Author Topic: Hypothetically Speaking  (Read 2589 times)

Hypothetically Speaking
« on: May 24, 2023, 08:05:06 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Let’s say the Celtics win the next three games and do what’s never been fine before, then take of the Nuggets for banner 18…

Do we look back at all the horrible things we’ve said about them over the first 3 games, and pretty much every seemingly unnecessary loss along the way and shake our heads at this team’s maddening flaws?

Or

Do we ignore the unnecessarily steep hill they had to climb and hold them in great reverence for making the greatest comeback in NBA history?

A little if both?

Great comebacks can’t happen without a lot of failure.

Truly a maddening team.

Here’s hoping we get the chance to find out.  They’ve definitely shown an uncanny knack for winning when the chips are down (even if those downward chips were of their own doing). They
Yup

Re: Hypothetically Speaking
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 08:13:09 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I don't think it's common for people to voluntarily admit that they were wrong. My guess is that people will dig in and say that it was championship or bust. Anything else is unacceptable. Pretty wild expectations with a 34 year old Joe as the coach.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 08:19:05 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I mean the things that happen are self inflicted. Fans are prisoners of the moment. But they deserved all the crap they got after the first 3 games.

And they deserve the praise they got after last night.

So it is a little of both.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 08:20:36 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I don't think it's common for people to voluntarily admit that they were wrong. My guess is that people will dig in and say that it was championship or bust. Anything else is unacceptable. Pretty wild expectations with a 34 year old Joe as the coach.

I’m not necessarily expecting it.  But we’ve buried this team before they’ve been dead so many times.  The reason they’re so frustrating is because they’re capable of what we saw last night.  And they tend to well in elimination games.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 08:21:58 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
 If they win the title this year I won’t hold anything against them

Extremely unlikely

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 08:41:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
A title would heal all wounds for me. I just have no faith in Joe being the one to lead us there
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 06:46:00 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
If they win the series, then there is something seriously wrong about basketball.
There is a reason they lose so much, the heat is not only the better team, they are a much better team, we have better players, not a better team, the Cs is not winning this series. People in media try to hype up Cs making history because this is the only thing they can talk about now.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 06:58:55 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
If they win the series, then there is something seriously wrong about basketball.
There is a reason they lose so much, the heat is not only the better team, they are a much better team, we have better players, not a better team, the Cs is not winning this series. People in media try to hype up Cs making history because this is the only thing they can talk about now.
This.

There is no way the Celtics are winning this series.  In an alternate universe, where this is actually a possibility, I would forgive and forget all the pain because a championship trumps everything else.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 07:02:56 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

That's why Joe shouldn't have been named coach—pairing a rookie leader with a contending roster is a bad idea. The expectation were high; the Cs should've selected a coach to match those expectations.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 07:09:58 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Let’s say the Celtics win the next three games and do what’s never been fine before, then take of the Nuggets for banner 18…

Do we look back at all the horrible things we’ve said about them over the first 3 games, and pretty much every seemingly unnecessary loss along the way and shake our heads at this team’s maddening flaws?

Or

Do we ignore the unnecessarily steep hill they had to climb and hold them in great reverence for making the greatest comeback in NBA history?

A little if both?

Great comebacks can’t happen without a lot of failure.

Truly a maddening team.

Here’s hoping we get the chance to find out.  They’ve definitely shown an uncanny knack for winning when the chips are down (even if those downward chips were of their own doing). They
this is celticsstrong.

some people will be happy, others will complain about how it wasn't "good enough and we got lucky", still others will patiently wait to resurrect "FIRE (fill in the blank)" threads, and always there will be those who rejoice but doubt yet remain hopeful.

tl;dr - CS will continue to be CS.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 07:29:43 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Oh don't get me wrong, if they win banner 18 this June then it will be in SPITE of Joe. Not because OF Joe.

We win Banner 18 because of Jayson Tatum, and guys who contribute best on the floor.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2023, 07:56:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It was always about a Title. So if they win, I will be over the moon excited. While other people are getting upset about other Boston sports teams, I am still celebrating the Sox WS in 2018 and Pats SB in 2019. I give a pretty long rope once a team actually wins. And in the case of the Sox and Pats, we really have no room to complain with a combined 10 championships this century.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2023, 08:21:09 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

That's why Joe shouldn't have been named coach—pairing a rookie leader with a contending roster is a bad idea. The expectation were high; the Cs should've selected a coach to match those expectations.

Agreed. Because even Spo lost in his rookie coaching year with an absolutely stacked roster of Lebron Wade Bosh lol
- LilRip

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2023, 08:23:07 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If all that happens it will be in spite of ownerships clear mistakes and I don't think that changes at all.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2023, 08:41:25 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Agreed. Because even Spo lost in his rookie coaching year with an absolutely stacked roster of Lebron Wade Bosh lol

Actually that was his fourth year as coach - he became head coach of the Heat in 2008, after being an assistant to Pat Riley since 1997. But it was his first year coaching the Big Three, and there were all the questions that Joe is facing now - why was Riley entrusting the Heat to a four year neophyte. They didn't think he could handle the egos. They didn't think he had the Xs and Os. Like some here crying for Brad to come back and take over the reins, many wanted Pat Riley to come back and not waste LeBum, Wade and Bosh's primes.  Here's an example of an article from back then:

And that's a guy who had 10 years as an assistant coach, and four years as a head coach. So when you think about Joe, you can think one (or both) of two things: 1) as a rookie head coach with zero NBA experience and not even any major college experience, he's doing ok given the circumstances; and/or 2) how the hell did he get this job? What was Brad thinking? :angel:

The question for Brad now will be - can Joe pull a Spoelstra? Or is he starting from too big a deficit? Can they afford to waste Tatum and Brown's primes, not to mention Al's sunset years, while Joe learns on the job? Riley took that chance on Spoelstra and it paid off. But Erik had more experience than Ime did when he started coaching the Big Three who were in win-now mode. How confident is Brad that Joe's got what it takes for the long haul and can he afford the time?

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D