Author Topic: Sixers at a Crossroads?  (Read 5871 times)

Re: Sixers at a Crossroads?
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2023, 02:54:21 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If Celts dont win a title, bring Doc back to Boston. 
Edit:  and if not Doc then D’antoni.

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2023, 02:58:51 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Harden got his wish now probably will leave lol..I expect Monty Williams or Sam Cassell be their next coach
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2023, 03:01:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
First Things First was talking about the Sixers.  Wright and Broussard both thought they'd be better off without Harden and that they should go hard after Lillard with Maxey, Harris (for money), and every pick they can trade.  Basically just be an Embiid/Lillard 2 man show and fill in with veterans and young guys.  Not sure that will land Lillard, but Maxey would certainly be one of the better assets the Blazers could get so it isn't totally far fetched.

Of course Morey loves Harden, so I doubt he'd be I terested in that, but it is interesting

I mean if they have to give up Maxey to acquire Lillard, then go ahead. Lillard's the better player BUT I'm not sure how that really threads the needle. Their bench is still awful. It was a problem last season too. It's a thin group. What entire group of "veterans/young guys" can they fill it with that's solid. They got Tucker and he hardly helped.

They probably don't have a choice though. Especially if Harden leaves. Sixers are screwed.

Yeah, if Sixers lose Harden (FA), Maxey, and Harris (salary filler) and they only get Lillard in return, then I'm not sure what the plan is. Niang, Reed, Melton, and House are just not going to cut it. I like Lillard, but no way he makes up for the production of the guys they are losing.

Agreed. Philly already lacking in depth. Trading their 3 supporting stars for 1 star makes them weaker. It will be very difficult to replace that depth (3 starters for 1) and fix their bench. It'll be at least another year before they are ready to make a long playoff run. Just won't be enough talent around Embiid and Lillard.
part of the logic was that Lillard fixes a lot of the Philly end game struggles.  Lillard shows up when it matters and the Sixers don't have that.  Embiid, isn't as much a choker as Harden, but he hasn't exactly come up big when it counts.  Lillard solves that problem while upgrading the talent of the #2 player.  Yes depth is hurt, but if they make that trade early enough they have time to put together a bench. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2023, 03:04:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Harden got his wish now probably will leave lol..I expect Monty Williams or Sam Cassell be their next coach
I hope they don't go for Cassell. I hate seeing contenders go for unproven rookie coaches. Especially in moments where they are going through a difficult time and it could cost them their star talent (Harden in FA, maybe Embiid in a trade demand in a year's time).

I loved Cassell as a player and always thought he had the right attributes to make a good coach. I want to see him get an opportunity but I don't think he is right for Philly.

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2023, 03:43:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I hope they don't go for Cassell. I hate seeing contenders go for unproven rookie coaches. Especially in moments where they are going through a difficult time and it could cost them their star talent (Harden in FA, maybe Embiid in a trade demand in a year's time).

I loved Cassell as a player and always thought he had the right attributes to make a good coach. I want to see him get an opportunity but I don't think he is right for Philly.
I'd guess it will be Dantoni
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2023, 04:11:19 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The Sixers’ search for a new coach is expected to include Mike Budenholzer, Sam Cassell, Mike D’Antoni, Nick Nurse, Frank Vogel and Monty Williams, sources tell ESPN.

Adrian Wojnarowski
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2023, 03:23:08 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The 76ers have not shown an appetite to pay James Harden the max.

Brian Windhorst.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2023, 03:31:43 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The 76ers have not shown an appetite to pay James Harden the max.

Brian Windhorst.

Wow, where do they think they are going without James Harden? I mean, it's not over but it is a major step backwards.

Losing Harden with zero compensation coming back. Better off paying him.

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2023, 04:21:48 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
They’d prefer massive TPE from signing and trading Harden.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2023, 04:56:41 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
They’d prefer massive TPE from signing and trading Harden.

Harden's got a player option for this upcoming season though right? unless you mean he opts in and then they trade him, rather than a classic S&T.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2023, 07:17:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Harden be year older and year worse. He is not Lebron

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2023, 01:01:57 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
NBACentral
@TheNBACentral
“When he left, the locker room was kind of quiet. Nobody really did much together...James was a great teammate on and off the court, was definitely one of the best teammates I've ever had...he's just a different breed.”

- Bruce Brown on James Harden

Interesting comment both about (1) Harden, and, (2) about the post-Harden Nets led by Durant & Kyrie.