Author Topic: Lonzo’s Career May Be Over  (Read 1780 times)

Lonzo’s Career May Be Over
« on: May 29, 2023, 10:49:59 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The Bulls privately believe that Lonzo Ball’s playing days are over due to lingering knee issues, according to 670 The Score’s Dan Bernstein. While co-hosting the Organizations Win Championships podcast, Bernstein reported that the team fears the worst in regard to the former lottery draft pick’s ailing left knee.

“The other thing I heard is even though publicly there has been an expression of guarded optimism regarding a future for Lonzo Ball,” Bernstein said. “And there’s a reason why for you’re pursuant to all kinds of union issues, why they haven’t asked for the salary exemption yet because they don’t want to send the message publicly that they’re done with him. They don’t think it’s likely that he ever plays again.”

It was reported by ESPN and The Athletic in March that Ball was set to undergo a third surgery on his left knee after the Bulls ruled him out for the rest of the 2022–23 season because of lingering knee pain. He hasn’t played since he left a Jan. 14, 2022, game with knee soreness, which eventually revealed a small tear in his meniscus.

On March 16, the Bulls announced Ball would undergo a cartilage transplant, and Bernstein noted that the procedure was a sign that the team was exhausting every option before coming to the conclusion that Ball’s days as an NBA point guard appear to be over.
“That was our speculation when we heard about experimental cartilage replacement surgery,” Bernstein said. “It is incredibly rare and is much more likely being done just for his quality of life off of the basketball court.”

—————————

Source: Sports Illustrated
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Report: Lonzo’s Career May Be Over
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 10:50:53 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
So sad. Guy had a lot of potential.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Lonzo’s Career May Be Over
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 11:16:39 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Who remembered Lavar Ball and Big Baller Brand trying to take over the NBA until LeBron James went to LAL.

Now it's all crickets and I think LaVar was probably exiled from the league since I haven't heard his name in many moons.

Poor Lonzo tho, he had lots of potential. The first two picks of the 2017 draft did not live up to expectations

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 11:17:47 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
It’s too bad for fans and too bad for Lonzo given that I’m sure he wanted a long playing career. As to how sad it is, that depends on Lonzo’s frame of mind.  He’s a 25 year old with many millions of dollars and I hope in good health aside from a bad knee.  It certainly doesn’t have to be tragic.  Guy can pursue just about anything in the world he wants to pursue outside of playing pro basketball in the NBA. That’s a lot of options for a young man. I hope he’s able to play again, but if not - hope he’s got his head in the right place.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 12:01:31 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
What a shame.  I was really beginning to appreciate his game before his injuries.  His ball handling and passing were fun to watch.  I thought it was impressive how his shot kept gradually improving along with his mechanics.  He must have been working a lot on it.  He had also told his father to quiet down which he did. 

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 12:14:53 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Forced retirement is never fun to watch. An annoyingly fun player to watch, considering how easy it would have been to just dislike him on account of his father.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2023, 12:38:20 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Hope this isn't gonna stick.

Always like Lonzo, great demeanour, especially in that family.

Hope he can at least have a D Rose style late career...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2023, 01:24:51 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
This is rough news to hear.  I alwasys liked watching him play, he was a great passer and ball handler.  I always thought that he would have paired well with the J's if the C's had ever decided to move Smart.  Glad for the C's that it never happened.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2023, 01:47:57 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
That is terrible. On a side note I wish the Lakers had built around their young guys instead of going after the mercenaries LeBron and AD. I enjoy the rivalry, but that Laker team has become so hateable that I can barely stand to watch them at all.

It would have been nice to see their young core compete against ours.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2023, 03:01:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Bulls were actually a really solid team in the brief period he was healthy for them.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2023, 03:20:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/gottliebshow/status/1662948333751791616?s=46&t=2XICXD1S1auwdIVvfhoXgw

Lakers believe his initial injury was because of the shoes he wore (BBB - Big Baller Brand started by his dad). If so, OOF. Not the primary reason BUT a factor.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2023, 03:38:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sad but for some hope. Mike Soroka is pitching tonight for the Braves.  He last pitched August 3, 2020 when he tore his achilles.  He tore it again during rehab in 2021.  I know an achilles isn't the same thing as a knee, but it took Soroka nearly 3 years to pitch at the major league level again.  Hopefully Lonzo gets it fixed this time and makes a full recovery.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2023, 04:44:02 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Sad but unfortunately it happens in sports
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2023, 05:55:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Bulls "privately" believe this, reports journalist to international media outlets. Found that funny.

The scenario, however, is anything but funny. Very tragic to see his career go this way
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2023, 07:47:10 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
That sucks for Lonzo. He’s still young at 25 though. Maybe the Bulls cut him (is that a possibility?) and he re-emerges after a couple of years to attempt a comeback?