Author Topic: Fire Brad!  (Read 5778 times)

Re: Fire Brad!
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2023, 03:41:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Only question I have is how many mistakes are allowed? 

Obviously, every GM makes mistakes.  Mistakes on draft day are universal.  Mistakes on trades and FA pickups also common.  I think Brad blew the coaching hiring. But in his defense, Ime put him in a tough place, having to make a change at a tough time and with a team that built a rapport with the guy.  Bringing in someone from the outside would also have been a gamble.
Turned out to be a bad move.
Let’s see if he rectifies swiftly with a quick firing of Joe and hiring of an experienced coach (Nurse?).

I like what Brad did with the roster and I think he can improve it, but move #1 is coaching change.

JKBS

They originally suspended Ime though.  Maybe they could have stuck with that.  BTW, did the other party get fired?  #askingforafriend

In the interest of equality, of course not.

I don't want this to turn political, but if a supervisor propositions a subordinate, it makes sense to discipline the supervisor but not the subordinate. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2023, 04:21:55 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592

Obviously, every GM makes mistakes.  Mistakes on draft day are universal.  Mistakes on trades and FA pickups also common.  I think Brad blew the coaching hiring. But in his defense, Ime put him in a tough place, having to make a change at a tough time and with a team that built a rapport with the guy.  Bringing in someone from the outside would also have been a gamble.
Let’s see if he rectifies swiftly with a quick firing of Joe and hiring of an experienced coach (Nurse?).

I like what Brad did with the roster and I think he can improve it, but move #1 is coaching change.

JKBS

They originally suspended Ime though.  Maybe they could have stuck with that.  BTW, did the other party get fired?  #askingforafriend

I don't want this to turn political, but if a supervisor propositions a subordinate, it makes sense to discipline the supervisor but not the subordinate.

Yes but if the subordinate accepts, it would be mutual. I'd think they both broke the code of conduct for the org.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2023, 04:29:12 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Talk about not holding the players accountable. We have threads wanting Joe fired, and now Stevens. I do feel Brad was put in a corner in hiring a head coach so late before the season began, so his options could not have been great. Are we not going to give him credit for assembling, what many considered, the most talented roster in the league?

As mentioned, I'm not really serious with this thread, but I do think Bob Myers is a very interesting option.

But, Devil's advocate...  If you're the manager of a restaurant and buy the finest ingredients and have the nicest decor, but your chef can't cook, who gets the blame?

I would argue that Brad found the right head coach for this group of players with Ime. Ownership then stepped in after one year, and fired Ime. Head coaches are fired all the time, which tells me, finding the right coach for a certain group of players is very difficult. Is it possible to find another coach that can click with this group? Yes, but also highly unlikely. Did ownership close a potential championship window because of a law suit?

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2023, 04:44:00 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Thank you for starting this thread Roy.

100% full on board with this. It's time for some new faces in management. We need a GM with an experienced and tough enough vision. No more college basketball mindset which has already badly influenced the coaching and quite frankly the roster with all these 3-ball freaks.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2023, 06:34:36 PM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Obviously, removing the interim tag on Joe was a mistake. But Brad got nice complementary pieces to surround the Jays. He did his job.

I have my doubts about Brad. But this late-season implosion can't be blamed on him.

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2023, 06:53:47 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
So this team tuned out Joe, tuned out Ime for half a season and tuned out Brad.  I don't think there is anything that can be done except for an attitude adjustment.  If these guys are capable of such an adjustment, why not have Brad come back down from the front office and coach this team the right way?  Brad is a great coach and was a selling point for free agents.

Additionally, I don't think Brad failed as a GM.  He was/is rather good, with the exception of not filling Joe's spot this year.  The personnel decisions have been great.  He had some bad luck with the Gallinari injury, but Brogdon was a very good find and getting Horford for Kemba was fantastic too.

This team is completely underperforming in the ECF, but they are still in the ECF.  I think with Brad instead of Joe coaching, we are either in the finals or at least faring better than we are now.  Let Brad coach the team he assembled.

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2023, 06:59:32 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
So this team tuned out Joe, tuned out Ime for half a season and tuned out Brad.  I don't think there is anything that can be done except for an attitude adjustment.  If these guys are capable of such an adjustment, why not have Brad come back down from the front office and coach this team the right way?  Brad is a great coach and was a selling point for free agents.

Additionally, I don't think Brad failed as a GM.  He was/is rather good, with the exception of not filling Joe's spot this year.  The personnel decisions have been great.  He had some bad luck with the Gallinari injury, but Brogdon was a very good find and getting Horford for Kemba was fantastic too.

This team is completely underperforming in the ECF, but they are still in the ECF.  I think with Brad instead of Joe coaching, we are either in the finals or at least faring better than we are now.  Let Brad coach the team he assembled.

brad aint coaching this team again.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2023, 07:07:16 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

JKBS

Yes but if the subordinate accepts, it would be mutual. I'd think they both broke the code of conduct for the org.

What is your point? I'm lost.

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2023, 07:19:00 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

His counterpart in Miami did it.

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2023, 07:19:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Maybe 1 in 50million   In NBA

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2023, 07:35:16 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
I actually think Brad has done a good job.

I think Ime was a good hire (who knew he couldnt keep his pants on?). DWhite was a good pickup (is he being utilized correctly?).  Brogdon seems like a good pickup.

He was in a tough position having to backfill Ime.  With the success they had last year, I can understand him wanting to keep continuity and promote Joe. 

What I dont understand is not bringing in a veteran assistant AND more importantly, extending him at the All Star break.  Totally unneccessary and premature. 

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2023, 08:44:45 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I'm not 100% serious about this, but Bob Myers is a free agent.  Would he be an upgrade?

Yes, he would. It doesn't look like he's willing to take another job, however. https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-bob-myers-wont-210758987.html

There are many problems with this team, but Brad isn't one of the main ones.

Brad is capable of doing the following to right the ship:

1) Hire a new head coach and hopefully move Joe into another role
2) Figure out where Smart and Brown's defense went. Ensure that it doesn't happen again
3) Test the waters on Brown/Smart/Robert Williams trades
4) Go into next season with Tatum as the #1 and the vocal leader
5) Avoid spending $ on role players such as Grant Williams
6) Start developing draft capital again and trade for proven talent

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2023, 10:28:40 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Send him packing with Coach Joe. Take his college boy basketball philosophy with Joe Schmoe.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2023, 10:42:36 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I blame Brad for the live by the 3 die by the 3 style of play. He’s said on many occasions that this is how he thinks the game should be played and that the numbers support it. Stevens constructed the roster to play this way. Hopefully this is a wake up call. I don’t want to see it again next season.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2023, 12:13:25 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Send him packing with Coach Joe. Take his college boy basketball philosophy with Joe Schmoe.

good riddance
LET'S GO CELTICS!