Author Topic: Woj: "This locker room never got over Ime Udoka's dismissal as head coach"  (Read 4399 times)

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Is this a news flash? Ime ruined our season.

All he had to do was keep it in his [dang] pants
Those women eagerly fell for him , no?   They needed to keep dey draws  up. …lol.  ;D

In a professional setting when there is a power dynamic at play you need to keep it in mind when you start going after subordinates.

I think Ime is way better than Joe but this isn't the hill to die on. Especially if he was harassing her

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
If you’re wondering “how come C’s only quit now”, this is my take:

- I think the C’s won 57 because our two top stars had too much to lose by not playing well. All-NBA and Supermax was at stake and they had the talent to get there if they applied themselves.

- They won the Hawks series with regular season effort. Simply because the talent disparity was that big.

- The Philly series, iirc, the all-NBA teams were announced around this time. So with the bag secured, they went about their usual business and that’s why they ended up in a 2-3 hole. Philly choked away game 6 and Tatum went god mode on game 7 because who wants to lose game 7? But again, we can see how the effort waxes and wanes.

- They entered the Miami series with the same “regular season” effort and well, we would be winning if the Heat didn’t “turn it up” every time down the stretch. Up until game 3, it was a competitive series. We just withered down the stretch

FWIW, I don’t think the team is actively trying to lose to “stick it to Joe”. But this deep in the season/postseason, you are your habits. And the C’s developed a habit of indifference under the guidance of Joe. Joe can’t rally this group, not because they conveniently quit on him now, but because they never bought into him ever. The players still largely determine the outcome after all. But ironically, the impact of good coaching is seen in the Heat, who have had a turbulent season but rallied together because well… You are your habits.

I’m sure though, if you ask any player on the team, they’d rather be up 3-0

This is a great post that articulates a lot of the nuance at play here, TP for you. :)

Woj is peddling this on behalf of someone, because that's how he operates and maintains his access pipeline. Remember when he leaked that Sixers foul report for Morey? Or are his 'ethics' not quite that much of an open secret yet?

Yeah, that was my first thought as well:  who is feeding this to Woj and for what purpose?

Most of Woj's connections seem to be agents, so my guess is that it's coming from a player who wants to make sure that Joe gets pushed out.  Maybe it's being put out there by Ime's agent just to mess with Celtics ownership, haha. 

Of course, that doesn't make the narrative being pushed true or untrue.  It's just being put out there with an agenda.  I happen to agree with that agenda, but this isn't "just the facts".
Hand in hand with the above, I assume it's coming from Jaylen's agent.

But, like Rip's pointed out, I can follow the line where the guys played hard, got what they needed to get to secure the promotion, and then when the going got tough they withered as they have a tendency to do. Smart's comments about 'we already beat you last year so we're good' are pretty telling here, and I am usually in the 'trade Smart over my dead body' camp. Especially since, by some accounts, Mazzulla was part of the defensive identity of the team last year (per Brogdon's comments), and the change in coaching staff is significant but can't be pulled down to just one guy. We'll never know if Stat had been HC whether or not the back half of the season would have played out like it did.

Jaylen’s agent is also Al’s and Marcus’s agent, Jason Glushon.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Woj has no real sources when it comes to the Celtics.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

A player told him this stuff, I think.  I can't prove it, but I suspect it.

Someone also told some of this stuff, to Gary W.

It might have been an ex player to with access.

I also don't think Joe ever has the locker room

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I could have sworn, there were reports/rumors of this when the Nets were looking into hiring Ime and again when the Rockets hired him.

BTW, this series was probably lost before it even started. I thought I heard the Celtics had a 97% chance of beating the Heat and going to the Finals. I know that scared me, because this Celtics team (for a few years now), can't seem to beat the teams their supposed to win against.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

A player told him this stuff, I think.  I can't prove it, but I suspect it.

Someone also told some of this stuff, to Gary W.

It might have been an ex player to with access.

I also don't think Joe ever has the locker room

Now Gary Washburn does have sources and knows his stuff when it comes to the Celtics

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
On toucher and rich they said Wyc and mazzulla got into it during the game. Haven't seen the video yet though

Did they describe what happened?  I'd think this would be all over the place.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Jaylen’s agent is also Al’s and Marcus’s agent, Jason Glushon.

That's true, although agents more commonly advocate to reporters on behalf of singular clients for this kind of stuff,

"Hey Jason, how's Jaylen feeling about this? Anything you can give me?"
"Honestly, I think the locker room never got over Ime's firing."
etc.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
On toucher and rich they said Wyc and mazzulla got into it during the game. Haven't seen the video yet though

I’ve Googled and found nothing.  This feels like talk radio nonsense.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I’ve Googled and found nothing.  This feels like talk radio nonsense.

No, something actually did happen I believe. If I remember right, either Bill Simmons or Ryan Russillo also mentioned something about it in their podcast (though I listened to several yesterday, so could be a different one). I think it revolved around Wyc telling Joe to get the starters out in the second half when he was still playing them.

That said, not sure this really counts as “getting into it”, but some sort of in-game conversation happened between the two.

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

they said wyc snapped at Mazulla to take tatum/brown out then Mazulla turned around and yelled at him and said "I am"

they said they also went at it during the philly series. I cant find video but its all over twitter

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
An underrated part of the coaching situation is how much Wyc will be involved in the decision. He is spending a fortune on this team right now and he very much desires a championship (or a good shot at one) because of it. Brad may be President, but Wyc is still the owner and has a say in this stuff.

That being said, people get emotional in the moment all the time and I am not going to assume that their latest 'spat' will play into the decision.

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Per yahoo:

Don't expect Joe to be fired. Expect a vet coach to be brought in as an assistant:

"The sentiment around Boston as recently as last week’s NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, sources said, was that the Celtics would afford Mazzulla, 34, quite a bit of runway to grow into an elevated role on the team’s sideline. Stevens himself was 36 when Danny Ainge anointed the former Butler head coach as Boston’s steward, to the tune of a six-year contract that awarded Stevens all the support and opportunity to develop. If the Celtics suddenly reversed course on Mazzulla, it would be a stark change of direction from the franchise’s original intent to allow Mazzulla similar time to flourish in the position, sources said, even considering Boston’s contending roster as opposed to the rebuild Stevens once inherited."

"A nearing conclusion to the Celtics’ season should prompt at least some level of coaching change. Boston has been connected to two former head coaches in Frank Vogel and Stephen Silas as veteran additions to its staff, sources told Yahoo Sports. "

The vet coach should have been brought in day 1 with Joe. Just an abject failure by Wyc and Brad through this whole thing.

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Per yahoo:

Don't expect Joe to be fired. Expect a vet coach to be brought in as an assistant:

"The sentiment around Boston as recently as last week’s NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, sources said, was that the Celtics would afford Mazzulla, 34, quite a bit of runway to grow into an elevated role on the team’s sideline. Stevens himself was 36 when Danny Ainge anointed the former Butler head coach as Boston’s steward, to the tune of a six-year contract that awarded Stevens all the support and opportunity to develop. If the Celtics suddenly reversed course on Mazzulla, it would be a stark change of direction from the franchise’s original intent to allow Mazzulla similar time to flourish in the position, sources said, even considering Boston’s contending roster as opposed to the rebuild Stevens once inherited."

"A nearing conclusion to the Celtics’ season should prompt at least some level of coaching change. Boston has been connected to two former head coaches in Frank Vogel and Stephen Silas as veteran additions to its staff, sources told Yahoo Sports. "

The vet coach should have been brought in day 1 with Joe. Just an abject failure by Wyc and Brad through this whole thing.

I don't know why this franchise is so infatuated with young rookie coaches with no NBA background. LOL

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Brad was 36 but he had been a head coach at a "major" college program for years.  Udoka had no head coaching experience, but played in the league for years and was a high level assistant for multiple teams and under some of the best head coaches in the game. In both instances, Boston wasn't coming off a Finals appearance with real title aspirations either.

Years ago,, Mazz was a D2 head coach for 2 seasons and was never a top assistant in the NBA.  He wasn't a 2nd assistant and may not have even been a 3rd assistant.  He never should have been given the job for more than a few weeks given the totality of circumstances, but if they were they had to bring in some real experienced help on the bench.  Organizational failure from top to bottom.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip