Author Topic: The morning after...  (Read 5631 times)

Re: The morning after...
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2023, 08:07:03 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Last year when they lost in the finals I was bummed but felt it was part of a natural progression towards ultimately winning the title.

I don't feel that way at all right now.

Yeah.  Last year there was so much to look forward to.  Right now, it suddenly feels like we're at a crossroads.

Its a crossroads but with out much choice. Its gonna be really hard to shake up this team. We're kinda stuck with this roster for the most part. Maybe a coaching change but 3 new coaches in 3 years....yikes.

I'm not sure if I 100% agree.  I think that Smart, White and Brogdon are all tradeable.  I think that if Brad wants to, he could majorly shake up the roster, while still staying committed to Tatum / Brown.

And then, of course, there's the nuclear option of trading JB.

Plus there's the option of running it back with a new coach if they believe it was coaching staff holding the team back

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2023, 08:07:20 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Feeling like the Celtics actually quit so I’m fine with the season being over….these dudes are legit ready for vacation.

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2023, 08:09:01 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Last year when they lost in the finals I was bummed but felt it was part of a natural progression towards ultimately winning the title.

Yeah.  Last year there was so much to look forward to.  Right now, it suddenly feels like we're at a crossroads.

Its a crossroads but with out much choice. Its gonna be really hard to shake up this team. We're kinda stuck with this roster for the most part. Maybe a coaching change but 3 new coaches in 3 years....yikes.

I'm not sure if I 100% agree.  I think that Smart, White and Brogdon are all tradeable.  I think that if Brad wants to, he could majorly shake up the roster, while still staying committed to Tatum / Brown.

Its possible. Just hard. Will take some really creative GMing, lots of risk. Trading Smart, making him the fall guy, could backfire. Nuclear option, trading JB, would be really hard to pull off successfully, I'd be shocked if there is a team out there to make that option worth it. It would be really brave to make a one step back, for two steps forward move. The edges of the roster will certainly get shuffled but I don't think that amounts to much.

Most likely way to reset is to fire Mazulla but thats still a pretty big red flag. A team that eats coaches alive, whether that is not necessarily a fair accusation, it could be the perception.

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2023, 08:09:44 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
At peace. Ready for it to be over. This has been a flawed team probably since the finals last season and this series has magnified them 100 percent. Hopefully this leads to some serious change on the roster and in the coaching ranks.

I accepted their fate after game 2. They are a chore to watch this year and will welcome the break.

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2023, 08:11:27 AM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I expected the Celtics to take a step back once they hired Mazzula. Regular season is one thing but come playoff time I was concerned with him being over his head. I thought it would have been the Bucks beating the Celtics not Miami. I really didn’t plan on the players quitting which tells me there are much bigger problems than just an inexperienced coach.

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2023, 08:12:05 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sick to my stomach. Depressed. Lost.

The expectations versus the implosion got me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2023, 08:17:53 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
A lot of these issues we saw the last few months of the season. Blown leads, not being about to close out games, defense was not good, poor coaching, hero ball, turnovers.

But we all felt once the playoffs started they would lock in. I guess I am surprised how soft they are mentally. They just have quit and cannot finish close games. They are not together. Do not play as a team. Do not play for each other and seem to hate the coach.

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2023, 08:19:35 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Its possible. Just hard. Will take some really creative GMing, lots of risk. Trading Smart, making him the fall guy, could backfire. Nuclear option, trading JB, would be really hard to pull off successfully, I'd be shocked if there is a team out there to make that option worth it. It would be really brave to make a one step back, for two steps forward move. The edges of the roster will certainly get shuffled but I don't think that amounts to much.

Most likely way to reset is to fire Mazulla but thats still a pretty big red flag. A team that eats coaches alive, whether that is not necessarily a fair accusation, it could be the perception.

I just don't see it that way at all. They did right by Brad and gave him a promotion into the front office. The team was lauded with how they handled the Ime situation. And Joe was an interim head coach for half the season. Our previous best assistant was hired by Utah to lead a seemingly tanking team. Nobody thought Joe had earned possibly the best job in the league.

They have a chance to reset the same way they did after Brad. Players would love the opportunity to give their input and coaches will be lining up far and wide for such an opportunity.

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2023, 08:25:55 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
At peace. Ready for it to be over. This has been a flawed team probably since the finals last season and this series has magnified them 100 percent. Hopefully this leads to some serious change on the roster and in the coaching ranks.

I accepted their fate after game 2. They are a chore to watch this year and will welcome the break.

Yeah, this is my take also. Honestly, they should be praised for making it as far as the ECF again (5th time in 7 years), but despite the 57 wins, this season really has been a chore to watch. Maybe I'm just spoiled at this point..

They really just continued their regular season run into this season, before showing major cracks in the foundation and looking like an average playoff team for most of the season.

I am not really devastated this morning because the game last night was such a joke. The 3rd quarter of game 1 and the end of game 2 were much more disappointing. Last night was an absolute must win and it wasn't even close.

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2023, 08:42:58 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
How are you guys feeling?

disgusted

pizzed

sickened

apathy setting in

sick of brad

sick of wyc

sick of this roster

huge changes needed

another year blown

it is obvious JB and smart have to go. get a guy who can score and has a BBIQ next to JT

enough already.

fire joe

fire brad if he does not hire best coach available that being nurse

soft weak culture has to change

wont happen without roster changes
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2023, 08:50:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Onto the offseason
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2023, 09:03:47 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Pretty ok, aside from a bit of indigestion from a vegan kebab I really didn't need to eat at the end of the evening, which more or less sums up how the losses have made me feel all season.

We've been a coinflip team all year - I can just easily see us peeling off four victories and going back to the Finals as I can being the recipients of the broomhandle.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2023, 09:15:16 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Angry that they traded a defensive team identity last year to a make or miss three point identity this year.   

Angry that the long term season goals seems to take a back seat to the short term in season goals.   

And really angry that because of off the court issues robbed this team the chance to grow off what they gained last year.   

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2023, 09:17:32 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Angry that they traded a defensive team identity last year to a make or miss three point identity this year.   

Angry that the long term season goals seems to take a back seat to the short term in season goals.   

And really angry that because of off the court issues robbed this team the chance to grow off what they gained last year.

Yeah. The 3 point barrage offense is puzzling. It’s almost like the head coach doesn’t know how to run any offensive sets. Defense left with ime.

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2023, 09:24:42 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557

Yeah. The 3 point barrage offense is puzzling. It’s almost like the head coach doesn’t know how to run any offensive sets. Defense left with ime.

this team has players that need to go. sure we need a real coach but they had their shot. they have no celtic pride. get outta here. get out. dumb with no BBIQ. u know who they are
LET'S GO CELTICS!