Author Topic: Cedric Maxwell: After loss players and upper managament exchanged words in Miami  (Read 2188 times)

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Celtics should go out and kick Butlers little azz and dedicate the game to Ime . And give a team finger to the FO

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
If I had to guess, the two players most upset were probably Smartacus and Jaylen, because they were Ime's biggest supporters. They were the ones that were pretty open about saying that they still speak to Ime many times a week. They're also pretty strong willed. So maybe there is a schism in the team with the Joe supporters and the Ime supporters.

"I hope Ime is doing well,” Brown said. “I haven’t talked to him, but I hope he gets another chance coaching again."
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/03/celtics-jaylen-brown-was-shocked-about-ime-udoka-situation-it-was-not-good-vibes.html

Jaylen has said a few times he hasn't kept in touch with Ime.

It must have been Smart that said he spoke to Ime numerous times a week then. Speaking of which, he shot down that Woj report and defended Joe today.

MIAMI — Marcus Smart has been one of the most outspoken members of the Celtics when it came to questioning how the team handled Ime Udoka’s suspension which led to the promotion of Joe Mazzulla as head coach.

In the wake of a Monday report from ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski suggesting that the Celtics never got over the head coach’s removal from the team, Smart shot down that possibility.

“No, no,” Smart said of the report on Tuesday morning at Boston’s shootaround. “Regardless of if Ime was here or not, we’re the ones out there playing. We gotta go out there and play. Joe does a great job of putting us in the right positions. They come up with a game plan. It’s on us. There’s only so much any coach can do for you out there as a player. At some point you gotta look at yourself and figure it out.”

Smart also defended his current coach after Joe Mazzulla took the blame after Boston’s blowout loss in Game 3.

“That’s who Joe is,” Smart said. “He’s a competitor. He wants to be perfect, he wants to do everything right. But it’s not on Joe. Joe can’t go out there and check himself into the game. It’s on us. We appreciate Joe taking it, but everything isn’t on Joe.”

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/05/marcus-smart-shoots-down-report-celtics-never-got-over-ime-udoka-firing.html

Joe puts them in the right position? Smart is lying for the greater good. I appreciate he's not speaking up because that wouldn't do a thing to help them right now.
Still don't believe in Joe.

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
We do this every time the C's get eliminated.

Jaylen and Smart fought, Brown and Tatum hate each other, everybody hates Kyrie, Tatum/Brown resent Hayward, Rozier was unhappy with his role, Morris wanted more shots, did the team betray Isaiah, is trading Kemba a bad look and on and on and on.

Players are human, they aren't always happy. But i don't really think this matters long term.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As we've heard from Woj, the players were upset at Udoka being fired and never got over it. They thought it was a wild overreaction on Stevens and Wyc's part. They weren't worried about Ime not being able to keep it in his pants so they've been upset at the organization for what they did and I guess it's all coming out in their play now.

Here's the Woj segment on ESPN in case anyone still hasn't seen it.

https://twitter.com/JustinmTurpin/status/1660879267348004864?s=20

If I had to guess, the two players most upset were probably Smartacus and Jaylen, because they were Ime's biggest supporters. They were the ones that were pretty open about saying that they still speak to Ime many times a week. They're also pretty strong willed. So maybe there is a schism in the team with the Joe supporters and the Ime supporters.

Remember that JT (at the ASG) said Ime was his favorite coach ever.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Thanks for posting this. I just saw it on Twitter, and posted elsewhere on it without the link.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Ime deal is coming back to haunt them .   I m telling you ,  something stinks in the frt office .when  firing a very popular head coach happens out of no where dragging him though the mud as if the women had no part in his “ crimes “  :-\I called shenanigans then with the FO and I still say it was an outright modern lynching , no pun intended.  :)

They now realize how they were shafted.   Ime kept hs nose clean and did his time ,  and far as I know nobody offered him his job back .    A year of Ime time wasted .  3 months would have been a plenty ….or just right out fire him.  That bunch is dirty .

No, the woman he made unwanted comments to is not responsible for those comments.
I'm bitter.

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
@KevinOConnorNBA on what's led to the Celtics struggles in the Eastern Conference Finals

“I’ve had a source tell me in the past week that this Celtics team feels like a group that’s tired of fake liking each other.”

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1661099044658110464?s=20

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
@KevinOConnorNBA on what's led to the Celtics struggles in the Eastern Conference Finals

“I’ve had a source tell me in the past week that this Celtics team feels like a group that’s tired of fake liking each other.”

Wouldn't shock me in the least if Kevin O'Connor's source is himself talking in a mirror.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

Couldn't they just Fake It for a couple more weeks?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ime deal is coming back to haunt them .   I m telling you ,  something stinks in the frt office .when  firing a very popular head coach happens out of no where dragging him though the mud as if the women had no part in his “ crimes “  :-\I called shenanigans then with the FO and I still say it was an outright modern lynching , no pun intended.  :)

They now realize how they were shafted.   Ime kept hs nose clean and did his time ,  and far as I know nobody offered him his job back .    A year of Ime time wasted .  3 months would have been a plenty ….or just right out fire him.  That bunch is dirty .

No, the woman he made unwanted comments to is not responsible for those comments.

It seems that a lot of people are starting to form opinions about this when no one knows what actually happened.  How can anyone make a judgement as to whether or not Ime was treated fairly?  Or whether ownership made the right decision?  Or what part the woman played in all of this?

I don't know if Ime deserved to be suspended/fired or not, I don't have all the facts.  I speculate, like everyone else.  My speculation is that this came up and the owners confronted Ime and questioned him about it.  And in that initial discussion, Ime lied or was not fully forthcoming.  Then there was other evidence or whatever and the owners realized he wasn't truthful so they suspended him.  This is just reverse engineering though.  Just trying to construct a scenario that would rationalize the actions.  I can't imagine that the owners would get rid of Ime without good reason.  That would be counter to their self interest and their significant financial investment in the team.

There is no doubt that this whole thing did affect the team.  It was not as apparent until recently.  I am not sure that it is anyone's fault in particular.  Ime at a minimum did not follow team rules/policies, and more likely something somewhat worse.  The owners made a tough call, a call that hurt the team, a call some players didn't like or didn't understand.  The players probably don't know all the details either.  The reporting is that this all flared up and players and owners "exchanged words".  Maybe this will clear the air and they can go out and play to their ability tonight.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Sounds like the end of the Lob City LA Clippers.

CP3. B Griffin. Redick. D Jordan. J Crawford. M Barnes.

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

It seems that a lot of people are starting to form opinions about this when no one knows what actually happened.  How can anyone make a judgement as to whether or not Ime was treated fairly?  Or whether ownership made the right decision?  Or what part the woman played in all of this?

I don't know if Ime deserved to be suspended/fired or not, I don't have all the facts.  I speculate, like everyone else.  My speculation is that this came up and the owners confronted Ime and questioned him about it.  And in that initial discussion, Ime lied or was not fully forthcoming.  Then there was other evidence or whatever and the owners realized he wasn't truthful so they suspended him.  This is just reverse engineering though.  Just trying to construct a scenario that would rationalize the actions.  I can't imagine that the owners would get rid of Ime without good reason.  That would be counter to their self interest and their significant financial investment in the team.

There is no doubt that this whole thing did affect the team.  It was not as apparent until recently.  I am not sure that it is anyone's fault in particular.  Ime at a minimum did not follow team rules/policies, and more likely something somewhat worse.  The owners made a tough call, a call that hurt the team, a call some players didn't like or didn't understand.  The players probably don't know all the details either.  The reporting is that this all flared up and players and owners "exchanged words".  Maybe this will clear the air and they can go out and play to their ability tonight.

Ultimately it doesn't, or shouldn't, matter because it's history now. It happened 8 months ago they should have got over it. In fact right after it happened they went on a 21-5 run to start the season. Now that they're on the verge of being eliminated in humiliating fashion shooting 25% from 3 it's being brought up as a reason for their poor play.

If we still have players who can't get over it, then they should be shipped out at the end of the season, because Ime is never coming back and that's that. Maybe they could eventually reunite with Ime in Houston or something.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Sounds like the end of the Lob City LA Clippers.

CP3. B Griffin. Redick. D Jordan. J Crawford. M Barnes.
Good call. Seems to be some toxic splintering here.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Let’s not act like employees of a basketball team should be entitled to a decent workplace at the expense of a bunch of grown men playing a children’s game.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.