Author Topic: Woj: "This locker room never got over Ime Udoka's dismissal as head coach"  (Read 4405 times)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
yeah, and i never got over being born via caesarean, but sh*t happens and life goes on.  ::)

these prima donnas had all of training camp, preseason, the regular season, and two playoff series to get over it, but they’re going to meltdown about ime in the ECF?!?

if there’s any merit to this report, the players responsible are soft AF and should be traded posthaste.

I know this might come as a shock, but professional athletes sometimes play differently if they feel their coach is incompetent. For instance, if you haven't bought into a coach's gameplan, you might not execute it well.

he’s been incompetent all season and the game plan hasn’t changed. they won 57 regular season games, the first round of the playoffs, and the conference semifinals. if they couldn’t figure out he’s incompetent until the ECF, then maybe they’re not the professionals we thought.

if they were pros, they wouldn’t quit because they “feel” any particular way about joe. but therein lies the problem with our “leaders.” they’re not pros; they’re entitled brats who quit on brad, quit on joe, and now they’re allegedly throwing away a chance at a title because they’re sulking about ime?

joe is incompetent and should be fired asap, but like i said, the players are soft AF and any who are complicit in this unprofessional mutiny should be traded because they don’t deserve to wear celtic green.
How did they quit on Brad? He is public in saying he checked out on that team
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • International Superstar
Woj is peddling this on behalf of someone, because that's how he operates and maintains his access pipeline. Remember when he leaked that Sixers foul report for Morey? Or are his 'ethics' not quite that much of an open secret yet?

My gut feeling is that Wyc cheapened out with replacing Udoka.

It makes no sense to entrust a head coach with a total of two years division II college coaching experience. When you factor in the expectations on this team, the only conclusion I can come up with is that Wyc didn’t want to pay an expensive replacement & Udoka’s salary.

Wyc should sell the team to give the Celtics the resources they deserve…but in saying that, the grass isn’t always greener. Rich owners don’t always equate to winning, in fact it usually means more meddling.
I'd be pretty confident that this is the big conversation going on at the ownership level right now - the calculus around eating Mazzulla's salary (plus extension) and having to pay a premium for a top-tier head coach plus assistants. We've seen cost cutting all season - maybe because the team is gearing up to pay Brown's deal, maybe because they're not fully committed to this current core's chances of winning a championship - but what we haven't seen is a real commitment to spending, despite what ownership has said publicly.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Woj is peddling this on behalf of someone, because that's how he operates and maintains his access pipeline. Remember when he leaked that Sixers foul report for Morey? Or are his 'ethics' not quite that much of an open secret yet?

It makes no sense to entrust a head coach with a total of two years division II college coaching experience. When you factor in the expectations on this team, the only conclusion I can come up with is that Wyc didn’t want to pay an expensive replacement & Udoka’s salary.

Wyc should sell the team to give the Celtics the resources they deserve…but in saying that, the grass isn’t always greener. Rich owners don’t always equate to winning, in fact it usually means more meddling.
I'd be pretty confident that this is the big conversation going on at the ownership level right now - the calculus around eating Mazzulla's salary (plus extension) and having to pay a premium for a top-tier head coach plus assistants. We've seen cost cutting all season - maybe because the team is gearing up to pay Brown's deal, maybe because they're not fully committed to this current core's chances of winning a championship - but what we haven't seen is a real commitment to spending, despite what ownership has said publicly.

I can't imagine Mazzullas salary is really that big. they probably extended him because they figured it would be a bargain. now its a sunk cost.

they can afford it. I mean look what the sixers are paying Doc Rivers to sit at home...

it's pretty rare in the NBA that coaches remain with one team a long time anyway. look at Nurse/Bud, and those guys won championships. they hit their shelf life in about 3-4 years. Mazzulla just hit his 2-3 years early.

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Was this not already obvious?

They have the talent to win it all regardless. Even with a paper bag as a head coach.

Just another excuse.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

True, let's just add that they didn't want to eat Brad's contract either and pay for a new GM, so they kicked him upstairs.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If they roll everything back after getting swept & raising ticket prices, they are going to have a pretty p---ed off base. It’d send a terrible message.

I can’t imagine ownership is that oblivious to what is going on. But I also don’t necessarily trust them to do something.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah, that was my first thought as well:  who is feeding this to Woj and for what purpose?

Most of Woj's connections seem to be agents, so my guess is that it's coming from a player who wants to make sure that Joe gets pushed out.  Maybe it's being put out there by Ime's agent just to mess with Celtics ownership, haha. 

Of course, that doesn't make the narrative being pushed true or untrue.  It's just being put out there with an agenda.  I happen to agree with that agenda, but this isn't "just the facts".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
If you’re wondering “how come C’s only quit now”, this is my take:

- I think the C’s won 57 because our two top stars had too much to lose by not playing well. All-NBA and Supermax was at stake and they had the talent to get there if they applied themselves.

- They won the Hawks series with regular season effort. Simply because the talent disparity was that big.

- The Philly series, iirc, the all-NBA teams were announced around this time. So with the bag secured, they went about their usual business and that’s why they ended up in a 2-3 hole. Philly choked away game 6 and Tatum went god mode on game 7 because who wants to lose game 7? But again, we can see how the effort waxes and wanes.

- They entered the Miami series with the same “regular season” effort and well, we would be winning if the Heat didn’t “turn it up” every time down the stretch. Up until game 3, it was a competitive series. We just withered down the stretch

FWIW, I don’t think the team is actively trying to lose to “stick it to Joe”. But this deep in the season/postseason, you are your habits. And the C’s developed a habit of indifference under the guidance of Joe. Joe can’t rally this group, not because they conveniently quit on him now, but because they never bought into him ever. The players still largely determine the outcome after all. But ironically, the impact of good coaching is seen in the Heat, who have had a turbulent season but rallied together because well… You are your habits.

I’m sure though, if you ask any player on the team, they’d rather be up 3-0
- LilRip

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I figured this was the case specifically for certain players.

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • International Superstar
If you’re wondering “how come C’s only quit now”, this is my take:

- I think the C’s won 57 because our two top stars had too much to lose by not playing well. All-NBA and Supermax was at stake and they had the talent to get there if they applied themselves.

- They won the Hawks series with regular season effort. Simply because the talent disparity was that big.

- The Philly series, iirc, the all-NBA teams were announced around this time. So with the bag secured, they went about their usual business and that’s why they ended up in a 2-3 hole. Philly choked away game 6 and Tatum went god mode on game 7 because who wants to lose game 7? But again, we can see how the effort waxes and wanes.

- They entered the Miami series with the same “regular season” effort and well, we would be winning if the Heat didn’t “turn it up” every time down the stretch. Up until game 3, it was a competitive series. We just withered down the stretch

FWIW, I don’t think the team is actively trying to lose to “stick it to Joe”. But this deep in the season/postseason, you are your habits. And the C’s developed a habit of indifference under the guidance of Joe. Joe can’t rally this group, not because they conveniently quit on him now, but because they never bought into him ever. The players still largely determine the outcome after all. But ironically, the impact of good coaching is seen in the Heat, who have had a turbulent season but rallied together because well… You are your habits.

I’m sure though, if you ask any player on the team, they’d rather be up 3-0

This is a great post that articulates a lot of the nuance at play here, TP for you. :)

Yeah, that was my first thought as well:  who is feeding this to Woj and for what purpose?

Most of Woj's connections seem to be agents, so my guess is that it's coming from a player who wants to make sure that Joe gets pushed out.  Maybe it's being put out there by Ime's agent just to mess with Celtics ownership, haha. 

Of course, that doesn't make the narrative being pushed true or untrue.  It's just being put out there with an agenda.  I happen to agree with that agenda, but this isn't "just the facts".
Hand in hand with the above, I assume it's coming from Jaylen's agent.

But, like Rip's pointed out, I can follow the line where the guys played hard, got what they needed to get to secure the promotion, and then when the going got tough they withered as they have a tendency to do. Smart's comments about 'we already beat you last year so we're good' are pretty telling here, and I am usually in the 'trade Smart over my dead body' camp. Especially since, by some accounts, Mazzulla was part of the defensive identity of the team last year (per Brogdon's comments), and the change in coaching staff is significant but can't be pulled down to just one guy. We'll never know if Stat had been HC whether or not the back half of the season would have played out like it did.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He is 100% right. I could detect some negative reaction from the start , they were truly blind sided , slammed  with the news , damage done before they could process it all.  After all most are just now grow up , never held other jobs, and not wise in the ways of sneaky corporate offices. Played like a fiddle, told Ime was  an evil criminal  and had to go. While dozen teams were laughing and chopping at the bit to hire Ime. Watch as Houston builds back quickly. 

Corporate Punishment handed out like this team is based in Iran or Saudi Arabia. 

An easy going group they unfortunately put up too little resistance.  They should had a strike or shut down . After all Frt office was basically destroyed their season with a revenge punishment , not a punishment that fitted the perceived awful crime.  During season they made do without a proper coach, off what Ime had . Joe was a joke to be blunt.  Celtics made a spin to act like he was special , let’s give him the jo,  why offer it back to Ime ? He turned out to be a stooge . Players knew , but managed to keep their mouths shut
The good assistants were stolen away ….ones that should have been used . Thanks DA you scumbag .

But when the real tuff games against in playoffs where everything is for keeps and every little advantage makes a huge difference.  Players saw they were basically coached by a nobody who had no business as a nba head coach ,  maybe HS level ball . How far could they go with such a coaching disadvantage? 

Those idiots that own the Celtics should have turned the club back over to Ime after 1-3 months at most .

Now …players see how bad situation they were put in and are mad.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 08:55:10 AM by SHAQATTACK »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Is this a news flash? Ime ruined our season.

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

All he had to do was keep it in his [dang] pants
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
On toucher and rich they said Wyc and mazzulla got into it during the game. Haven't seen the video yet though

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

All he had to do was keep it in his [dang] pants
Those women eagerly fell for him , no?  Next time , keep dey draws  up. …lol.  ;D