Author Topic: Jimmy Butler didn't deserve ECF MVP...  (Read 2422 times)

Jimmy Butler didn't deserve ECF MVP...
« on: May 30, 2023, 08:42:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Come on, it was Caleb Martin.

When Martin was on the floor, the Heat had a plus-9.6 net rating; when he sat, they were at minus-4.2.

The Heat simply don't win this series if he doesn't play the best basketball of his life. He averaged 19.3 points and 6.4 rebounds, while shooting 60.2 percent from the field and 48.9 percent from 3-point land -- those shooting percentages are not typos -- and capped things off with a 26-point, 10-rebound effort in Game 7.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Jimmy Butler didn't deserve ECF MVP...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 08:44:42 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Him getting that was a sham. Guy disappeared for multiple games. Martin was the reason the Heat won the series.

I just do not understand how Butler can do no wrong in the eyes for the media. He is NEVER criticized and when it is his fault or he does not show up they blame everyone else around him.

From what I saw Doris Burke's vote decided it and she loves Butler about as much as Rachel Nichols does.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 08:46:15 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Miami empowers all their players 1-12 while we just freeze out half the roster and then when they are needed they as cold as a well diggers ass.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 08:49:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Martin did, I agree 100%

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 08:50:31 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Caleb Martin was the absolute difference maker and the most unexpected thing to happen to this series. 0 chance they win it without him and he showed true toughness and absolute grit to come out and play the way he did all throughout game 7. Sensational. He set the tone and the rest of that heat team followed.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 08:52:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Miami empowers all their players 1-12 while we just freeze out half the roster and then when they are needed they as cold as a well diggers ass.

Yeah, I can't imagine any scenario where Spoelstra has Hauser and Muscula buried on the bench for most of the playoffs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 08:58:09 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Yeah. Caleb Martin. Mind blown.
Can’t remember seeing a deep bench guy turn it on so much in such a late series.
And consistently. Over multiple games.
Seen bench guy get hot for like a quarter. Or maybe even have a bizarre great game.
But this??
I don’t remember seeing much like it before.
Good for him
Bad for us. 😢

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 09:25:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Butler averaged more points, more rebounds, more assists, and more steals all while being the primary defensive focus of the Celtics.  Martin had an excellent series, but Butler absolutely deserved to be the MVP as he was Miami's best player and most valuable player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 09:48:43 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I think he deserves ECF MVP for his post-game discussion of his teammates, specifically "I don't call them role players, I call them teammates". Outstanding.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 10:14:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Butler averaged more points, more rebounds, more assists, and more steals all while being the primary defensive focus of the Celtics.  Martin had an excellent series, but Butler absolutely deserved to be the MVP as he was Miami's best player and most valuable player.

Nope.

Butler also averaged more than twice as many turnovers and shot much, much worse.  And Martin was 6th on the Heat in usage, whereas Butler was 1st.  Butler's .448 eFG% was worst on the Heat among rotation players; Martin's was .727!!!  And perhaps the biggest indicator in terms of Butler's value:  the Heat were +9 overall with him on the floor this series and were outscored by the Celtics through the first six games when Jimmy was on the floor; they were +31 with Martin, with an elite +9.6 net rating.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 10:32:01 AM by Roy H. »

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 10:16:12 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Him getting that was a sham. Guy disappeared for multiple games. Martin was the reason the Heat won the series.

I just do not understand how Butler can do no wrong in the eyes for the media. He is NEVER criticized and when it is his fault or he does not show up they blame everyone else around him.

From what I saw Doris Burke's vote decided it and she loves Butler about as much as Rachel Nichols does.

Blame Reggie Miller who kept saying during the broadcast that "you could really make a case for Caleb to be ECF MVP" and then still voted Butler.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 10:27:32 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Caleb Martin got screwed. He was Miami’s best and most consistent player that entire series. Butler literally no showed for 3 straight games. Butler rode Martin’s coattails that series. It’s ridiculous Butker was given the ECF MVP just based on narrative. Then again, the NBA media got bullied by Embiid into giving him the real MVP so maybe not a total surprise.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2023, 05:59:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Martin kept them in games with his shooting, whilst Butler was either brilliant or invisible. Should have been Martin
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2023, 06:14:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Totally agree.  Should've been Martin.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2023, 06:58:30 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Yeah, this is an example of the "give it to the guy who's generally considered the team's best player" approach, completely not taking a particular playoff series into consideration. If Martin was his "regular season" self, the Heat lose that series.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis