Author Topic: Gabe Vincent out for game 5  (Read 5518 times)

Re: Gabe Vincent out for game 5
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2023, 11:21:17 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think they missed Gabe bad. They couldn't find guys in their spots from what I saw watching the DVR.

My friends said the Celtics won because Gabe Vincent was injured  ::)

I don’t think that’s true, but I do think it made the game easier.

I agree, I don't think Vincent mattered.  Highsmith and Robinson combined for 33 points with ridiculous efficiency.  Vincent has been great, but Highsmith stepped in for 36 min and Robinson played upped his minutes.  Miami's game is still to let Butler control the ball and find the open players.  This game it was Highsmith and Robinson who hit shots instead of Vincent and Martin.  It is crazy how well the entire Miami supporting cast has been playing.

Maybe Vincent defends White a little better, I don't know.  I actually don't think even that.  The shots White was hitting have been there for him all series.

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2023, 11:24:23 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think they missed Gabe bad. They couldn't find guys in their spots from what I saw watching the DVR.

I agree, I don't think Vincent mattered.  Highsmith and Robinson combined for 33 points with ridiculous efficiency.  Vincent has been great, but Highsmith stepped in for 36 min and Robinson played upped his minutes.  Miami's game is still to let Butler control the ball and find the open players.  This game it was Highsmith and Robinson who hit shots instead of Vincent and Martin.  It is crazy how well the entire Miami supporting cast has been playing.

Maybe Vincent defends White a little better, I don't know.  I actually don't think even that.  The shots White was hitting have been there for him all series.

I think Vincent mattered a lot. Its not even so much about the efficiency, without him they have a very limited number of guys who they can trust to even dribble. Caleb Martin was bringing the ball up on some plays because with Lowry looking old they lack guard play.  They need him for his ability to run offense.

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2023, 12:22:42 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I think Vincent mattered a lot. Its not even so much about the efficiency, without him they have a very limited number of guys who they can trust to even dribble. Caleb Martin was bringing the ball up on some plays because with Lowry looking old they lack guard play.  They need him for his ability to run offense.

Considering the number of turnovers, it may have mattered.   Maybe not enough for Miami to win, but enough that it would have been closer before the benches were emptied.

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2023, 12:27:55 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Considering the number of turnovers, it may have mattered.   Maybe not enough for Miami to win, but enough that it would have been closer before the benches were emptied.

Well they basically turned the ball over the same amount as their previous game, so maybe... but maybe not.

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2023, 12:28:05 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Is he expected to play tomorrow?  I know the official word won't come out until right before the game but was it ever implied that this could cause him to miss more than one game?

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2023, 01:06:44 PM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Is he expected to play tomorrow?  I know the official word won't come out until right before the game but was it ever implied that this could cause him to miss more than one game?
Hopefully whatever demon was possessed him with the game of Jason Kidd has been exorcised.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2023, 01:40:27 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
If he does play, he won’t be 100%
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2023, 02:03:20 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Well they basically turned the ball over the same amount as their previous game, so maybe... but maybe not.

Let me put it this way. Kyle Lowry in game 5 had a 121.2 offensive rating, which for a team that only scored 97 points is insane. The team as a whole had a 111.5offensive rating. Kyle Lowry played 30 minutes, which means in the 18 minutes he didn't play the Heat's offense was GOD AWFUL. That's because he's their only remaining point guard. Having your only PG be 37 years old and not really able to play 30+ minutes effectively is a huge problem.

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2023, 05:22:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

They are not your friends …..enemies   :)

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2023, 06:46:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Mike Gorman this morning said he heard Vincent really wanted to play Game 5 but they decided to be cautious with him and let him rest up a bit. So I'm guessing he can go Game 6, but he probably won't be 100% the rest of this series.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2023, 10:16:33 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Mike Gorman this morning said he heard Vincent really wanted to play Game 5 but they decided to be cautious with him and let him rest up a bit. So I'm guessing he can go Game 6, but he probably won't be 100% the rest of this series.

Even better. We need all the edge we can get. None of this "I wanna beat them when they're at their strongest to prove that I am the strongest, Marquis of Queensberry rules"  :angel:

What about Caleb Martin? Apparently he tweaked his knee? Any chance he is out too?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2023, 10:43:45 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

They are not your friends …..enemies   :)

Exactly. Also, the Celtics have been playing a guy with a torn tendon in his shooting arm who hasn't been able to hit the ocean since that injury.

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2023, 07:34:33 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364

Hopefully that means he wont be able to shoot 50% from 3....and is more like the guy in game 4 who shot 25%

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2023, 08:00:40 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Even better. We need all the edge we can get. None of this "I wanna beat them when they're at their strongest to prove that I am the strongest, Marquis of Queensberry rules"  :angel:

What about Caleb Martin? Apparently he tweaked his knee? Any chance he is out too?

For all the talk about Miami's injuries, we're not exactly at our strongest either. They lost the 21-22 6MOTY, well, we [essentially] lost the 22-23 6MOTY early in the series. Oladipo going down certainly hurt their guard depth, but nobody even talks about Gallo anymore, who was supposed to be in the top 8-9 of our rotation.

Vincent missing game 5 was a pretty big deal for them in terms of playmaking, but Highsmith was fantastic shooting the ball, was a plus defender, and actually ended up a positive in +/- over 36 minutes. If say White was out and Pritchard gave us what Highsmith did last game, then I would still expect us to compete.

All this means nothing now, though. Game 6 is a new game. Hopefully Miami will dwell on the fact that it's not fair and the Celtics go into Miami and blow them out.

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2023, 12:35:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Vincent officially playing tonight
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller