Author Topic: Fire Brad!  (Read 5777 times)

Re: Fire Brad!
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2023, 12:18:15 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I blame Brad for the live by the 3 die by the 3 style of play. He’s said on many occasions that this is how he thinks the game should be played and that the numbers support it. Stevens constructed the roster to play this way. Hopefully this is a wake up call. I don’t want to see it again next season.

Hilarious the lengths you go to to cover for your boy Joe.

Brad and Ime were both 3-pointer oriented, but Joe is the clear culprit that took it to the unjustifiable level. We were 2nd in the league in attempts this year, where we were 9th, 10th, 12th, 7th, and 9th the previous 5 years.

Blame your golden boy, Joe. He's the one that instituted this extreme kind of three point offense, not Brad or Ime.

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2023, 12:19:50 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
CBS literally built one of the best and deepest rosters we’ve had in history. Made some great trades too

You can blame him for the coaching hire but it’s not his fault Ime messed up and put them in a bad position close to the season
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2023, 12:26:47 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
CBS literally built one of the best and deepest rosters we’ve had in history. Made some great trades too

You can blame him for the coaching hire but it’s not his fault Ime messed up and put them in a bad position close to the season

LOL and a bunch of nobodys beat us STRUS    VINCENT   MARTIN

wow just wow

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2023, 12:36:55 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

LOL and a bunch of nobodys beat us STRUS    VINCENT   MARTIN

wow just wow

Add Highsmith too like what the.

Our deepest roster was Malcolm Brogdon who became injured. Everyone else? Hauser, Muscala, Williams, Pritchard were unplayable or unbearable. No help for the front court.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2023, 12:37:02 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I blame Brad for the live by the 3 die by the 3 style of play. He’s said on many occasions that this is how he thinks the game should be played and that the numbers support it. Stevens constructed the roster to play this way. Hopefully this is a wake up call. I don’t want to see it again next season.

Brad and Ime were both 3-pointer oriented, but Joe is the clear culprit that took it to the unjustifiable level. We were 2nd in the league in attempts this year, where we were 9th, 10th, 12th, 7th, and 9th the previous 5 years.

Blame your golden boy, Joe. He's the one that instituted this extreme kind of three point offense, not Brad or Ime.

You really haven’t been paying attention much, have you. If you truly believe that Joe has free rein to do whatever he wants, you’re just delusional. He’s a 34 year old first time head coach.

Mazzulla credits Brad Stevens, who coached the Celtics from 2013-2021, for supporting him this season and being his “sounding board” per the Boston Globe.

“Just constant communication as far as where we think the team is, where we think we can go, what we can get better at, and what we’re doing well,” Mazzulla said. “He’s always done a good job as a coach of homing in on what we’re doing well and what we could do better. So for him to be on the outside and seeing it from a different perspective has helped me narrow in on what’s important on both ends. As a first-time head coach, to have a guy who’s coached in the NBA, has coached in a lot of big games, and has coached this team and has a great feel for what’s going on, it’s priceless.”

« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 12:43:22 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2023, 12:40:35 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

You really haven’t been paying attention much have you. If you truly believe that Joe has free rein to do whatever he wants, you’re just delusional. He’s a 34 year old first time head coach.

And yet he's the sole example in the past six years to have us nearly lead the league in three point attempts. Awful coincidence there, Goldy, especially since Joe has consistently and incessantly harped on the three point shooting all year long.

You're a fool if you think Brad is actively managing this. He's not. That's clearly not his style, and that's part of a prerequisite of a coach jumping into that position - not interfering in a coach's decisions like that. And if he is involved with this non-sense, then shame on him, too. But I highly doubt that if Brad was pulling the strings that he'd let Joe be as futile as he was all year long, including the playoffs.

The evidence is there for you, Goldy. Just need to take off your strange Joe apologism goggles to see it.

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2023, 01:18:36 AM »

Offline Indocelts

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 230
Joe wants to create his own brand of basketball, hence the air raid 3s, but he doesn’t have the personnel’s nor making the rotations to support his system.

The system itself is unsustainable without a strong defense. So, being a novice himself, he basically has nobody to blame but himself.

Remember, Joe actually  didn’t do a good job coaching game 6, it was White’s miracle shot that bailed him out.

So, out of this 7 game series he only coached “well” 2 out of 7 times. I just don’t think it should save his job.

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2023, 01:23:20 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

You really haven’t been paying attention much have you. If you truly believe that Joe has free rein to do whatever he wants, you’re just delusional. He’s a 34 year old first time head coach.

And yet he's the sole example in the past six years to have us nearly lead the league in three point attempts. Awful coincidence there, Goldy, especially since Joe has consistently and incessantly harped on the three point shooting all year long.

You're a fool if you think Brad is actively managing this. He's not. That's clearly not his style, and that's part of a prerequisite of a coach jumping into that position - not interfering in a coach's decisions like that. And if he is involved with this non-sense, then shame on him, too. But I highly doubt that if Brad was pulling the strings that he'd let Joe be as futile as he was all year long, including the playoffs.

The evidence is there for you, Goldy. Just need to take off your strange Joe apologism goggles to see it.

You really believe that Wyc and Brad handed the keys to kingdom over to Joe and said, “Here, do whatever you want. We will be 100% hands off.” It’s just laughable. Brad constructed the roster. Of course he is going to be involved in terms of deciding the style of play the team will utilize. Your dislike for Joe has blinded you to common sense.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2023, 01:29:35 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557

You really believe that Wyc and Brad handed the keys to kingdom over to Joe and said, “Here, do whatever you want. We will be 100% hands off.” It’s just laughable. Brad constructed the roster. Of course he is going to be involved in terms of deciding the style of play the team will utilize. Your dislike for Joe has blinded you to common sense.

LULZ

IN THAT CASE

CLEAN HOUSE
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2023, 03:11:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
RE: the OP asking if Myers would be an upgrade - depends on ownership I guess. Stevens has made some good trades and free agency moves, but Myers does not give a hoot about tax.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2023, 03:51:05 AM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
when brad effectively lost the locker room and hung up his whistle, he knew this roster needed an anti-brad to get to the next level, and he hit a home run with ime: a hard nosed coach who would call out the team for poor effort or play (even the stars), a defense-first approach to balance the 3pt heavy offense, and a person to whom the team could relate. when ime forced the organization’s hand with his behavior, an emotional brad panicked and promoted joe, then overreacted to a hot start by removing the interim tag too soon. other than this major blunder, brad’s been solid.

that said, brad’s moves (or lack thereof) this offseason will be very informative and will set the tone for the remainder of his tenure as GM.

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2023, 03:52:31 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I agree on two key points:

(1) PBS wants a high volume three point offense.
(2) PBS put together this roster to enable that.

Even if we fire Mazzula and hire a new coach, we will still have a three point heavy team. That is what most NBA types want nowadays. Not just PBS. But PBS definitely does.

Furthermore, our roster is not that good at creating other types of shots. We lack dribble penetration and playmaking from our guards. They are all bigger bulkier PGs / combo guards. None are true playmakers. This forces Jaylen & Tatum to be the playmakers.

Jaylen and Tatum are both more jump-shooters than slashers. Tatum especially. Tatum is a sweet shooting big forward. Jaylen wants to be a slasher but his loose handle causes a lot of turnovers and he doesn't pass well out of it either.

Then our bigs. Those guys don't give much interior offense. Rob Will is a garbage man. Almost all of Horford's offense comes from the perimeter nowadays. So does G Will's offense. Muscala is a perimeter player.

The deep bench pieces. Hauser is a three point shooter. Pritchard is a three point shooter. B Griffin is more of perimeter big albeit not a big three point shooter.

Whoever you give this roster to is going to run an offense with a huge amount of three point shooting. One of the league leaders in volume.

Whichever coach PBS choses to replace Mazzula, if he were to fire Mazzula, would be chosen in part for his inclination to play a three point heavy roster because that is what PBS wants. So I agree that we are going to see the same thing (three point heavy offense) with or without Mazzula and that this will not change unless PBS is changed.

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2023, 03:57:36 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Need a legit big, been saying this for years
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2023, 04:28:35 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
If hiring Joe and extending him was Brad's decision and not forced by Wyc, I'm all for him being shipped out. Hiring Joe was a colossal mistake and I don't think you can trust Brad going forward.
You mean promoting Joe, right? He’s been with the Celtics for a long time.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2023, 04:38:15 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

I agree on two key points:

(1) PBS wants a high volume three point offense.
(2) PBS put together this roster to enable that.

Even if we fire Mazzula and hire a new coach, we will still have a three point heavy team. That is what most NBA types want nowadays. Not just PBS. But PBS definitely does.

Furthermore, our roster is not that good at creating other types of shots. We lack dribble penetration and playmaking from our guards. They are all bigger bulkier PGs / combo guards. None are true playmakers. This forces Jaylen & Tatum to be the playmakers.

Jaylen and Tatum are both more jump-shooters than slashers. Tatum especially. Tatum is a sweet shooting big forward. Jaylen wants to be a slasher but his loose handle causes a lot of turnovers and he doesn't pass well out of it either.

Then our bigs. Those guys don't give much interior offense. Rob Will is a garbage man. Almost all of Horford's offense comes from the perimeter nowadays. So does G Will's offense. Muscala is a perimeter player.

The deep bench pieces. Hauser is a three point shooter. Pritchard is a three point shooter. B Griffin is more of perimeter big albeit not a big three point shooter.

Whoever you give this roster to is going to run an offense with a huge amount of three point shooting. One of the league leaders in volume.

Whichever coach PBS choses to replace Mazzula, if he were to fire Mazzula, would be chosen in part for his inclination to play a three point heavy roster because that is what PBS wants. So I agree that we are going to see the same thing (three point heavy offense) with or without Mazzula and that this will not change unless PBS is changed.
This can actually work if CBS have a freaking clue on how to built a team with players specialized in their roles. Brad has been obsessed with jack-of-all-trades masters-of-none type players. Like everyone have a greenlight to bombs away from 3. There is a reason positions in basketballs exists. Even if your team doesn't have a traditional lineup, there should be specific roles or plays like ball handler or cutter/slasher and coach should be active on sidelines on calling plays if he feels the team is deviating from it.