offense instead of relying on contested step back 3's all the time.