Author Topic: Cedric Maxwell: After loss players and upper managament exchanged words in Miami  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
https://985thesportshub.com/listicle/cedric-maxwell-hears-rumors-regarding-game-3-postgame-tension/

Rich: What were these exchanges you said that you heard after the game?

Cedric Maxwell: I just heard that there was just a run-in between people and upper management and with the players. I don’t know any more than that. That’s a rumor that came through, but it didn’t matter about that. But with Wyc and what happened with them, it was more about what the players did on the floor and how they responded.

Rich: Wow, so upper management and the players. You said that there were run-ins between those two that were fairly tough conversations.

Cedric Maxwell: I don’t know. I just heard, just heard. So don’t quote me as ‘That’s what Max said’. No, I didn’t say that. I just heard that people said it was a run-in, that’s all I get out of there. All I say is the focus and the about execution or lack of execution in that game, that was the biggest thing that I took out of that. You know, I did TV that night afterward and it was just hard to do. It was hard for me to look at that camera. At the end of the day, I had a chance just today to see the players and, you know, and just talk to them briefly and talk about the game and, you know, just getting a feel and saying, do you guys could still win this thing. I think that’s what was the biggest point. It was, you know, I’m like, ‘okay, yeah, you lost. you had your ass kicked, but now you have to get up and play. At the end of the day, this is more about courage than anything else. Because the easiest thing this team could do right now is to lay down a rollover and play dead.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 03:00:31 PM by Celtic_Pride777 »

Re: Are the wheels falling off the wagon?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 11:09:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I want to hear reporting / see video about these arguments.  Somebody mentioned Wyc and Joe had words, as well. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 11:15:26 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
These things always come out when the team is self destructing. Hard to believe we were all on a high looking forward to the finals a week ago when JT scored 51 and the garden was rocking and it was the Sixers that we’re dealing with all the questions. One bad quarter in Game 1 started the rot and two games later they’ve collapsed like a cheap suit  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 11:39:55 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Would be interested to learn what “management” means here - Brad, Wyc, Joe?

Not sure how true this is, but there are multiple reports of the Wyc/Joe situation.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 11:41:08 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Things aren't good but hopefully they can reset this summer and get on the same page.

I think some addition by subtraction would not hurt.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 02:11:22 PM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Things aren't good but hopefully they can reset this summer and get on the same page.

I think some addition by subtraction would not hurt.

I agree with that approach. There's too much dysfunction and not enough leadership. I'd trade Smart and Jaylen and surround Tatum with older, more experienced players who can lead the locker room and push Tatum to develop a killer instinct.

I'd love to bring in someone with a championship pedigree like Draymond Green.

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
As we've heard from Woj, the players were upset at Udoka being fired and never got over it. They thought it was a wild overreaction on Stevens and Wyc's part. They weren't worried about Ime not being able to keep it in his pants so they've been upset at the organization for what they did and I guess it's all coming out in their play now.

Here's the Woj segment on ESPN in case anyone still hasn't seen it.

https://twitter.com/JustinmTurpin/status/1660879267348004864?s=20

If I had to guess, the two players most upset were probably Smartacus and Jaylen, because they were Ime's biggest supporters. They were the ones that were pretty open about saying that they still speak to Ime many times a week. They're also pretty strong willed. So maybe there is a schism in the team with the Joe supporters and the Ime supporters.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 02:19:33 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I want to hear reporting / see video about these arguments.  Somebody mentioned Wyc and Joe had words, as well.

I saw the Wyc/Joe exchange and it's been really overblown. First off, it was during the Philly series, late in game 7 with the win in hand. Looks like Wyc said something about getting the starters out after Jaylen got knocked to the ground, Joe turned around and said "I am now" or something like that.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Felger saying on Felger & Mazz that some players really upset about Ime being fired, thought he didn't deserve it, and what he did wasn't a big deal in the overall scheme of things, not worth getting fired over. It is Felger & Mazz so take it with a grain of salt.

I wonder if it's Ime's agent sticking the boot in  :angel:

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Speculation. My least favorite thing - not that I never engage in it.  Many of us were concerned at the start of the season that the Ime situation may eventually come to haunt the Cs. I don’t need to know what he did.  All I need to know is that it was something ownership and management found egregious. Frankly, players don’t have to agree - but that doesn’t mean it won’t impact them.

My thoughts all along have been that this was caused by Ime.  He’s the one I’m most angry with. If Brad and Wyc reacted too strongly that’s a matter of opinion - but had Ime acted like a head coach, a leader, a grown-up, we never would have experienced the Joe Mazzulla experiment. OK - bad replacement choice, I get that. But  as far as I’m concerned, the cause of the Celtics troubles this season was Ime Udoka. And the likely source of whatever is brewing now is Ime Udoka.  The solution is some open conversation internally (I assume attempts at this have happened), and a reset.  New coach, new approach, a few new faces, new start. 

Feels like it would take a miracle for them to win tonight.  But I sure would like that.

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If I had to guess, the two players most upset were probably Smartacus and Jaylen, because they were Ime's biggest supporters. They were the ones that were pretty open about saying that they still speak to Ime many times a week. They're also pretty strong willed. So maybe there is a schism in the team with the Joe supporters and the Ime supporters.

"I hope Ime is doing well,” Brown said. “I haven’t talked to him, but I hope he gets another chance coaching again."
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/03/celtics-jaylen-brown-was-shocked-about-ime-udoka-situation-it-was-not-good-vibes.html

Jaylen has said a few times he hasn't kept in touch with Ime.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Ime deal is coming back to haunt them .   I m telling you ,  something stinks in the frt office .when  firing a very popular head coach happens out of no where dragging him though the mud as if the women had no part in his “ crimes “  :-\I called shenanigans then with the FO and I still say it was an outright modern lynching , no pun intended.  :)

They now realize how they were shafted.   Ime kept hs nose clean and did his time ,  and far as I know nobody offered him his job back .    A year of Ime time wasted .  3 months would have been a plenty ….or just right out fire him.  That bunch is dirty .

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'm still looking for the audio, but Max apparently said on 98.5 that the players and management had a confrontation in Miami and tense words were exchanged.

My guess is one of the players is Jaylen Brown. Gary Washburn observed him "biting his tongue from telling his truth. You can tell he has a lot on his mind." Gary obviously knows something but can't share it. (I hate when journalists do that) 

Winning cures everything. I'm convinced if they win tonight's game and push the series to six games, it will help ease tensions. But if they play badly and are swept, I think these problems will linger in the offseason.

Cedric Maxwell on 98.5? I trust the source 0%.

Even if true.... who cares? When you are getting swept people have feelings. You move on.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'm still looking for the audio, but Max apparently said on 98.5 that the players and management had a confrontation in Miami and tense words were exchanged.

My guess is one of the players is Jaylen Brown. Gary Washburn observed him "biting his tongue from telling his truth. You can tell he has a lot on his mind." Gary obviously knows something but can't share it. (I hate when journalists do that) 

Winning cures everything. I'm convinced if they win tonight's game and push the series to six games, it will help ease tensions. But if they play badly and are swept, I think these problems will linger in the offseason.

Cedric Maxwell on 98.5? I trust the source 0%.

Even if true.... who cares? When you are getting swept people have feelings. You move on.

The players probably care .

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

"I hope Ime is doing well,” Brown said. “I haven’t talked to him, but I hope he gets another chance coaching again."
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/03/celtics-jaylen-brown-was-shocked-about-ime-udoka-situation-it-was-not-good-vibes.html

Jaylen has said a few times he hasn't kept in touch with Ime.

It must have been Smart that said he spoke to Ime numerous times a week then. Speaking of which, he shot down that Woj report and defended Joe today.

MIAMI — Marcus Smart has been one of the most outspoken members of the Celtics when it came to questioning how the team handled Ime Udoka’s suspension which led to the promotion of Joe Mazzulla as head coach.

In the wake of a Monday report from ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski suggesting that the Celtics never got over the head coach’s removal from the team, Smart shot down that possibility.

“No, no,” Smart said of the report on Tuesday morning at Boston’s shootaround. “Regardless of if Ime was here or not, we’re the ones out there playing. We gotta go out there and play. Joe does a great job of putting us in the right positions. They come up with a game plan. It’s on us. There’s only so much any coach can do for you out there as a player. At some point you gotta look at yourself and figure it out.”

Smart also defended his current coach after Joe Mazzulla took the blame after Boston’s blowout loss in Game 3.

“That’s who Joe is,” Smart said. “He’s a competitor. He wants to be perfect, he wants to do everything right. But it’s not on Joe. Joe can’t go out there and check himself into the game. It’s on us. We appreciate Joe taking it, but everything isn’t on Joe.”

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/05/marcus-smart-shoots-down-report-celtics-never-got-over-ime-udoka-firing.html