Author Topic: Move To Get Over The Hump?  (Read 4459 times)

Re: Move To Get Over The Hump?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2023, 06:10:02 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Last year we got Brogdon which was a great move, he just got hurt at the most inopportune time. What is our move this offseason to try and get over the hump?

*NOTE: this does not include changing coaches (that is part of it, but I am referring to just roster moves).

Last year, the need for a 3rd option to play behind Tatum and Jaylen was the top priority.

This summer I see two main areas for possible improvement (1) moving away from the combo guards to one quick PG who drive the ball well and pass (2) bringing in a starting big man to help with an aging Horford and injury prone Timelord.

Another possible move may be replacing G Will with a different combo forward although they may just stick with Hauser (SF) & Gallo (PF/C) as the backup forwards should G Will leave.

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2023, 06:47:43 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
1) A quick PG who is good in the clutch and can help Tatum in the last 5min of a game. Lillard comes to mind, I would be all in for it. Mitchell would be nice too but i don't see the Cavs trading him.

I guess Brown would need to be the one to go. After tonight Brown his value is low but before people were suggesting Brown for Lillard straight up isn't that bad for either side. Only the money thing... so Smart + Brown for Lillard might work.

2) Get another big. Al is getting really old and we can't rely on RWIII.
Draymond Green would be nice along with Lillard. Or try to sign Poetl or Naz Reid, but both probably out of reach. I wouldn't mind K-Love to play the experienced vet and be the 10th guy of the bench.

In any sense we have too many SG type of players. Smart, White, Brown, Brogdon. They all have their strenghts but none can run an offense without flaws. Probably need to let go of 1 or 2 of those to rebalance the roster.

If we can somehow hang on to PP I would like that. I think he is still a NBA player, I would be OK him being our 4th guard.

Although I don't blame Joe, its not the right coach for this veteran team... so yes a new coach with perhaps his own coachingstaff would be desirable. I somehow hope that Joe realises this himself and tells BS because not sure Brad is going to let him go after the almost comeback (a sweep in that sense would have been better).

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2023, 06:50:06 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Legit big man
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2023, 07:05:37 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
New coach , strong leader and voice with experience.

Better big for Al .   Kornet and Muscala basically were worthless statues , as was the coach Joe .

Good news is Rob survived and I’m betting he ll,be back much better next season with continuing to strengthen his knee , a lot is just rest  time and work on that leg.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 07:12:32 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2023, 07:20:57 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Jokic would had tore the Celtics up & hopefully he will Miami
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2023, 07:23:51 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Same as it was before the season started: a legit third big and a legit wing. Neither Kornet nor Hauser fit that bill.

They need a mentally tough vet

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2023, 07:39:42 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
New coach , strong leader and voice with experience.

Better big for Al .   Kornet and Muscala basically were worthless statues , as was the coach Joe .

Good news is Rob survived and I’m betting he ll,be back much better next season with continuing to strengthen his knee , a lot is just rest  time and work on that leg.

I agree, a new coach... defensive minded...bring in an assistant with a great offensive pedigree
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2023, 07:49:09 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
If they decide to keep Joe, how about an associate head coach (like Thins was to Doc) who can toughen up our D and polish our offense. We need plays to free up JT when we need to score. Chuck was right, we don’t run any plays!

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2023, 08:11:19 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Add experience to the coaching bench to help the head coach.

Re-establish the defensive identity for this team.   

Learn how to win games outside of the three pointer.

and

use the depth more during the regular season to both save the legs of the top players and to prepare regular season depth to be playoff depth.   

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2023, 08:17:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If they decide to keep Joe, how about an associate head coach (like Thins was to Doc) who can toughen up our D and polish our offense. We need plays to free up JT when we need to score. Chuck was right, we don’t run any plays!
I’ve thought about this too. Someone like Vogel maybe?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2023, 08:31:09 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I’ve thought about this too. Someone like Vogel maybe?

This would be great. Maybe use G. Will as a sign and trade to get tha propee floor general and big?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2023, 08:52:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Get Kevin McHale in here to work with Rob on a few post moves.

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2023, 08:58:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Smart + Kornet for Julius Randle, haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2023, 09:16:02 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Obviously, if you can trade Brown and pieces to get Luka, that is ideal.  Same to get Embiid.

Since those are extremely unlikely, Brown for Towns might make sense, but I'd imagine pairing Towns with Robert Williams may have the same result as pairing Towns with Gobert.

I like the idea of Lillard for Brown, but there is a huge age and durability discrepancy.

How about Brown for Trae Young?  I know we lose a lot defensively, but maybe we can actually get a shot maker and a player who can create offense for others.  This would clear up a lot of redundancy for both teams.

While we're at it, can we somehow add other pieces, like Grant Williams and Brogdon for Collins?  I am not sure how the money works, but I see Atlanta as a viable option where both teams can improve from a deal.

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2023, 09:20:04 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I still think big man is a need. Timelord and Horford are best off the bench given Horford's age + Timelord's injury risk. We can't just rely on those two next season and beyond. Need a bit more. Even another rotational center that can eat minutes would be fine.

Keeping Griffin/Muscala around as 4th-5th bigs are fine, but we need another real big to add to the mix of Timelord/Horford.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller