Author Topic: There were several poor calls….  (Read 1426 times)

There were several poor calls….
« on: May 29, 2023, 11:28:54 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
…that stifled our runs to get back into the game.

The officials definitely didn’t want this game to be close.

Phantom travel calls.

Missed carry calls.

The first play with Tatum rolling his ankle should have been a flagrant foul with Vincent leaving his left foot out under Tatum’s feet.

Just can be very frustrating for players when the game means so much.

Re: There were several poor calls….
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 11:32:16 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I’m not blaming this one on the refs.  We just stunk.  If anything, blame Tatum hurting his ankle on the first possession.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 11:33:55 PM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I agree there were some missed calls, but we lost this game by shooting poorly from three and insisting to shoot more to get back in the game. Meanwhile the defense gave up a ton of open threes for Miami which they obviously made. I also don’t get why we played through JB at the start of the game. Even when JT got the rebound, he’d pass it to JB and he brought the ball down. Maybe Joe wanted to get JB going early or what. What a time to experiment though.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 11:42:39 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I agree there were some missed calls, but we lost this game by shooting poorly from three and insisting to shoot more to get back in the game. Meanwhile the defense gave up a ton of open threes for Miami which they obviously made. I also don’t get why we played through JB at the start of the game. Even when JT got the rebound, he’d pass it to JB and he brought the ball down. Maybe Joe wanted to get JB going early or what. What a time to experiment though.

JT was hurt….they needed JB to step up but the pressure was too much.

I think the whole team came out too tight and missed shots.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 01:18:48 AM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
the poor calls that actually affected the outcome of the game were:

• hiring joe as HC
• not trading JB last offseason

the refs had no real impact on this game’s outcome.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 01:20:51 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
There'll always be bad refs. But tonight was on the Celtics folding. And credit to Spoelstra for preparing his team for a Game 7 after that heartbreaker in Game 6.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 02:05:45 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Can't blame the refs when you lose by 20 and shoot 39% overall, 21% from 3 and turn the ball over 15 times, half of those from your 2nd All NBA player.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 02:06:48 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

I think JB started thinking he needed to be a hero when all he had to be was himself. Be the best in your role rather than trying to be something you're not.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 02:21:04 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

I think JB started thinking he needed to be a hero when all he had to be was himself. Be the best in your role rather than trying to be something you're not.

That seems to be a really spot on observation.  When JT got injured, JB felt like he needed to take it upon himself to take up the slack.  That wasn't really what he should have thought, he should have thought, well I need to be the best version of myself tonight...but that's why it is hard to win titles.

Even our own best Hall of Fame players couldn't always get to the finals.  JB had a terrible game 7, and a bad series overall against Miami, but two really good series before that against Atlanta and Philly.  Jaylen wasn't 100% the reason we lost tonight, but he failed a test of being able to play within himself at the most stressful time, on the biggest stage.  The truth is that most of our great Celtic players have done that as well.  Hopefully JB gets the opportunity to stay a Celtic.   Obviously I am in the minority here.

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 02:48:23 AM »

Offline mig3zwo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
like others pointed out... we did not lose because of poor calls.
Miami was the better team this time...
yes... the ankle... a sloppy JB... not hitting any 3s, and trying to make it up by chucking more 3s... it didn't help. Miami was better this time.

3rd round isn't bad... I like to think, they will have a good chance next year, if they aim for the effort of game 4-6. ;)
a limbo dancer walks into a bar

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 02:49:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Refs didn't put us in that deep double-digit hole
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 07:13:57 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wonder, what was the refs' motivation?  Does the NBA prefer losing millions of dollars to seeing the Celtics advance?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes