Author Topic: Woj: "This locker room never got over Ime Udoka's dismissal as head coach"  (Read 4459 times)

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Joe absolutely needs an older mentor like that coach on the Heat has had since the start(old man Riley is a great mentor for sure). That was the biggest mistake this year, no elder, seasoned coach on the staff or even in the upper management. Danny is gone and could have helped for sure with that. Brad is not an elder or seasoned but was a good coach.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Per yahoo:

Don't expect Joe to be fired. Expect a vet coach to be brought in as an assistant:

"The sentiment around Boston as recently as last week’s NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, sources said, was that the Celtics would afford Mazzulla, 34, quite a bit of runway to grow into an elevated role on the team’s sideline. Stevens himself was 36 when Danny Ainge anointed the former Butler head coach as Boston’s steward, to the tune of a six-year contract that awarded Stevens all the support and opportunity to develop. If the Celtics suddenly reversed course on Mazzulla, it would be a stark change of direction from the franchise’s original intent to allow Mazzulla similar time to flourish in the position, sources said, even considering Boston’s contending roster as opposed to the rebuild Stevens once inherited."

"A nearing conclusion to the Celtics’ season should prompt at least some level of coaching change. Boston has been connected to two former head coaches in Frank Vogel and Stephen Silas as veteran additions to its staff, sources told Yahoo Sports. "

The vet coach should have been brought in day 1 with Joe. Just an abject failure by Wyc and Brad through this whole thing.

I don't know why this franchise is so infatuated with young rookie coaches with no NBA background. LOL

They think young bloods can take them to places or to save up cost. Well, in the NBA, you need lots of experiences esp if you're a contending team. Don't mess around hiring an inexperienced rookie coach to coach a team that just came off of an NBA finals loss.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline terra haute

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
He is 100% right. I could detect some negative reaction from the start , they were truly blind sided , slammed  with the news , damage done before they could process it all.  After all most are just now grow up , never held other jobs, and not wise in the ways of sneaky corporate offices. Played like a fiddle, told Ime was  an evil criminal  and had to go. While dozen teams were laughing and chopping at the bit to hire Ime. Watch as Houston builds back quickly. 

Corporate Punishment handed out like this team is based in Iran or Saudi Arabia. 

An easy going group they unfortunately put up too little resistance.  They should had a strike or shut down . After all Frt office was basically destroyed their season with a revenge punishment , not a punishment that fitted the perceived awful crime.  During season they made do without a proper coach, off what Ime had . Joe was a joke to be blunt.  Celtics made a spin to act like he was special , let’s give him the jo,  why offer it back to Ime ? He turned out to be a stooge . Players knew , but managed to keep their mouths shut
The good assistants were stolen away ….ones that should have been used . Thanks DA you scumbag .

But when the real tuff games against in playoffs where everything is for keeps and every little advantage makes a huge difference.  Players saw they were basically coached by a nobody who had no business as a nba head coach ,  maybe HS level ball . How far could they go with such a coaching disadvantage? 

Those idiots that own the Celtics should have turned the club back over to Ime after 1-3 months at most .

Now …players see how bad situation they were put in and are mad.

For all the money they make I think these players are naive to the real world much more so than players in the 80's as to the world. The coaching thing was destined to be a mess. We thought it got off to a good start but we are seeing what we really thought would happen to the season from the start

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
He is 100% right. I could detect some negative reaction from the start , they were truly blind sided , slammed  with the news , damage done before they could process it all.  After all most are just now grow up , never held other jobs, and not wise in the ways of sneaky corporate offices. Played like a fiddle, told Ime was  an evil criminal  and had to go. While dozen teams were laughing and chopping at the bit to hire Ime. Watch as Houston builds back quickly. 

Corporate Punishment handed out like this team is based in Iran or Saudi Arabia. 

An easy going group they unfortunately put up too little resistance.  They should had a strike or shut down . After all Frt office was basically destroyed their season with a revenge punishment , not a punishment that fitted the perceived awful crime.  During season they made do without a proper coach, off what Ime had . Joe was a joke to be blunt.  Celtics made a spin to act like he was special , let’s give him the jo,  why offer it back to Ime ? He turned out to be a stooge . Players knew , but managed to keep their mouths shut
The good assistants were stolen away ….ones that should have been used . Thanks DA you scumbag .

But when the real tuff games against in playoffs where everything is for keeps and every little advantage makes a huge difference.  Players saw they were basically coached by a nobody who had no business as a nba head coach ,  maybe HS level ball . How far could they go with such a coaching disadvantage? 

Those idiots that own the Celtics should have turned the club back over to Ime after 1-3 months at most .

Now …players see how bad situation they were put in and are mad.

You mean the news that was probably leaked by Ime's camp? Also you keep focusing on the affair when it was the alleged harassment that was the breaking point.

And you've seen how the league has come down on organizations who take the long view on these types of cases. Sorry, but no... this is all on Ime.

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The regular season was a success primarily because of the talent level on this team. The Celtics have some bad habits that stretch back multiple years, but that didn't show up as much or in as pronounced a fashion during the regular season, because they weren't playing good teams every game, and their talent was often able to simply outgun the competition on offense. But now, in the playoffs, they're facing a really good team every game, the Cs can't just mask their mistakes and bad habits, and the heat (pun not intended) of the playoff crucible is sending all the crap bubbling to the surface.

Because of all of this, I think it's basically a bad idea to have a young, inexperienced head coach, because now he's gotta catch up to the experience level of the players, which could take several years, and that might be too long.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Marcus Smart is pushing back against the ESPN report that the Celtics players “never got over” the suspension — and later dismissal — of head coach Ime Udoka.

“No, no,” Smart said of the report Tuesday morning, per CLNS Media video. “Regardless of if Ime was here or not, we’re the ones out there playing. We gotta go out there and play. Joe does a great job of putting us in the right positions.

“They come up with a game plan. It’s on us. There’s only so much any coach can do for you out there as a player. At some point you gotta look at yourself and figure it out.”

Following a blowout loss to the Heat in Game 3 on Sunday night, Mazzulla took most of the blame for Boston’s lackluster showing at Kaseya Center.

“I just didn’t have them ready to play,” Mazzulla said. “I just didn’t have them execute the proper game plan. I didn’t put them in the right mentality to be ready. It’s my job to make sure that they’re connected and ready to play and I didn’t do that.”

Smart was not surprised that Mazzulla tried to place most of the blame on himself following the Celtics’ lopsided defeat. But much like his comments regarding Udoka, Smart reiterated that the players on the court are the ones responsible for Boston’s current predicament.

“That’s who Joe is,” Smart said. “He’s a competitor. He wants to be perfect, he wants to do everything right. But it’s not on Joe. Joe can’t go out there and check himself into the game. It’s on us. We appreciate Joe taking it, but everything isn’t on Joe.”
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Per yahoo:

Don't expect Joe to be fired. Expect a vet coach to be brought in as an assistant:

"The sentiment around Boston as recently as last week’s NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, sources said, was that the Celtics would afford Mazzulla, 34, quite a bit of runway to grow into an elevated role on the team’s sideline. Stevens himself was 36 when Danny Ainge anointed the former Butler head coach as Boston’s steward, to the tune of a six-year contract that awarded Stevens all the support and opportunity to develop. If the Celtics suddenly reversed course on Mazzulla, it would be a stark change of direction from the franchise’s original intent to allow Mazzulla similar time to flourish in the position, sources said, even considering Boston’s contending roster as opposed to the rebuild Stevens once inherited."

"A nearing conclusion to the Celtics’ season should prompt at least some level of coaching change. Boston has been connected to two former head coaches in Frank Vogel and Stephen Silas as veteran additions to its staff, sources told Yahoo Sports. "

The vet coach should have been brought in day 1 with Joe. Just an abject failure by Wyc and Brad through this whole thing.

I’m ok with this. It’s unfortunate that we have a championship roster with a rookie coach. It’s like having a championship coach with a rookie star player. Even harder to win a ring, despite how talented the rookie is.

The team needs help on the sideline.
- LilRip

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
mispost
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Per yahoo:

I’m ok with this. It’s unfortunate that we have a championship roster with a rookie coach. It’s like having a championship coach with a rookie star player. Even harder to win a ring, despite how talented the rookie is.

The team needs help on the sideline.

I read that report too.

Given they list Vogel as a potential assistant candidate tells me their ‘sources’ are baseless.

Vogel has won an NBA title as a head coach, yet he’d be interested in becoming an assistant to a guy whose only achievement is coaching Fairmont State for two seasons???

Even Stephen Silas, what could he teach Mazzulla? His Houston team was atrocious.

Mazzulla will be let go. The only reason he was coaching the Celtics is Wyc’s cheapness.

Stevens is reportedly making $8 million as the ‘GM’ and Udoka was making $4 million. Wyc didn’t want to pay an elite head coach while paying Udoka’s salary.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 09:13:05 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I was about to say, how is Stephen Silas a veteran coach?

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

He's been either a head coach, advanced scout (on staff), or assistant coach for the past 23 years, since 2000.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Compared to Mazzulla's resume Steven Silas' looks like Popovich's