Author Topic: Fire Brad!  (Read 5753 times)

Fire Brad!
« on: May 22, 2023, 01:11:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not 100% serious about this, but Bob Myers is a free agent.  Would he be an upgrade?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Fire Brad!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 01:15:50 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
i will always put in my two cents on coaching but i will CONCEDE all GM choices to my Celtics talk brethren. I trust somebody here to find us a upgrade over brad IF NEEDED aka if he does not fire joe which i expect him to.

if brad wants to save his job joe should be fired as soon as the clock hits 00:00 in miami next game
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 01:26:22 PM by Boston Garden Leprechaun »
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 01:17:52 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
PBS has done a great job constructing this roster imo. We have deep talent. Coaching decision aside, I think he’s been pretty good no?
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 01:20:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He has done adding talent to the roster.   He hasn't "lost" a trade.   

Can he be blamed for how the head coaching issues have worked out?

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 01:20:26 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
PBS has done a great job constructing this roster imo. We have deep talent. Coaching decision aside, I think he’s been pretty good no?

I agree. And besides, we don't know what type of mandates he has to deal with from ownership. Clearly spending is an issue despite Wyc saying otherwise. If not, I think we would've used that big TPE even after we got Brogdon.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 01:22:08 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

we needed a real good big, let TPE's go. do you think he can part ways with his boys smart and brown? do you think he is in a bubble or does he see these groundhog day issues with his players year after year AND does he want to fix this team?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 01:27:38 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Brad never addressed a legit third big to spell Al and Rob (old and made of glass). He never got a legit wing to contribute off the bench.

Thought Hauser and Kornet would do the job. That is laughable.

Joe was a panic move. Never should have hired him full time until after the season.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 01:35:03 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

we needed a real good big, let TPE's go. do you think he can part ways with his boys smart and brown? do you think he is in a bubble or does he see these groundhog day issues with his players year after year AND does he want to fix this team?

This is a weird take. This is his 2rd year as GM and he's addressed holes on the roster that Danny Ainge failed to see over his last few years. As I said above, we don't know if ownership gave the okay to use the TPEs to save on the tax bill, so it's hard to judge that.

But he did lead the search for Ime and made the right hire then, imo. Traded for Derek who was All-defense this season. Saw we needed another ball-handler and traded for Brogdon in a move no one saw coming. Extended Rob at a reasonable rate. He's done the roster work.

What happened with Ime ultimately was an unprecedented situation. Not sure what the "right" thing to do would have been considering the timing. Should they have had a coaching search days before preseason and with a meh coaching market? Given how we started the season while missing a key player in Rob, going to Joe looked like the right move.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 01:37:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
He has done adding talent to the roster.   He hasn't "lost" a trade.   

Can he be blamed for how the head coaching issues have worked out?

Yes, he can.  He handed "the rope" to the third guy on our depth chart, and he asked him to do it without a safety net.  The team didn't rehire Hardy's, Joe's, or Stoudamire's position. 

Then, Brad made things worse by filling out the roster with unproven guys and dumpster dives, rather than giving his rookie coach some strong veteran voices in the locker room.  Griffin was nice, but Vonleh and Jackson were just bad choices.

That was followed up by the team letting a bunch of TPEs expire, not filling the 15th roster spot until the brink of the playoffs, and cutting payroll during the season.  I presume some of that was Wyc, even though he insists that there were no budget constraints.

I think Brad has been good overall, but he hasn't been amazing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 01:38:12 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

This is a weird take. This is his 2rd year as GM and he's addressed holes on the roster that Danny Ainge failed to see over his last few years. As I said above, we don't know if ownership gave the okay to use the TPEs to save on the tax bill, so it's hard to judge that.

But he did lead the search for Ime and made the right hire then, imo. Traded for Derek who was All-defense this season. Saw we needed another ball-handler and traded for Brogdon in a move no one saw coming. Extended Rob at a reasonable rate. He's done the roster work.

What happened with Ime ultimately was an unprecedented situation. Not sure what the "right" thing to do would have been considering the timing. Should they have had a coaching search days before preseason and with a meh coaching market? Given how we started the season while missing a key player in Rob, going to Joe looked like the right move.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

i agree with many things u said.  right we do not know what ownership said. that being said we need to know. how?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 01:42:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Is it unprecedented, though?  The specific facts, maybe, but the situation?

The fact is, teams change coaches mid-season all of the time.  Sometimes an internal coach is elevated, but other times a team hires from the outside.  Heck, it happened in Atlanta this season.  Those teams adjust.

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2023, 01:46:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

The fact is, teams change coaches mid-season all of the time.  Sometimes an internal coach is elevated, but other times a team hires from the outside.  Heck, it happened in Atlanta this season.  Those teams adjust.
And even if you wanted to give Mazz a shot, why not bring an experienced associate head coach..  I think people forget that it wasn't just Udoka, Boston also lost Hardy, Stoudemire, and then didn't really replace Mazz on the bench.  They needed to bring in someone like D'Antoni to help Mazz out.

That said, I think a lot of what you are blaming Brad for is on the owners, as such I wouldn't fore Brad.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2023, 01:50:59 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
If hiring Joe and extending him was Brad's decision and not forced by Wyc, I'm all for him being shipped out. Hiring Joe was a colossal mistake and I don't think you can trust Brad going forward.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2023, 01:51:20 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

It is. How many times has an NBA team conducted a coaching search while their existing coach was suspended?

We didn't fire Ime for almost half a season. I suspect there may have been seem legal stuff there and even if the team believed he would've ultimately been let go, can you bring in a whole new coach with the existing one still with the team? How would the players - who liked Ime - have responded to that? Again, it's easy to play the coulda, woulda, shoulda game in hindsight. I don't remember a lot of calls to fire Joe when we were off to a 20-5 start to the season without Rob.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2023, 01:53:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

It is. How many times has an NBA team conducted a coaching search while their existing coach was suspended?

We didn't fire Ime for almost half a season. I suspect there may have been seem legal stuff there and even if the team believed he would've ultimately been let go, can you bring in a whole new coach with the existing one still with the team? How would the players - who liked Ime - have responded to that? Again, it's easy to play the coulda, woulda, shoulda game in hindsight. I don't remember a lot of calls to fire Joe when we were off to a 20-5 start to the season without Rob.

Yeah, this mess is all on Ime as far as I'm concerned.