Author Topic: Were the only viable options just Joe and Damon?  (Read 2116 times)

Re: Were the only viable options just Joe and Damon?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2023, 06:11:28 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It was a bad call. However I’m guessing they were concerned about shaking things up further by hiring outside.  Wanted someone who already had a relationship with the players - who they already had established some trust.  Retrospectively it wasn’t the right move.

Not only that, but I feel like the players have a lot of say in who the coach is. I believe Snyder, Vogel, D’Antoni were all available when Ime was hired as well.

We're also kind of ignoring the elephant in the room here. I don't think suspending/firing an African-American coach the players backed after they had a breakthrough trip to the finals and replacing him with a white coach would've been well received in the locker room at that point in time. I also don't think it would been well received from a publicity standpoint either.

I was thinking that too after seeing those three names named above. All white coaches. They made such a big deal about getting a black coach when hiring Ime. Players like Jaylen made a big deal about it.

You have to wonder if they would have even hired a white coach to replace Ime at that point. No way to know.

Yeah, considering how racially charged the conversation was around Ime's suspension as well, there's no way they get a white coach replacement at that time.

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2023, 06:14:44 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
It was a bad call. However I’m guessing they were concerned about shaking things up further by hiring outside.  Wanted someone who already had a relationship with the players - who they already had established some trust.  Retrospectively it wasn’t the right move.

Not only that, but I feel like the players have a lot of say in who the coach is. I believe Snyder, Vogel, D’Antoni were all available when Ime was hired as well.

We're also kind of ignoring the elephant in the room here. I don't think suspending/firing an African-American coach the players backed after they had a breakthrough trip to the finals and replacing him with a white coach would've been well received in the locker room at that point in time. I also don't think it would been well received from a publicity standpoint either.

I was thinking that too after seeing those three names named above. All white coaches. They made such a big deal about getting a black coach when hiring Ime. Players like Jaylen made a big deal about it.

You have to wonder if they would have even hired a white coach to replace Ime at that point. No way to know.

I think this was a big factor as well and will most likely continue to be a factor
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 06:21:13 PM by greg683x »
Greg

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2023, 06:19:50 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
It was a bad decision. Barring a 4 game winning streak and a championship win, Joe is out. They will correct course and try to make a better decision next time.

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2023, 06:21:29 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
They had to cater to an agenda that wasn't about winning games, so yes when you take in this agenda 2nd row Joe is one of the few options available. Others mentioned here did not fit the agenda.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 06:44:03 PM by goCeltics »

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2023, 07:11:29 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
It was a bad decision. Barring a 4 game winning streak and a championship win, Joe is out. They will correct course and try to make a better decision next time.

Ehh I’d say if the team did the impossible and came together and won 4 straight, it would probably buy Joe another year, even if they lost in the finals
Greg

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2023, 07:44:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah, considering how racially charged the conversation was around Ime's suspension as well, there's no way they get a white coach replacement at that time.

I'm not sure that replacing a competent black coach with an incompetent black coach in the name of public relations is progress.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2023, 08:26:07 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I'm not sure that replacing a competent black coach with an incompetent black coach in the name of public relations is progress.

No one said it was, but it is what it is... and it's not only about public relations, you had a locker room to manage..

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2023, 08:28:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No one said it was, but it is what it is... and it's not only about public relations, you had a locker room to manage..

If our players are that opposed to a white coach it's probably time to get less racist players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2023, 08:34:09 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I was fine with giving Joe the interim job, what they needed to do was bring an experienced assistant to help Joe manage.  Joe had never even been a #2 guy before.  The team lost Udoka, Hardy, and Stoudamire.  They needed someone with experience on the bench, even if it was an assistant.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip