Author Topic: Will the celtics make a coaching change?  (Read 3182 times)

Re: Will the celtics make a coaching change?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2023, 11:33:06 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
It's a hot run because we have four seasons of Tatum and Brown as the two best players on the team, and they have only consistently played up to their potential for those few months.

The wheels only fell off for the team this year after we'd played 60+ games - you have no proof that this regression wouldn't have happened under Udoka, because (not only do we not live in that timeline, unfortunately) the coaching is only part of the problem.

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2023, 11:38:12 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
It's a hot run because we have four seasons of Tatum and Brown as the two best players on the team, and they have only consistently played up to their potential for those few months.

The wheels only fell off for the team this year after we'd played 60+ games - you have no proof that this regression wouldn't have happened under Udoka, because (not only do we not live in that timeline, unfortunately) the coaching is only part of the problem.

Do you think Ime's defense loses to this depleted Heat team?
There's your answer.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2023, 11:39:20 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366

the entire identity of the team changed. you cant ignore that.

even when they played bad last playoffs you never really questioned their heart and you knew they would be in it because they played tough defense.

the roster got BETTER this year. and yet the team got worse. Timelord/grant could barely find the court. thats on coaching

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2023, 11:45:37 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

There's your answer.

But the problem is not the absence of Ime's defense - because Ime's defense was predicated around Horford and Timelord sharing the floor, which has been an absolute disaster this series. Horford, in particular, is looking like the old man that he is this postseason. Subsequently the solution cannot be as simple as 'Ime's defense'.

I have no appetite to argue in favour of points that I'm not making, but I would say at a glance the change in defensive identity has more to do with RW3 being injured to start the year, Smart's bad season all around, and Horford being another step slower (which I have said ad nauseum) than the coaching.

Now, does Mazz pay more attention to offense? Sure. No one is arguing that he doesn't. Did we have a better coaching staff all around last year? Yes. How much of a contribution each coach that's missing from last season has to our performance relative to our players on the floor is hard to say.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2023, 12:37:36 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592

There's your answer.

But the problem is not the absence of Ime's defense - because Ime's defense was predicated around Horford and Timelord sharing the floor, which has been an absolute disaster this series. Horford, in particular, is looking like the old man that he is this postseason. Subsequently the solution cannot be as simple as 'Ime's defense'.

I have no appetite to argue in favour of points that I'm not making, but I would say at a glance the change in defensive identity has more to do with RW3 being injured to start the year, Smart's bad season all around, and Horford being another step slower (which I have said ad nauseum) than the coaching.

Now, does Mazz pay more attention to offense? Sure. No one is arguing that he doesn't. Did we have a better coaching staff all around last year? Yes. How much of a contribution each coach that's missing from last season has to our performance relative to our players on the floor is hard to say.

Sure AL may have regressed, but Rob wasn't as healthy last year during the run and the defense was still better. These guys hardly share the floor so it's kind of hard to look at such a small sample size and say it doesn't work. Grant had been a pretty good defensive piece for us but joe decided to exile him. Funny how joe is a tough guy with bench players but won't man up and hold the stars accountable.

Remember against philly when we lost despite shooting great but they allowed a ton of points? 1st thing joe mentioned was 3 attempts, not defense, but 3. That says everything.

You cannot look the differenced between last year's defense and this one and just say the bulk is due to al getting old and Rob missing time.

The one constant between this year and last is the coach. While the players shoulder some blame, many of these issues we now have flowed from the top down.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2023, 12:41:53 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
The one constant between this year and last is the coach. While the players shoulder some blame, many of these issues we now have flowed from the top down.

How much of a contribution each coach that's missing from last season has to our performance relative to our players on the floor is hard to say.

I think we are ultimately in agreement and just disagreeing about degrees. I am not going to defend Mazzulla's press conference answers because I'm not a member of the Celtics coaching staff (or their PR department).

one quick edit:
Grant got cooked in Game 2 by the Heat. Horford and RW3 together have been cooked by the Heat. As someone said in another thread, Miami is well set up to succeed against every look we can throw at them - which is 100% coaching - but the fact that the Heat have hit shots they spent all season missing is up to the players, not the coach.

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2023, 12:52:26 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

How much of a contribution each coach that's missing from last season has to our performance relative to our players on the floor is hard to say.

I think we are ultimately in agreement and just disagreeing about degrees. I am not going to defend Mazzulla's press conference answers because I'm not a member of the Celtics coaching staff (or their PR department).

one quick edit:
Grant got cooked in Game 2 by the Heat. Horford and RW3 together have been cooked by the Heat. As someone said in another thread, Miami is well set up to succeed against every look we can throw at them - which is 100% coaching - but the fact that the Heat have hit shots they spent all season missing is up to the players, not the coach.

Celtics would be using different defensive schemes if ime was here. Also timeouts would be called.

You think ime would leave grant one-v-one on jimmy and let him take over?

Team can't defend anymore. It's the same players. Only the coach is different. But you are adamant it's all the players? Only ingredient that changed was the coach. It's obvious

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2023, 12:59:06 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

one quick edit:

Celtics would be using different defensive schemes if ime was here. Also timeouts would be called.

Team can't defend anymore. It's the same players. Only the coach is different. But you are adamant it's all the players? Only ingredient that changed was the coach. It's obvious
Fine. You're right. The coach is literally the only difference between winning in the Conference Finals and losing in the Conference Finals. The entire meaningful difference between two coaches is the outcome of one series.

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2023, 01:02:39 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

one quick edit:

Fine. You're right. The coach is literally the only difference between winning in the Conference Finals and losing in the Conference Finals. The entire meaningful difference between two coaches is the outcome of one series.

It actually literally is the difference between this year and last year...

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2023, 01:07:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

one quick edit:

And year before IME too.

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2023, 01:09:02 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Because they just “hired” Joe, I can’t see them firing him after only 1 (or technically, just half) season. He’s gonna be here next year

Also, I don’t know why Ime gets so much praise. The defense was good but the offense was pretty bad. And I thought Joe did a good job implementing an offensive philosophy. But on the other side of the coin, I thought he was pretty bad with his lineups, adjustments, game management, morale management and plays.
- LilRip

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2023, 01:13:08 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557

one quick edit:

agreed. because we upgraded the talent and still finished worse than last year and not just worse BUT IN EMBARRASSING performances. about to get swept. sure this roster neds a huge shakeup culture wise and BBIQ wise and they have been committing same dumb errors for years but coaching did make a difference last year. last years team fought and played D. never saw them quit.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2023, 01:14:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Players lost what confidence they gained with Ime ,  plus the awful IQ and inexperienced of Joe literally SANK the team when they met formable coaches and the better players. ..That’s on Brad Stevens .  Never wanting the stronger personalities,  this was an issue with him and Danny . Danny had to protect him from the super stars and now he won’t hire anybody that isn’t a dead zombie looking statue like himself and Joe . Just awful GM Mgmt.

Get some people with a little freaking energy for once and personality who SHOW a team how much they care and rev up the players. This team makeup has no natural inclination to lead, they need a STRONG voice to wake them up and see they follow though.  I’m disappointed in Jalen , he has the IQ to he is going to have to help lead his teammates by more than play.  He needs to motivate his guys .

Ime was a good medium,  and Wyc blew it to appease others. SMH
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 01:20:00 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2023, 01:18:05 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

one quick edit:

I have a hypothetical question, since there was a 50/50 chance of Butler's shot going in last year: if Butler's shot goes in, and the Celtics never make the Finals, is the difference between Ime and Mazzulla losing a series in 7 vs potentially losing in 4?

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2023, 01:18:49 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Player lost what confidence they gained with Ime ,  plus the awful IQ and inexperienced Joe literally SANK the team…..That’s on Brad Stevens .  Never wanting the stronger personalities,  this was an issue with him and Danny . Danny had to protect him from the super stars and now he won’t hire anybody that isn’t a dead zombie looking statue like himself and Joe .

Get some people with a little freaking energy and personality who SHOW a team how much they care .  This team has no natural inclination to lead, they need a STRONG voice to wake them up.

Ime was a good medium,  and Wyc blew it to appease others. SMH

if brad wants to save his job joe should be fired as soon as the clock hits 00:00 in miami next game
LET'S GO CELTICS!