Author Topic: Jaylen to decide Joe's future, pick next coach?  (Read 2750 times)

Re: Jaylen to decide Joe's future, pick next coach?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2023, 11:35:09 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
Brown has been just as bad or worse then the coach this series, he shouldn’t have any leverage.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this core is topped out. we developed him gave him years. time for him to go.

only ones i am keeping for sure are

JT
MB

maybe RW
 maybe DW

the rest are all tradeable to upgrade with players with BBIQ who can score......and a big who can play d and score. IDK what happens with gallo.

not sure i want al anymore either.

trade brown and smart

he is 26 years old and just reached career highs in PPG. does he have his warts sure. but I guarantee the same celtics fans wanting him shipped off will be criticizing management for letting him go if he continued to improve as a star by the time he's 28 (which is an NBA players prime).

OKC shipped off young harden...that worked out great for them...

I get fans are emotional. but hopefully management isnt as irrational as celtics fans when their team loses....

and how did that new PPG work in winning this series? he is a chemistry and continuity liability. nah. we have a book of evidence.  what you see is what you get. he is topped out imo.  i also think he is a possible cancer on this team. there is no guarantees with these guys. all this prime talk, and we could keep him and be the same 10 years from now. it is time to play to win now. he is not a smart player. sorry.

doesnt matter. you don't sell low on a 26 year old All-NBA player because they underperformed in one round of the playoffs. no way to say hes topped out or is a cancer.

thats a move that would set the franchise back decades. OKC never recovered. we need to think rationally here. not emotionally as fans "trade everyone!"

trading jaylen on an expiring contract will bring back trash....you sign him to a long term deal and can STILL Trade him. but you will get back alot more.

Or you want to end up like the nets getting someone like dinwiddie and low 1st round picks?

Brown wants out. It’s been apparent for awhile. He’s getting traded one way or another. The next step is him publicly asking out. It’s coming.

It really hasn't been apparent at all...but okay.

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2023, 01:45:07 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I just saw this article:

“You don’t ever come in my office and tell me to fire a coach” - When Pat Riley reportedly defended Erik Spoelstra from the Miami Heat players.

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/off-the-court/when-pat-riley-reportedly-defended-erik-spoelstra-from-the-miami-heat-players
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 02:02:29 PM by johnnygreen »

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2023, 02:18:01 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Brown has been just as bad or worse then the coach this series, he shouldn’t have any leverage.

JT
MB

maybe RW
 maybe DW

the rest are all tradeable to upgrade with players with BBIQ who can score......and a big who can play d and score. IDK what happens with gallo.

trade brown and smart

he is 26 years old and just reached career highs in PPG. does he have his warts sure. but I guarantee the same celtics fans wanting him shipped off will be criticizing management for letting him go if he continued to improve as a star by the time he's 28 (which is an NBA players prime).

I get fans are emotional. but hopefully management isnt as irrational as celtics fans when their team loses....

and how did that new PPG work in winning this series? he is a chemistry and continuity liability. nah. we have a book of evidence.  what you see is what you get. he is topped out imo.  i also think he is a possible cancer on this team. there is no guarantees with these guys. all this prime talk, and we could keep him and be the same 10 years from now. it is time to play to win now. he is not a smart player. sorry.

doesnt matter. you don't sell low on a 26 year old All-NBA player because they underperformed in one round of the playoffs. no way to say hes topped out or is a cancer.

thats a move that would set the franchise back decades. OKC never recovered. we need to think rationally here. not emotionally as fans "trade everyone!"

trading jaylen on an expiring contract will bring back trash....you sign him to a long term deal and can STILL Trade him. but you will get back alot more.

Or you want to end up like the nets getting someone like dinwiddie and low 1st round picks?

Brown wants out. It’s been apparent for awhile. He’s getting traded one way or another. The next step is him publicly asking out. It’s coming.

It really hasn't been apparent at all...but okay.

No one has ever turned down a super max...

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2023, 02:44:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I just saw this article:

“You don’t ever come in my office and tell me to fire a coach” - When Pat Riley reportedly defended Erik Spoelstra from the Miami Heat players.

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/off-the-court/when-pat-riley-reportedly-defended-erik-spoelstra-from-the-miami-heat-players

Danny was tuff too……Brad can’t GM like Riley or even Danny.   You got to be a bit of a junkyard dog , have some fight in ya to be GM ,…..backup you coach if he is a good one,  Brad tossed Ime to the wolves , they were gonna get their pound of flesh .  I d told that dude how about taking it out on your old lady for messing with Ime.  No, I gotta have me some Ime azz. …..Brad and Wyc , ok done sue ,  well can him. Sissy’s.

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2023, 03:23:48 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

JT
MB

maybe RW
 maybe DW

trade brown and smart

Where has this ever been state by Brown?  Seriously?  Where is the link / source? 

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2023, 04:15:57 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730

JT
MB

maybe RW
 maybe DW

trade brown and smart

Agreed, though I definitely keep Rob, White and Brogdon.

A tough, veteran coach will do wonders with the remaining roster.

Maybe you have to sign Brown to a Max, though he is hardly a max player when it matters.
Sign him, get a competent coach and see how he responds. If he mopes around in his "lack of respect" mood, trade him at the deadline.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2023, 05:06:35 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Give Jaylen his money but stop pandering, pandering got us Joe, get the best Guy or Girl for the Job

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2023, 05:13:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't think you enable your #2 player to dictate who the coach is. Input, sure, that makes sense. But the front office cannot give decision-making away, because they will never get that back.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2023, 05:51:11 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Brown is more important than the coach. You need more than one star to win in this league.
Nobody outside the team really knows  the interrelationships on the team.
We do know there were problems with Stevens, which may be why he and his big guaranteed salary were kicked upstairs
and Danny conveniently retired. Or resigned, as it turned out. He's working again.
I suspect there were more problems with some players when the previous coach was fired for non basketball reasons.
Usually that kind of stuff is kept in house.

The last two coaching changes Wyc has made have been unusual. One coach was kicked upstairs.
The other was fired despite a good performance.

I don't see them surviving this series, so Wyc and Stevens will be choosing another coach.
And it will be someone the key players will be comfortable with.
Doc Rivers looks like a logical option, but he's going to want a lot more money than Wyc has paid the last two coaches.

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2023, 06:00:30 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I hadn't considered this angle:

Cameron Tabatabaie @CTabatabaie

Jaylen Brown will ultimately decide what happens next with the Celtics coach. His extension talks this summer will create enough leverage that he can basically get first and last word on the matter.

How much power will JB have in shaping this roster?  And, will the Celts push back?

I think at a bare minimum, he won’t sign his extension until he knows who the next coach is.  Then a trade request would come if he doesn’t like the decision

I’m assuming that’s still possible with the super max extension?  He gets traded to a team he’ll agree to sign the extension with?  Or does he lose the super max opportunity with any kind of trade?
Greg

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2023, 06:22:47 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Jaylen Brown will ultimately decide what happens next with the Celtics coach. His extension talks this summer will create enough leverage that he can basically get first and last word on the matter.

How much power will JB have in shaping this roster?  And, will the Celts push back?

I think at a bare minimum, he won’t sign his extension until he knows who the next coach is.  Then a trade request would come if he doesn’t like the decision

I’m assuming that’s still possible with the super max extension?  He gets traded to a team he’ll agree to sign the extension with?  Or does he lose the super max opportunity with any kind of trade?

I have wondered about this also.  I don't think he can be extended at supermax levels if he is traded.  But it is hard to find anything completely definitive on this.

The team offering the deal has to either have drafted the player or traded for that player still on his rookie deal.

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2023, 06:24:48 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

JT
MB

maybe RW
 maybe DW

trade brown and smart

What an emotional response. I'm so glad we don't give the keys to the kingdom to fans.

Jaylen's not going to pick the next coach. This is also an emotional take.

Brad will likely ask for Tatum and Brown's opinion (this would be a smart move), but ultimately, it will be his decision to make.

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2023, 06:28:53 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

I have wondered about this also.  I don't think he can be extended at supermax levels if he is traded.  But it is hard to find anything completely definitive on this.

The team offering the deal has to either have drafted the player or traded for that player still on his rookie deal.

TP for the info.

Now I can REALLY understand why Jaylen might have had a lot running through his head at the presser last night
Greg

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2023, 06:29:25 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brown has every right to wait to sign an extension until he knows who the coach is but I do not believe that either Brown or Tatum will have a say on the coach selection.  They may at most be asked something like, what type of coaching style do you like or something like that.  Or maybe they will be asked what they think went wrong this season and they can say they didn't like the coach if they want.  But I do not believe any specific names will be discussed with them or that they will be asked specifically whether or not they want to keep Mazzulla.

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2023, 06:30:41 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

JT
MB

maybe RW
 maybe DW

trade brown and smart

Where has this ever been state by Brown?  Seriously?  Where is the link / source?

“It’s not the whole Celtic fan base, but it is a part of the fan base that exists within the Celtic nation that is problematic,” Brown said. “If you have a bad game, they tie it to your personal character.

“I definitely think there’s a group or an amount within the Celtic nation that is extremely toxic and does not want to see athletes use their platform, or they just want you to play basketball and entertain and go home. And that’s a problem to me.”

“I think that not every Celtics fan — I know that every Celtics fan in our arena is not a racist,” Brown told reporters that day, per ESPN. “We have people of all walks of life, ethnicities, colors, that are die-hard Celtics fans. So I think painting every Celtics fan as a racist would be unfair.

“However, Boston, we’ve got a lot of work to do, no question. Incarceration rate is ridiculous, the wealth disparity is embarrassing, the inequality in education specifically in Boston public schools needs to be better. There’s a lack of resources there, lack of opportunity. The tokenism here in Boston needs to be addressed as well.”

“There’s not a lot of room for people of color, black entrepreneurs, to come in and start a business,” Brown said. “I think that my experience there has been not as fluid as I thought it would be.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/17/sports/basketball/boston-celtics-jaylen-brown-activism-kanye-west.html

He sure seems to love Boston! :o