Author Topic: What qualities should we look for in a new coach?  (Read 454 times)

What qualities should we look for in a new coach?
« on: May 22, 2023, 01:09:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
During our last full coaching search, it looks like we had several criteria.  From various reports, it seems the following were important:

* Former NBA player
* African-American
* Commands respect
* Experienced assistant coach
* Defensive pedigree

Then, during the Joe coaching search it was "who is highest on our depth chart" after Hardy left and Ime was suspended.

What factors are important this time around?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: What qualities should we look for in a new coach?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 01:12:38 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
-A vet that the players can respect
-Hold guys accountable
-Is either an offensive or defensive mind.
-Can adapt when games go sideways
-I don't care if he is white, black, purple or green. Just someone that knows how to lead a group of talented players and gets them to buy in.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 01:22:28 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
We need a better offensive system than post-playcalling one we've seen this year, because our guys can't consistently create in a faux-motion offense - we're all in agreement there I think.

On the defensive side of the ball it's harder to say, because I maintain that's more on the players we have than the scheme, but it'd be nice to get the buy-in back.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 01:26:54 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Someone who will play the best players. Not afraid to not start Marcus.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 01:30:44 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I want an experienced head coach who has had success.

Frank Vogel and Nick Nurse come to mind.  Doc Rivers too (now I duck). We need someone who can manage players with egos. 

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 01:40:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Somebody with a strong message like IME .  The players are obviously looking to be led , they have little leadership abilities among them.

I’m sorry Kenny Atkinson is already coaching  . He is my first choice .  I think coach Bud got screwed by Bucks myself .  They ll regret that move.  I like Bud and Vogel . 

A lot of the coaches I would like as player are probably not the coach this team needs.  I d play for New Orleans old coach , but he maybe too soft and not demanding enough….that Suns team is a little like the Celtics , not highly motivated bunch.

They don’t need another coach teammate or a buddy who is a yes man.  .  They need a real basketball coach.   Steve Kerr is good .

Just say ……NO ….to Doc Rivers .