Author Topic: Bucks Hire Adrian Griffin As Next Head Coach  (Read 2481 times)

Bucks Hire Adrian Griffin As Next Head Coach
« on: May 27, 2023, 02:14:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1662517307476701184

ESPN Sources: The Milwaukee Bucks are planning to hire Toronto Raptors assistant Adrian Griffin as the franchise’s next head coach. Sides are progressing on terms of an agreement
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Bucks Hire Adrian Griffin As Next Head Coach
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 02:15:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
OOPS I realized I put this on the GDT section. Sorry. Could a mod move it to another section lol

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 02:30:14 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
OOPS I realized I put this on the GDT section. Sorry. Could a mod move it to another section lol

FLCeltsFan is gonna be peeved when she sees you mucked up her forum.  ;)

All set.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 02:32:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

FLCeltsFan is gonna be peeved when she sees you mucked up her forum.  ;)

All set.

LOL. Maybe we should just name that GDT section, "FLCeltsFan's Lair"  :laugh:

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 02:45:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
"Griffin began his National Basketball Association (NBA) career in 1999–2000 with the Boston Celtics. As a rookie, his averages were 7 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.61 steals per game."

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 02:51:41 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
I loved Griffin on that 99-00 squad! He was like a young vet for those guys. Good defensive chops.
I really liked Eric Williams back then too.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 02:52:44 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
So the Bucks passed over Vogel and Nurse, two HC’s who have won championships for Griffin who has never coached a game. Guess Giannis gets what Giannis wants. Lol
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 03:16:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
That's not the name I was expecting.  Good for him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 03:38:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
His ex-wife accused him of some pretty horrible stuff, all of which he vociferously denied, and subsequently filed a libel lawsuit against her in 2021. I have not heard anything further about this. Would think that Bucks did their due diligence on this.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2023, 03:39:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
So the Bucks passed over Vogel and Nurse, two HC’s who have won championships for Griffin who has never coached a game. Guess Giannis gets what Giannis wants. Lol

I could be wrong but Nurse I believe pulled himself out of the running. I think Nurse is going either Sixers or Suns. Hopefully not Sixers lol

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2023, 04:27:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
Wow, that is a blast from the past. I remember him primarily for his stint with Dirk's Mavs back when A Griffin was the only guy on the team who played any defense. Some time in Chicago after that as a deep bench piece. I liked those Bulls teams. And Mavs teams.

He was always pegged as a future coach. All the way back then. I look forward to seeing how he does.

That said, I would not have hired a rookie head coach to work with my veteran Championship caliber roster. I would want someone with experience. I am happy A Griffin got a chance but it shouldn't have been with the Bucks. Add a rookie head coach to an aging roster of B Lopez, Jrue (some talk of him retiring after current deal expires) and an injury plagued Middleton. That team could be rebuilding soon. Failure to win, failure to compete, could push Giannis out the door. Something to watch next 12-24 months. This could be the beginning of the end of Giannis' tenure in Milwaukee.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2023, 04:41:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

I could be wrong but Nurse I believe pulled himself out of the running. I think Nurse is going either Sixers or Suns. Hopefully not Sixers lol

Maybe a wink and a nudge from Wyc?

Anyway - was an Adrian Griffin fan when he popped into Boston a 25 year old rookie and proceeded to play hard and consistently and well!   I’d take him as a bench guy any day.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2023, 04:53:22 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Wow, that is a blast from the past. I remember him primarily for his stint with Dirk's Mavs back when A Griffin was the only guy on the team who played any defense. Some time in Chicago after that as a deep bench piece. I liked those Bulls teams. And Mavs teams.

He was always pegged as a future coach. All the way back then. I look forward to seeing how he does.

That said, I would not have hired a rookie head coach to work with my veteran Championship caliber roster. I would want someone with experience. I am happy A Griffin got a chance but it shouldn't have been with the Bucks. Add a rookie head coach to an aging roster of B Lopez, Jrue (some talk of him retiring after current deal expires) and an injury plagued Middleton. That team could be rebuilding soon. Failure to win, failure to compete, could push Giannis out the door. Something to watch next 12-24 months. This could be the beginning of the end of Giannis' tenure in Milwaukee.

You don’t think Giannis signed off on this? I’d wager he did. Same goes for kicking Bud to the curb.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2023, 04:58:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405

You don’t think Giannis signed off on this? I’d wager he did. Same goes for kicking Bud to the curb.

It is possible but I wouldn't be sure about it. Not every star player wants that influence over their front office. Some just want to concentrate on playing. Take care of their own duties & let the front office do their job.

Giannis strikes me as that type of player. Maybe he is; maybe he isn't.

Either way, it doesn't necessarily matter. If it doesn't work out, he'll still be unhappy and start wondering if there are greener pastures elsewhere. Players tend not to take ownership of bad decisions they were involved in with the front office. They tend more towards just looking after themselves and their own career decisions.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2023, 05:00:25 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Different circumstances, but the choice of Adrian Griffin, a young assistant coach, to take over as coach of the Bucks, a vet contending team, is very similar in a lot of ways to the choice of Mazzulla to take over as Celtics coach.