Author Topic: JB is a low IQ player  (Read 8644 times)

Re: JB is a low IQ player
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2023, 11:18:30 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
He’s also a selfish player

Yea he is a horrible passer and a blackhole when the ball goes to him. Either he's going to come down and pull up 10ft behind the three point line early in the clock or put his head down and dribble into 3 or 4 defenders. How many times does he dribble and get stripped at the perimeter as well? Good player but not super max player. He needed to be a difference maker tonight, that's what super max players do. Instead he was a huge liability and hurt the team bad.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2023, 11:24:00 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
He became a much better shooter than anyone expected. But the free throws continue to be bad, and as you said he turns it over every time. He takes hero ball 3s at the worst time. I just don't want him. I'd trade him for Anthony Davis in a heartbeat even though AD is much older. Or JB for Karl Towns... JB for Karl Towns... I will take a day to be an Uber driver but the kind where they drive the fancy black SUV, and even drive him to Logan. i got you JB.

We'd be trading one choker for another. If Brown makes you mad, Towns would drive you insane, he's probably the softest player in the league.

Agreed. Like JB, Towns is super talented, but a low IQ player as well.

Is he low IQ or just lazy.  I’m not sure, but I thought it was the latter.   I wonder if he’d perform better as a #2 on a contender.

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2023, 11:25:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Brown doesn't impact winning the way a lot of people have continually told me he does, despite years of evidence to the contrary.  Entering tonight, Boston was -5.9 points per 100 possessions worse when Brown was in the game in the playoffs this year.  It got worse tonight.  During the regular season, it was -3.8 so it wasn't just a small sample size fluke.  Nor is it a 1 year fluke.  In fact, Brown has never had a positive on/off differential in the playoffs except for his rookie year when he was a backup that played 12.6 mpg.  Except for the last few months at the end of the 22 season, the team has quite simply been worse with him in the game, time and time again.  Brown is not worth 60 million a year.  Brown is barely worth his current contract to the Celtics (he is to another team). 

Brown just isn't the right fit next to Tatum.  He doesn't have any elite skills and the skills he is best at, just happen to be Tatum's better skills and Tatum is just better than him.  Tatum plays better when Brown isn't in the game and the team does as well, because they don't cater to getting touches to the lesser player at the expense of Tatum.  Boston is at its best when Tatum is at his best and Tatum is at his best when Brown isn't on the floor.  He has more room to work, the offense runs through him more, and he doesn't have to cede touches to a duplicative lesser player.  Brown's skill set just doesn't add much to the Celtics.  They need someone that provides more and different things as opposed to just being a worse version of Tatum.

I've said this for years and I will continue to say it as long as Brown is on this team.  He just doesn't work with Tatum and he doesn't impact winning like he should for his ability.  That is why the team should trade him.  That is why the team should have traded him years ago.  That is why the team doesn't have any titles since 2008.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2023, 11:27:02 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Brown's nickname should be "The Singularity."

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2023, 11:38:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
We said a lot of the same stuff last year and not much has changed tbh
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2023, 11:38:34 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
He became a much better shooter than anyone expected. But the free throws continue to be bad, and as you said he turns it over every time. He takes hero ball 3s at the worst time. I just don't want him. I'd trade him for Anthony Davis in a heartbeat even though AD is much older. Or JB for Karl Towns... JB for Karl Towns... I will take a day to be an Uber driver but the kind where they drive the fancy black SUV, and even drive him to Logan. i got you JB.

We'd be trading one choker for another. If Brown makes you mad, Towns would drive you insane, he's probably the softest player in the league.

Is he low IQ or just lazy.  I’m not sure, but I thought it was the latter.   I wonder if he’d perform better as a #2 on a contender.

He fouled out 2 of the 5 postseason games he played in this year. Also, had 5 fouls in game 4. I still might make that Swap for JB, though. C’s need a replacement for Horford and JT can play the 3.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 11:48:10 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2023, 11:41:39 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Zero handles
Inconsistent jump shot
Dribbles himself into trouble
Plays hero ball
Takes way too many tough shots
Turnover prone
No basketball IQ

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2023, 11:48:53 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273

i’ve always thought it was both.

he consistently and repeatedly makes poor decisions, more so in high stress situations. i remember his rookie season when the press was fawning over him as this high IQ renaissance man because he went to Cal, wore those geeky steve jobs glasses, and allegedly played chess. other than the PR, i haven’t seen anything to corroborate the hype. in fact, he’s proven to be an extremely dumb player.

imo, his laziness always seemed to be a “too cool for school” arrogance, as JB seems to think he’s better than everyone else. he’s always chaffed at the attention JT received, and i think JB is the sole source of the locker room tension. he’s got to go.

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2023, 11:51:47 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

he consistently and repeatedly makes poor decisions, more so in high stress situations. i remember his rookie season when the press was fawning over him as this high IQ renaissance man because he went to Cal, wore those geeky steve jobs glasses, and allegedly played chess. other than the PR, i haven’t seen anything to corroborate the hype. in fact, he’s proven to be an extremely dumb player.

imo, his laziness always seemed to be a “too cool for school” arrogance, as JB seems to think he’s better than everyone else. he’s always chaffed at the attention JT received, and i think JB is the sole source of the locker room tension. he’s got to go.

I agree about Brown. I was referring to Towns.

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2023, 12:06:22 AM »

Offline Indocelts

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 230

He fouled out 2 of the 5 postseason games he played in this year. Also, had 5 fouls in game 4. I still might make that Swap for JB, though. C’s need a replacement for Horford and JT can play the 3.

Agreed. I’ll take Town for Brown if there is no other option.

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2023, 12:09:23 AM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273

I agree about Brown. I was referring to Towns.

lol, my mistake.

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2023, 12:09:54 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Jaylen Brown has career-high eight turnovers in Game 7

Tom Haberstroh: Jaylen Brown’s 8 turnovers is a career-high and the most in a Celtics Game 7 in franchise history, per @stathead. – via Twitter tomhaberstroh
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2023, 12:16:33 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 226
Zero handles
Inconsistent jump shot
Plays hero ball
Turnover prone
No basketball IQ

Not a good defender, either. Don't know why he still has a reputation as one..

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2023, 12:17:58 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Zero handles
Inconsistent jump shot
Plays hero ball
Turnover prone
No basketball IQ

Not a good defender, either. Don't know why he still has a reputation as one..

Both him and Smart were getting cooked by Robinson, Vincent and Martin all series. It was ridiculous. White meanwhile actually played great defense when matched up on those guys
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2023, 12:23:13 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Brown doesn't impact winning the way a lot of people have continually told me he does, despite years of evidence to the contrary.  Entering tonight, Boston was -5.9 points per 100 possessions worse when Brown was in the game in the playoffs this year.  It got worse tonight.  During the regular season, it was -3.8 so it wasn't just a small sample size fluke.  Nor is it a 1 year fluke.  In fact, Brown has never had a positive on/off differential in the playoffs except for his rookie year when he was a backup that played 12.6 mpg.  Except for the last few months at the end of the 22 season, the team has quite simply been worse with him in the game, time and time again.  Brown is not worth 60 million a year.  Brown is barely worth his current contract to the Celtics (he is to another team). 

Brown just isn't the right fit next to Tatum.  He doesn't have any elite skills and the skills he is best at, just happen to be Tatum's better skills and Tatum is just better than him.  Tatum plays better when Brown isn't in the game and the team does as well, because they don't cater to getting touches to the lesser player at the expense of Tatum.  Boston is at its best when Tatum is at his best and Tatum is at his best when Brown isn't on the floor.  He has more room to work, the offense runs through him more, and he doesn't have to cede touches to a duplicative lesser player.  Brown's skill set just doesn't add much to the Celtics.  They need someone that provides more and different things as opposed to just being a worse version of Tatum.

I've said this for years and I will continue to say it as long as Brown is on this team.  He just doesn't work with Tatum and he doesn't impact winning like he should for his ability.  That is why the team should trade him.  That is why the team should have traded him years ago.  That is why the team doesn't have any titles since 2008.

Pretty much this. Tatum is clearly the superior player, and Brown doesn't complement our best player like he should with a lot of overlap in their main skills. He's just not a complete enough player to justify that large of a contract commitment.

I'm to the point of trading him. As much as I'm not a huge fan of Trae, he would seemingly much better complement Tatum and be an answer to some of our issues. Siakam may be another better fitting piece than Brown.

EDIT: Hell, even Lillard at his age may be better for us.