Author Topic: Heat (3-1) at Celtics (1-3) ECF Game #5 5/25/23  (Read 24608 times)

Re: Heat (3-1) at Celtics (1-3) ECF Game #5 5/25/23
« Reply #705 on: May 26, 2023, 09:05:06 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't know why anyone is talking about what will happen in Game 7 or worrying about Denver.  I know it is cliche but one game at a time.  Game 6 is going to be tough.  We played a good game 5, better than game 4, and certainly better than games 1-3.  But there was still some sloppy play around the edges in game 5.  Plus, MIA is likely going to play better in game 6.  We are going to need to tick it up a little more in game 6, I think we can.  I don't feel we have played our absolute best yet in this series.

And what is it with these MIA bench guys?  Vincent is out so Robinson goes 7-10, 18 pts and Highsmith goes 6-9, 15 pts, on the road.  I know in the playoffs, the defense focuses on the best players (Butler and Adebayo) and the lesser players end up with better looks but still.  It is crazy what this MIA supporting cast continues to do.

As to game 6, I heard Brown and others state the obvious.  It comes down to how the Celtics play.  If they play at or near their best, I don't think there is anything MIA can do to beat them.  Even Butler scoring 50 or whatever.  The Celtics have zero room for error, stating the obvious again.  Can they keep it up?  Can they force a game 7?  I think they believe they can and no matter what Jimmy Butler says, I think MIA is plenty worried right now.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 11:07:59 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #707 on: May 26, 2023, 09:43:58 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Who would have home court? Celtics or nuggets?

Home court or not won't matter, the C's will find ways to lose their home games.and just make it tough on themselves

But Celtics have home court to answer your question

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #708 on: May 26, 2023, 09:44:49 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
At the end of the day, we avoided the sweep, the Lakers are out of the playoffs - everything else that happens in this series is house money.

Yeah. If it's Denver-Miami, happy for both of them. Don't care who wins, I'd be fine with either. Would prefer Denver but wouldn't lose sleep if Miami won.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #709 on: May 26, 2023, 09:48:43 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
And what is it with these MIA bench guys?  Vincent is out so Robinson goes 7-10, 18 pts and Highsmith goes 6-9, 15 pts, on the road.  I know in the playoffs, the defense focuses on the best players (Butler and Adebayo) and the lesser players end up with better looks but still.  It is crazy what this MIA supporting cast continues to do.
Those are "empty calories". All losing teams score 90-100 ppg. Beyond that, Robinson and Highsmith haven't gotten much PT this series so it was an unfamiliar look for the C's defense at times. That's okay if you continue to contain Bam/Butler as #1 priority.

« Reply #710 on: May 26, 2023, 09:49:47 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Those are "empty calories" Losing teams score 90-100 ppg. Beyond that Robinson and Highsmith haven't gotten much PT this series so it was an unfamiliar look for the C's defense at times. That's okay if you contain Bam/Butler as #1 priority.

Yeah, but at some point Caleb Martin and Robinson have to cool off. Right?? It's insane. If they were shooting like this all season they would have been the 1 seed over MIL/BOS.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #711 on: May 26, 2023, 10:24:40 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • International Superstar
At the end of the day, we avoided the sweep, the Lakers are out of the playoffs - everything else that happens in this series is house money.

From this perspective - yes, it's a house money, but what if we lose? At the end of the day, this won't and shouldn't be a success. We all know what we hoped this team was capable of. And we still hope it is. At least until next game, and maybe next one...#banner 18 8)

We know what this team is capable of - making their way to the NBA Finals by winning a Semifinal series in 7 games and a conference Finals series in 7 games. So far it looks like they could do something similar this season.  :)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #712 on: May 26, 2023, 10:40:44 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

Home court or not won't matter, the C's will find ways to lose their home games.and just make it tough on themselves

Yeah, I'm more concerned about beating these guys 2 more times coming off a game and a half when the 3's were falling. This team falls apart when their shooting is off. Doesn't matter where the next 2 games are being played - it comes down to the C's defense and their shooting. They could play in a high school gym in the middle of nowhere and it would be the same issues. The Heat also have Butler who isn't affected by the environment and when he's on he's the best player on either team.

« Reply #713 on: May 26, 2023, 11:35:53 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Does anyone else think that early tech by Tatum helped get this win? He played a cagey veteran game last night. I loved when he outthought Bam on that mid court foul. That was a very Bird like box score.

« Reply #714 on: May 26, 2023, 11:53:24 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Does anyone else think that early tech by Tatum helped get this win? He played a cagey veteran game last night. I loved when he outthought Bam on that mid court foul. That was a very Bird like box score.

I think it was an extremely weak call, and Love should have at least gotten a matching tech, but I don't think the tech itself was all that helpful.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #715 on: May 26, 2023, 11:58:55 AM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150

Yeah, I'm more concerned about beating these guys 2 more times coming off a game and a half when the 3's were falling. This team falls apart when their shooting is off. Doesn't matter where the next 2 games are being played - it comes down to the C's defense and their shooting. They could play in a high school gym in the middle of nowhere and it would be the same issues. The Heat also have Butler who isn't affected by the environment and when he's on he's the best player on either team.

We really shouldn't be talking about this yet, but I do think home court matters quite a bit with Denver. Denver were 34-7 at home this year and 19-22 away -- now, there are other teams that are like that (Warriors were 33-8 at home and 11-30 away! what the heck? Memphis were 35-6 at home and 16-25 away? What?) but I do think the altitude in Denver matters. If you look historically, they are time and time again a top home team no matter the away record. It's just a pain to get used to playing a mile high in a fast-paced sport. Totally messes with you.

But, again -- the only thing that matters is tomorrow night. If you spend even a moment thinking about the altitude in Denver, your season is over.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #716 on: May 26, 2023, 12:00:04 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

I think it was an extremely weak call, and Love should have at least gotten a matching tech, but I don't think the tech itself was all that helpful.

I actually didn’t like what Tatum did there at all.  One of the problems with game 3 was that they were so focused on the refs early on that it got them out of their game.  Tatum had minimal contact.  I didn’t see anything that warranted him getting that upset.  I did like the attacking mindset though.  What did Kevin Love do? I must’ve missed that

« Reply #717 on: May 26, 2023, 12:16:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I actually didn’t like what Tatum did there at all.  One of the problems with game 3 was that they were so focused on the refs early on that it got them out of their game.  Tatum had minimal contact.  I didn’t see anything that warranted him getting that upset.  I did like the attacking mindset though.  What did Kevin Love do? I must’ve missed that

While Tatum was hanging on the rim, Love pushed him with both hands.  It didn't look particularly hard, but Tatum obviously felt it and it bothered him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #718 on: May 26, 2023, 12:30:01 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
I don't know why anyone is talking about what will happen in Game 7 or worrying about Denver.  I know it is cliche but one game at a time.  Game 6 is going to be tough.  We played a good game 5, better than game 4, and certainly better than games 1-3.  But there was still some sloppy play around the edges in game 5.  Plus, MIA is likely going to play better in game 6.  We are going to need to tick it up a little more in game 6, I think we can.  I don't feel we have played our absolute best yet in this series.

As to game 6, I heard Brown and others state the obvious.  It comes down to how the Celtics play.  If they play at or near their best, I don't think there is anything MIA can do to beat them.  Even Butler scoring 50 or whatever.  The Celtics have zero room for error, stating the obvious again.  Can they keep it up?  Can they force a game 7?  I think they believe they can and no matter what Jimmy Butler says, I think MIA is plenty worried right now.
if miami loses game 6 they might crumble and feel themselves drowning with a millstone around their necks. especially if we can impose our will. there is no worse feeling than watching something slip away slowly and knowing nothing you do can stop it.

yeah if our locker room has momentum and our psyche is in better shape than miami we might have a shot.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #719 on: May 26, 2023, 12:31:05 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

At the contrary, that was a terrible time to get a tech... we were building momentum and it could've backfired greatly. In fact, it almost did but we got a good energy builder possession right after thankfully. Not only that, you're one double tech away from being thrown out of the game. It was dumb.