Author Topic: 2023 Celtics Offseason Thread  (Read 2405 times)

Re: 2023 Celtics Offseason Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2023, 05:16:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
IF you are trading JB, Houston is the obvious choice with Ime there.  This is the thought that came out of Heavy.com:

Celtics Get: Kevin Porter Jr., Alperen Sengun, Tari Eason, and four future first-round draft pick

Rockets Get: Jaylen Brown

I don't think Jaylen gets us four first round picks, but maybe two of those players and two picks.  IDK, but there has to be some major changes coming!
The Heavy.com proposal is ridiculous.  JB is not a top-tier star and he only has 1 year left on his contract.  I don't know why Houston would even do your proposal.  Getting JB isn't going to make them a playoff team.

Houston are talking about fast-tracking their rebuilding and trying to win now. They told Ime this when hiring him. They are after James Harden.

A 1-2 punch of Harden & Jaylen would be a great start to a winning basketball team. Maybe a title contender.
I would in a blink trade Brown for Sengun, Green & Eason. Wouldn't give it any doubt. Sengun is essentially a dollar shop Sabonis but with better defence, Green has high potential as a scorer, and Eason could be a long-term replacement 4.

Smart / White
Green / Brogdon
Tatum / Eason
Horford / G Williams
Sengun / Williams 3
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2023, 05:23:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I know I’m beating a dead horse here & been saying this for a long time, we never win a championship without a legit center

The Bulls are talking about making major changes to their team. They are thinking of breaking up their core. Maybe making Vucevic available in a trade.

It would be a break away from the type of defense BOS has played in recent years with more mobile athletic bigs but Vucevic is one of the most skilled centers in the league. He would be an interesting candidate.

Not many other options at center. They tend to be overpaid. Aside from a few at the top, they tend to be defense-only like Rob Williams while paid far more than Rob Williams. Not many options to improve the center position. Vucevic looks to be one of the more attractive options worth considering if changing the center spot.
I have been banging the Nikola Vucevic drum since well before the Bulls nabbed him. Great passer and rebounder, good scorer, decent albeit slow-footed defender. It's getting him here for good value that could be the tricky part.

If we could turn Brown and Smart into Vucevic and Siakam I think that would be really interesting (and good!).

White / Pritchard
Brogdon / Hauser
Tatum / G Will
Siakam / Horford
Vucevic / Williams 3

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2023, 05:40:23 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
IF you are trading JB, Houston is the obvious choice with Ime there.  This is the thought that came out of Heavy.com:

Celtics Get: Kevin Porter Jr., Alperen Sengun, Tari Eason, and four future first-round draft pick

I don't think Jaylen gets us four first round picks, but maybe two of those players and two picks.  IDK, but there has to be some major changes coming!

Another obvious choice is Atlanta.
  • The Hawks are reportedly interested in Brown for several years now.
  • It seems like they are ready to move on from Trae.
  • Brown is from Atlanta. They may feel confident they will re-sign him.
Personally, I wouldn't touch Trae, but I'd be be happy to explore 3-way scenarios. For instance, Trae to the Nets, Mikal Bridges + DFS to the Celtics. We could also ask for Okongwu from the Hawks. I reckon he'd be a terrific fit in our switch-heavy defensive scheme.

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2023, 06:58:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Something that's also bugged me is that, Timelord has been in the league for 5+ years now, and he still hasn't really found an offensive game. All he can really do is dunk, layups, or the alley-oop jams, but that's about it. He really hasn't added anything to his game on that end though nor has he improved much. He certainly has on defense and is one of the best defenders in the league when healthy. But like, can't he add a real post-game, or mid-range game at least? He doesn't have to shoot 3s, but he can become a liability in a game where we need real scoring and Timelord can only score within 3-5 feet of the basket.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2023, 12:32:44 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Something that's also bugged me is that, Timelord has been in the league for 5+ years now, and he still hasn't really found an offensive game. All he can really do is dunk, layups, or the alley-oop jams, but that's about it. He really hasn't added anything to his game on that end though nor has he improved much. He certainly has on defense and is one of the best defenders in the league when healthy. But like, can't he add a real post-game, or mid-range game at least? He doesn't have to shoot 3s, but he can become a liability in a game where we need real scoring and Timelord can only score within 3-5 feet of the basket.
I don’t think he needs to develop anything. He’s the most efficient scorer ever! All he needs to do is cleanup around the rim. He’s a good passer (should be given more responsibility here). But I don’t really see why he should develop an offensive game with the excessive amount of talent around him.

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2023, 04:19:05 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
We need to hire a new coach before any major roster changes.
I heard there are teams approaching Tyronn Lue, if he can be hired, I’d put him on top of the list, won a championship with us and more as head coach.

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2023, 06:46:33 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I don’t think he needs to develop anything. He’s the most efficient scorer ever! All he needs to do is cleanup around the rim. He’s a good passer (should be given more responsibility here). But I don’t really see why he should develop an offensive game with the excessive amount of talent around him.
Because players should always be improving their game, perhaps? As it stands, defenses KNOW he's not going to shoot it. That's an issue.

Timelord can and should develop a baseline jumper. That is not a hard shot to develop, pretty basic basketball skill, and he's capable considering his form and percentage at the FT line. This would be a bail-out shot, 5th option so to speak, not a go-to play.

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2023, 06:58:41 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
We need to hire a new coach before any major roster changes.
I heard there are teams approaching Tyronn Lue, if he can be hired, I’d put him on top of the list, won a championship with us and more as head coach.

This, how people can think otherwise is beyond me.

we had a defensive minded team that made the finals. then in the off-season added Gallo/Brogdon to improve the roster. so its more talented. If Ime kept it in his pants we grow off of last season.

only thing changed is mazzulla. in an experiment if only one thing changes and it falls off the rails its usually because of that one reason....

it was coaching and buying in to Ime's defensive mindset that brought us to the finals. Mazzulla threw that out and they aren't buying in to the new coach. they dont trust he has the answers because he doesnt...and we don't have the roster for him to continue to "learn"

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2023, 07:00:20 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Because players should always be improving their game, perhaps? As it stands, defenses KNOW he's not going to shoot it. That's an issue.

Timelord can and should develop a baseline jumper. That is not a hard shot to develop, pretty basic basketball skill, and he's capable considering his form and percentage at the FT line. This would be a bail-out shot, 5th option so to speak, not a go-to play.
I think he's fully capable of doing so. He was attempting that under Stevens (11% of his FGAs came from 10 feet or further, and he was absolutely money from 10-16 feet). Under Ime and Mazz, that has decreased to ~3-4% of his FGAs.

Blame coaching

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2023, 07:15:14 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71

Another obvious choice is Atlanta.
  • The Hawks are reportedly interested in Brown for several years now.
  • It seems like they are ready to move on from Trae.
  • Brown is from Atlanta. They may feel confident they will re-sign him.
Personally, I wouldn't touch Trae, but I'd be be happy to explore 3-way scenarios. For instance, Trae to the Nets, Mikal Bridges + DFS to the Celtics. We could also ask for Okongwu from the Hawks. I reckon he'd be a terrific fit in our switch-heavy defensive scheme.

This makes sense, I would go for Beal and #8 though. Sure he makes a lot but you also get a cost controlled talent in a deep draft and make your superstar happy. I don't think we would loose much with beal instead of brown, but maybe even get a mentally tougher player that also enhances tatums game/confidence.
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2023, 07:42:51 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
If the C's are going to commit to the two big lineup moving forward and the Jays on the wing, then there is no need or enough suitable roles for the three combo guards. One of them needs to go.

So that would be a trade involving Smart, Brogdon or D White. Likely looking to bring back either a forward or a big man to better balance out our rotation / bench depth with the big lineup.

That game where we played only 3 bench guys and they were all small guards. Maybe it was Game 1. Two combo guards and Pritchard. The only guys who came off the bench. We need to move away from the 3 combo guards if we are playing big ball. Get more quality size on the bench.