Author Topic: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas  (Read 33781 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2023, 08:15:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Trade Wyc

Keep Brown Santa

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2023, 08:16:45 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Celtics: Giddey, 2023 12th Pick, 2024 Clippers 1st

Thunder: Brown

—————————

Obviously OKC need a handshake agreement that Brown will re-sign long term.

Gildress-Alexander, (Jalen) Williams, Brown & Holmgren, is a great starting point for reestablishing themselves as a contender.

———

Boston Celtics

White
Giddey
Tatum
Horford
Williams III

How good do you think Giddey is & can be?

He doesn't seem good enough to me to be worth Jaylen. No jump-shot. Questionable scoring ability. Is he a star talent or a multi-purpose role player?

OP I think forgot we have to come closer In salaries. Something like this would work.

Brown for Giddey, Poku, and Lou Dort would work. However we would need to really fleece Okc in firsts rounders for me to consider this package.

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2023, 08:29:53 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I would trade JB and Smart for Sacramento’s DFox
The guy is clutch!

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2023, 10:59:30 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
In fairness, the reasoning here gets a little circular. Jaylen Brown wouldn't try to kill a deal because the c's aren't offering him the supermax anyway, yet..... if he did manage to kill any deal and cool his trade market and the c's can't trade him their best move is probably to offer him the supermax. You see the inherent problem there? You can't REALLY take the supermax off the table for him because if you can't find a deal for him you kind of have to give him the supermax or risk losing him for nothing. He has SOME control here.

But i think its kind of moot, because I don't think there's really any chance he's turning down the 35% max, nobody does. And I think the c's are almost certainly offering it, because they campaigned for him to make all-nba pretty hard and they knew what that would mean. There just arent many if any deals that make sense without Jaylen Brown under long term contract.

I agree that Brown isn't likely to turn down the supermax extension (and thanks for the detailed numbers above).  But I think there is a chance that the Celtics decide he is not worth a supermax extension.  Do they really want both Tatum and Brown on the payroll at those numbers?  So if they offer a still really good contract, say in line with "just" a max contract, which honestly is more in line with what he is really worth and would at best be his market value if he does not get a super max from the Celtics, that is when things could get dicey.  If he refuses a "just max" offer and says he wants to test the market (where at best he can get about the same deal), then trading him is on the table.  And I think if they decide they would rather trade him than pay the supermax, they can find a good trade.  Whoever gets him will still be able to offer the most and will have an advantage in resigning him.

I know everyone (including me) have been kind of assuming that the Celtics will offer the supermax.  But I think things have changed.  A team with Tatum and Brown both on supermax deals will always be good but based on what we are seeing, maybe not good enough.  Are we better off with a team with say Siakam and Anunoby over Brown or some other little bit lesser "Robin" and a better, more balanced supporting cast.  Again, I think the lens on this will be refocused based on this playoff run.

So here's where we disagree. I think there's pretty close to a 100% chance the c's will offer him the 35% max.

The question here isn't "is Jaylen worth the supermax." That's the wrong way to look at it. The question is "Would you rather have Jaylen Brown on a supermax or trade him for pennies (nickels? dimes?) on the dollar because he's on an expiring that can't really be extended." Because those are your two options. If he's only on a one year deal you in all likelihood WILL NOT find a good deal for him, or at least not one that's fair value. If they had no choice maybe they do that kind of deal, but they do have a choice. Sign him, be really good next year, trade him when he has more value (or keep him and be good because he's an all-nba level guy).

Well, if the answer to the question "is Jaylen worth the supermax" is NO. Then what value do you think Jaylen would bring on the trade market on a supermax contract?

Then it's the choice between stubbornly hanging on Brown no matter what or take back at least one bad contract, because no team is going to trade a star who's actually worthy of a supermax for Brown on a supermax. Simply because that would typically be franchise players, which Brown clearly is not.

A simple hypothetical example to make this clear. In this series Adebayo is showing that he's incredibly valuable to the Heat. Brown plays a different position, but overall they share similarities, age, accolades, second option etc. However as soon as Adebayo signs a 55M+ contract no team is going to want to trade for him (unless it's to dispose a worse contract like Simmons or Poole).

You make it like we should make a choice about Brown after signing to a supermax contract, but I think then the choice is effectively already made.

And by the way I think his current market won't be that bad. He just made an All-NBA team which he may never repeat. And there are always teams who look for a quick short term improvement to make a swing for contention.

I don't think he's worth it in the sense that only like 6-8 guys are worth it. But there's a limited number all star/all nba players in the NBA, there's even fewer who arent a complete liabilioty on defense, and even FEWER who play the wing.

I think Jaylen Brown, locked in on a 5 year supermax, would have A LOT of value unless he like blows out his knee next year.

I just think its kind of crazy to think teams would value a guy with no loyalty to their franchise who isn't going to sign an extension and is in his walk year more than a guy under contract. And its not like we're talking about a 35 year old. The supermax runs through his age 28-32 seaosns, in other words his prime.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 11:05:52 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2023, 05:30:51 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
A very simple one that I've seen is Mitchell for Brown. Makes sense.

I'd do Mitchell+Okoro for Brown+Smart.

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2023, 05:36:55 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

Honest question - how does this make the Celtics better?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2023, 05:38:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Not sure if Brown would be very impressed by a Cavaliers team that just traded one of his best friends
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2023, 05:44:22 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

Mitchell is much more reliable as a shot creator. And though also selfish he's a better passer. To me Mitchell is a much better player. But even if you don't agree. His contract in comparison with Brown will be much cheaper after next year.

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2023, 05:49:17 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

Mitchell is much more reliable as a shot creator. And though also selfish he's a better passer. To me Mitchell is a much better player. But even if you don't agree. His contract in comparison with Brown will be much cheaper after next year.
I don't have strong feelings either way with regard to Mitchell or Brown, but I would hazard a guess that Mitchell's defensive acumen (or lack thereof) probably evens out with Brown's lack of passing ability, since they score about the same.

The question has more to do with Okoro v. Smart, to be honest, since I'm much higher on Marcus than Jaylen.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2023, 06:21:31 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2023, 06:28:30 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

I don't have strong feelings either way with regard to Mitchell or Brown, but I would hazard a guess that Mitchell's defensive acumen (or lack thereof) probably evens out with Brown's lack of passing ability, since they score about the same.

The question has more to do with Okoro v. Smart, to be honest, since I'm much higher on Marcus than Jaylen.

Interesting take. To me White is our current best guard who should always start. If we trade for Mitchell that means Smart becomes a bench player which he won't accept. And we could use a wing (Okoro has improved every year) if we trade Brown.

How about a double trade? I think it favours us too much to be realistic.
What do you think?

To Boston: Mitchell, Anunoby
To Cavaliers: Brown
To Toronto: Smart

New starters next season: White/Mitchell/Tatum/Anunoby/Williams (needs more shooting I guess)

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2023, 07:27:19 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
I found something interesting. I researched Bradley Beal as a trade target (+#8) and how much he is overpaid. I started Listing some top players who might deserve a Supermax contract or close to it. One of the names I came across was Devin Bookers. From the eyetest they already look similar, but I wanted to see how close they are numbers wise and I found out they are basically identical… https://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/bradley_beal_vs_devin_booker.htm

would you guys trade Jaylen brown for Devin Booker and #8? Probably. Now how much better do you think Booker is than Beal? 

:)
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2023, 08:44:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Booker is a lot better than Beal right now.  A LOT.  It would probably be Brown and 8 for Booker not the other way.  Booker is a couple tiers up from Brown.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2023, 09:01:55 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2023, 10:28:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
From Bleacher Report:

Boston Celtiсs reсeive: Mikаl Bridɡes, Royсe O’Neаle, аnd tһe No. 21 piсk (viа Pһoenix)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes