Author Topic: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas  (Read 34634 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas
« Reply #210 on: June 09, 2023, 11:05:25 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
So here's an interesting thought experiment - kicked off solely on the fact that his personal life seems to be leaking all over the place, his team might want to move on, and the trade technically works as a 1:1 swap - what about Brown for Williamson?

Let's also assume for sake of argument that Zion is not inescapably trending toward eating his way out of the league on the Dwight Howard diet.

It's an offer that would at least take a few moments to think about, but ultimately, I'm not taking that risk.  Zion looks more like an NFL DT than he does a basketball player, and he's got chronic injury issues.  I've never bought into the "next Lebron" hype, though.

He may very well but up an MVP season in his career, but he's also going to have a lot of years where he misses 40+ games.

To clarify on Zion, he has career averages of 25.8 pts, 60.5% FG%, 34.3 3P%, 7.0 rebs, 3.6 assists 2.9 TO, in 114 games.  That is really good for a 22 year old.  A potential first team all-NBA big who can do it all.  That best possible version of Zion is more valuable than Brown.  And would be a better complement to Tatum.  Unfortunately that is only 114 games out of a total of 246 games.  Only 46% of games.  There is a huge risk with his durability.  Trading Brown for him would be a huge risk that the Celtics just don't need to take.  And it would not make any sense for NOP to sell low on him right now.  They need to get him back on the court and see what they have with him.  They could be a really good team, just as they are.

There are a million reasons why New Orleans would never go for this trade, but that's true of pretty much every trade proposed on any message board ever. Presuming the Pelicans did agree to a 1:1 swap, how do you feel about it? Do you swap Brown's even-keeled performance for the highs and lows of putting Williamson on the squad?

I thought I was pretty clear.  No.  Too much risk.  The Celtics don't need to take that kind of risk.  Some other team may be in a place where they have more appetite for that kind of risk but it makes no sense for the Celtics to take that risk.

You were clear enough, I was just illustrating that 'this trade is unrealistic for one team' is a bit of gossamer logic when evaluating an idea that is pitched as unrealistic from the outset. :)

Do we think removing Brown from the team keeps the Celtics from making it back to the ECF? Because that's the worst case scenario, right? Williams is hurt and we have no Brown.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #211 on: June 09, 2023, 12:08:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
So here's an interesting thought experiment - kicked off solely on the fact that his personal life seems to be leaking all over the place, his team might want to move on, and the trade technically works as a 1:1 swap - what about Brown for Williamson?

Let's also assume for sake of argument that Zion is not inescapably trending toward eating his way out of the league on the Dwight Howard diet.

It's an offer that would at least take a few moments to think about, but ultimately, I'm not taking that risk.  Zion looks more like an NFL DT than he does a basketball player, and he's got chronic injury issues.  I've never bought into the "next Lebron" hype, though.

He may very well but up an MVP season in his career, but he's also going to have a lot of years where he misses 40+ games.

To clarify on Zion, he has career averages of 25.8 pts, 60.5% FG%, 34.3 3P%, 7.0 rebs, 3.6 assists 2.9 TO, in 114 games.  That is really good for a 22 year old.  A potential first team all-NBA big who can do it all.  That best possible version of Zion is more valuable than Brown.  And would be a better complement to Tatum.  Unfortunately that is only 114 games out of a total of 246 games.  Only 46% of games.  There is a huge risk with his durability.  Trading Brown for him would be a huge risk that the Celtics just don't need to take.  And it would not make any sense for NOP to sell low on him right now.  They need to get him back on the court and see what they have with him.  They could be a really good team, just as they are.

There are a million reasons why New Orleans would never go for this trade, but that's true of pretty much every trade proposed on any message board ever. Presuming the Pelicans did agree to a 1:1 swap, how do you feel about it? Do you swap Brown's even-keeled performance for the highs and lows of putting Williamson on the squad?

I thought I was pretty clear.  No.  Too much risk.  The Celtics don't need to take that kind of risk.  Some other team may be in a place where they have more appetite for that kind of risk but it makes no sense for the Celtics to take that risk.

You were clear enough, I was just illustrating that 'this trade is unrealistic for one team' is a bit of gossamer logic when evaluating an idea that is pitched as unrealistic from the outset. :)

Do we think removing Brown from the team keeps the Celtics from making it back to the ECF? Because that's the worst case scenario, right? Williams is hurt and we have no Brown.
I do actually think Boston could have made the ECF this year if you just took Brown off the team given the matchups.  I think they'd still beat Atlanta and probably Philly.   Heck who knows, maybe they beat Miami and are back in the Finals.  Next year will obviously be a whole bunch of differences on teams, but I don't think it is a given that no Brown and Boston isn't in the same place or further. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #212 on: June 09, 2023, 01:07:39 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
If we could move Brown for Gobert & Collins  & T Young I might be open to that.    Paolo and Iassc would be fun! 

Diggles

« Reply #213 on: June 09, 2023, 01:36:57 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Sorry, but you seem to be trying to get at something and I am not following.  Plus, I don't know what gossamer logic is.

My point is related to risk.  The Celtics are a team that if they stand pat or make minor changes, have a good chance to be a finals contender next season and for several seasons after that.  If they trade Brown for Zion, best case is that he stays healthy and maybe the team is a little better, maybe not even.  Worst case is that Zion eats himself out of the NBA and never helps the team at all.  The most probably outcome is that Zion is good sometimes, but continues to miss major chunks of the season due to injury.

So do you do a trade that at best could make you a little better maybe but more likely actually makes you worse?  The Celtics are already a finals contender.  There is no reason to make such a risky trade.

« Reply #214 on: June 09, 2023, 01:43:47 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
How about Brown for KAT and Slo Mo? I feel like Slo Mo would fit really well here because the C’s generally like their do-it-all players. And yeah, it really becomes Tatum’s team. No more 1A 1B. KAT will fall in line behind Tatum, and hopefully maximize his impact on the court

That trade doesn't work as the Celtics would be taking back $13.4M more in salary.  We would have to send out Pritchard and Muscala or some other combination of offsetting salary.

Still a potentially workable deal.  I like the deal for the Celtics (even though it still adds $5.8M in salary) but not sure MIN would do it.

Yeah, I meant to say Brown + filler. I mean, Pritchard is cool and all but he’s not a must-have rotation player for us. So it’s a lot easier to “throw in” guys who weren’t in our regular rotation.

And Minnesota would do it because they want to move on from KAT, and that KAT has (allegedly) low perceived value. He’s still good, but he’s not as good as a 2nd all-NBA teamer who many in the league probably view as a potential franchise player or close to it. Brown-Edwards-Gobert seems like a more viable trio than Edwards-KAT-Gobert.
- LilRip

« Reply #215 on: June 09, 2023, 02:15:26 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
How about Brown for KAT and Slo Mo? I feel like Slo Mo would fit really well here because the C’s generally like their do-it-all players. And yeah, it really becomes Tatum’s team. No more 1A 1B. KAT will fall in line behind Tatum, and hopefully maximize his impact on the court

That trade doesn't work as the Celtics would be taking back $13.4M more in salary.  We would have to send out Pritchard and Muscala or some other combination of offsetting salary.

Still a potentially workable deal.  I like the deal for the Celtics (even though it still adds $5.8M in salary) but not sure MIN would do it.

Yeah, I meant to say Brown + filler. I mean, Pritchard is cool and all but he’s not a must-have rotation player for us. So it’s a lot easier to “throw in” guys who weren’t in our regular rotation.

And Minnesota would do it because they want to move on from KAT, and that KAT has (allegedly) low perceived value. He’s still good, but he’s not as good as a 2nd all-NBA teamer who many in the league probably view as a potential franchise player or close to it. Brown-Edwards-Gobert seems like a more viable trio than Edwards-KAT-Gobert.

If MIN would do this trade because they want to move on from Towns (I will take your word for that), then yes, if this is the deal:

Brown + Pritchard + Muscala
for
Towns + Kyle Anderson

I probably do that deal.  There is definitely some risk with Towns but he is an All-NBA level big, or at least has been and could be in the future.  Anderson is a versatile back up wing.  This checks off two huge team needs.

Towns in 2021-22 (a relatively full season for him), he was about 25 pts/10 rebs with 41% 3P% and 53% FG%.  He lead the team in blocks with 1.1 per game.  Had the best +/- on the team (+3.7) and the best net rating.  This season, he only played 29 games due to injuries and personal issues.  His defensive rating has not been good either season although this season, his is better than Gorbert's.

I get the concern over defense and durability but what I like about Towns is how he would diversify our offense.  Brown and Tatum score more or less in the same ways.  Towns would give us more ways to score.  I think Towns can play good enough defense.  Look at Denver with Jokic.  Individual defense is hard to quantify.  Maybe his defense is worse than I think.

« Reply #216 on: June 09, 2023, 02:24:09 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The trade proposal I'm hearing is Anfernee Simmons plus the Blazer's #3 overall pick for Jaylen Brown.

Is that enough or hard pass?

article:  https://clutchpoints.com/blazers-perfect-jaylen-brown-trade-offer-portland-damian-lillard

« Reply #217 on: June 09, 2023, 02:38:42 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
The trade proposal I'm hearing is Anfernee Simmons plus the Blazer's #3 overall pick for Jaylen Brown.

article:  https://clutchpoints.com/blazers-perfect-jaylen-brown-trade-offer-portland-damian-lillard

The article goes on to say that POR would add one or two players to this:

Finally, the Celtics would probably ask for one or two more players. The Blazers could work this out, but since we are making the perfect trade, perhaps Nassir Little would be a quality fit for the Celtics.

So is it:

Simons, Little, #3
for
Brown

That is quite a haul for Brown.  I would want to flip the #3 pick for a veteran but not sure how we do that.  Not sure how realistic this "idea" is.

« Reply #218 on: June 09, 2023, 03:17:45 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Sorry, but you seem to be trying to get at something and I am not following.  Plus, I don't know what gossamer logic is.

My point is related to risk.  The Celtics are a team that if they stand pat or make minor changes, have a good chance to be a finals contender next season and for several seasons after that.  If they trade Brown for Zion, best case is that he stays healthy and maybe the team is a little better, maybe not even.  Worst case is that Zion eats himself out of the NBA and never helps the team at all.  The most probably outcome is that Zion is good sometimes, but continues to miss major chunks of the season due to injury.

So do you do a trade that at best could make you a little better maybe but more likely actually makes you worse?  The Celtics are already a finals contender.  There is no reason to make such a risky trade.

I agree on the risk, but by saying that Zion could make us a little better is vastly underrating him as a player. Despite his age, inexperience and injuries Zion has shown that he's an incredible talent who has an enormous impact on the court. Without the injury history we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The best case scenario would be having two MVP-level players for years to come! Unfortunately the injury risks are so major that I agree with you on not taking that.

« Reply #219 on: June 09, 2023, 03:19:47 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I guess it depends. Are people okay lowering your chances of winning the title, maybe significantly, in the next two years on the tehoeyr that MAYBE you increase it years 3-6? Because i think Scoot could be good, even very good, but 19 year old PG's usually take a couple years until they actually contribute to winning.

« Reply #220 on: June 09, 2023, 03:44:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

The article goes on to say that POR would add one or two players to this:

Finally, the Celtics would probably ask for one or two more players. The Blazers could work this out, but since we are making the perfect trade, perhaps Nassir Little would be a quality fit for the Celtics.

So is it:

Simons, Little, #3
for
Brown

That is quite a haul for Brown.  I would want to flip the #3 pick for a veteran but not sure how we do that.  Not sure how realistic this "idea" is.
I mean on the prior page of the thread I posted this

Boston - Siakam, Simons
Portland - Brown
Toronto - Smart, Gallinari, Little, #3

I'd do that.  Don't think I'd do it without a destination for 3 that brings a win now talent like Siakam.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #221 on: June 09, 2023, 04:06:06 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414

Pass..picks are a gamble plus u know what u got in Brown, also u can get a better package..don’t need Simons, Smart, Brogdan & White all In backcourt
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #222 on: June 09, 2023, 04:15:49 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

If MIN would do this trade because they want to move on from Towns (I will take your word for that), then yes, if this is the deal:

for
Towns + Kyle Anderson

I probably do that deal.  There is definitely some risk with Towns but he is an All-NBA level big, or at least has been and could be in the future.  Anderson is a versatile back up wing.  This checks off two huge team needs.

Towns in 2021-22 (a relatively full season for him), he was about 25 pts/10 rebs with 41% 3P% and 53% FG%.  He lead the team in blocks with 1.1 per game.  Had the best +/- on the team (+3.7) and the best net rating.  This season, he only played 29 games due to injuries and personal issues.  His defensive rating has not been good either season although this season, his is better than Gorbert's.

I get the concern over defense and durability but what I like about Towns is how he would diversify our offense.  Brown and Tatum score more or less in the same ways.  Towns would give us more ways to score.  I think Towns can play good enough defense.  Look at Denver with Jokic.  Individual defense is hard to quantify.  Maybe his defense is worse than I think.

That's a great deal. I'd take that. A week ago I saw a lot of posters say Brown wouldn't have value on an extending contract, but nonetheless I see proposals with big names as Lillard, Towns, Zion, Jackson Jr, #3 pick, Morant, Siakam, Randle, LaVine, Ayton and Anunoby.

Perhaps not all of these proposals are great or realistic, but lots of people seem to think that there's a market for Brown.

« Reply #223 on: June 09, 2023, 05:24:42 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

for
Towns + Kyle Anderson

That's a great deal. I'd take that. A week ago I saw a lot of posters say Brown wouldn't have value on an extending contract, but nonetheless I see proposals with big names as Lillard, Towns, Zion, Jackson Jr, #3 pick, Morant, Siakam, Randle, LaVine, Ayton and Anunoby.

Perhaps not all of these proposals are great or realistic, but lots of people seem to think that there's a market for Brown.

A lot of people are wrong. I think most people just look at the name, think "these are similar level players" and propose a trade, but thats not how it works in reality.

Look, MIN isn't doing a KAT for Brown trade. KAT is under team control for 5 years, Brown for 1, isn't extending with them due to CBA rules and is a huge flight risk. Also KAT is a soft, weak defensive center. No for the C's, no for Min.

Lillard same problem. POR isn't trading him for an expiring guy who has a zero% chance of re-signing for their rebuild.

Morant same problem. Under team control for five years at the 25% max. Brown is an expiring. Not happening, also why would we do that when for a guy going through the stuff Morant is now?

Brown is a better player than Randle, Lavine, Ayton, Anunoby so not sure why the C's do any of those moves other than "top shake it up." Not sure why they'd want to wait for some 19 year old to develop with the #3 pick either, they are trying to win now.

Siakam is maybe the only one that makes any sense, at all. Similar level of player, also an expiring. But ultimately it seems like the kind of situation where its probably just safer for Boston to offer Brown the 35% max. They don't have that same leverage with Siakam, so he's more of a flight risk. But TOR has the same re-signing Brown issue that everyone else does. And if the swap is Siakam for Brown how much better is TOR? Better enough that Brown re-signs? That's a huge risk for them as well. All for a sort of lateral move.

I will throw on the caveat that all it takes is ONE GM to believe that they can get Brown to re-sign after the seaosn. Its just hard to see where the fit is. If somebody wants to blow you away of course the c's consider it, but Siakam for Brown isn't a blow you away level move.

« Reply #224 on: June 09, 2023, 05:35:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Lot of wasted time and breathe ,  personally I’m not sure what Brad should do , and I have no idea who he could get better ,  and Tatum wants to win now . 

I read or heard somewhere on a sports show , Brad has already said he has no intention of trading Brown. .

I believe this .