Author Topic: Why Jaylen Brown is not getting traded this coming year  (Read 8155 times)

Re: Why Jaylen Brown is not getting traded this coming year
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2023, 01:08:21 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
The Wiz would LOVE the idea of getting rid of Beals contract, it gets talked about on a regular basis around here.  They want to hit the reset button bad in Washington

I’m starting to feel like this could be a rare trade where everybody involved wins.
Brown gets to play for his hometown team, Beal gets to play with his “little brother” Tatum and vice versa, the Celtics safe face by doing good by brown getting Beal and a lottery pick, the wizards get out from Beals contract and can restart fresh with Trae who’s under contract for many years, and Trae… I guess he gets a fresh start as well  ;D

Why, exactly would the C's trade a younger, better, healthier player for an older, worse, smaller who is more expensive next year and just as expensive going forward? I mean the simple act of swapping Jaylens 30 million dollar contract next year for Beal's 47 million dollar contract would add tens of millions of dolllars in tax payment to the c's books next year. Its not going to happen, if it did one of the other core players would need to go out just to balance the books.

Its a hard no.

I understand where you’re coming from, but here are my thoughts:

This core has reached its peak, and running it back would mean that you trust this core to leave these soft emotional breakdowns behind them and suddenly become different players.

You’re purely looking at it from a business perspective, but championship teams have more than talented players on good contracts, which is what we saw the last two years.
Beal is 29, so it’s not like we’re trading for and old player, he is a good fit with Tatum on the court and off the court, he is a leader and he’s is tough mentally. In addition we get a talented player on a rookie contract with #8 to balance out the money difference. We would have to pay brown the Supermax anyways, but I’m very sure he doesn’t really want to be here. You want to build a culture around players who want to be on the same team.

Again man, I get it. Its just Beal doesn't solve an of the issues this team has. He's not good enough to be a #1 offensive engine which is real reason the team struggles in crunch time. He's pretty awful defensively, which gives other teams a place to attack. He's been injured quite a bit the last two years. And he's just as expensive moving forward (he's a 35% max player) so he solves none of the main issues the team actually has. It would just sort of feel like doing something for the sake of doing something. I'm npot sure it makes the team better.

I don't think the teams issue is chemistry. The teams issue is they are shooting under 30% from three, and the heat are shooting 48% from three. And when shots stop falling the C's sort of fall apart.

It just feels like when we are thinking about trades we only think about numbers and talent, when we just saw that it's also a lot about culture, leadership  and team chemistry which would all be plus points for beal and tatum. Listen to bradley beal talk sometime, he's much more of a leader than brown. And also hes probably the only B star that would have the authority to hold tatum accountable

I'm not making a downgrade in talent because of a judgment of Beal's character based on "listening to Beal talk sometime." I'm sorry, that's just too big a leap for me.

« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2023, 05:10:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Listen to bradley beal talk sometime, he's much more of a leader than brown. And also hes probably the only B star that would have the authority to hold tatum accountable

I'm not making a downgrade in talent because of a judgment of Beal's character based on "listening to Beal talk sometime." I'm sorry, that's just too big a leap for me.

I remember listening to Beal talk about how he refuses to pass the ball to certain teammates because they won't shoot -- like, what's the point? If you are not going to shoot, I am not going to pass you the ball. So Beal shoots a contested shot against 2 defenders instead of giving up to an open man.

Beal's leadership abilities seem quite mixed to me. Some real positives but also some bad habits. He has played too long on mediocre bad teams. He is not that refined as a winner or a leader.

« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2023, 05:22:41 PM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Possibly Jaylen Brown's last Celtics game, because according to WEEI's Adam Jones, rumors are starting to swirl that the Celtics may not offer Jaylen the supermax and he will then refuse a lesser contract.

« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2023, 05:27:02 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Possibly Jaylen Brown's last Celtics game, because according to WEEI's Adam Jones, rumors are starting to swirl that the Celtics may not offer Jaylen the supermax and he will then refuse a lesser contract.

You guys have to stop listening to talking heads - especially on local sports radio. Those guys are not plugged in. One thing about the Celtics front office is that major news doesn't really leak. All of this is clickbait to latch onto national media speculation.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2023, 05:32:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Anthony Davis?
Wouldn't that be funny. I would probably do it, if our training staff were comfortable with his body
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2023, 11:13:37 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
It is interesting to see that Tatum already campaigning to bring Jaylen back, although I think that was already by far the most likely outcome anyway.

There seems to be a few general type of trade being thrown around

1) Jaylen for similarly prices star
-This type of deal for lets say Damian Lillard doesn't solve the c's long term cap issues which are the real reason they'd trade Jaylen. Most teams also wouldn't agree to them because they'd be trading their star for a guy they can't have a high certainty will re-sign with them.

2) Jaylen for draft picks
-I don't know why the c's would do this. Their window is now, they aren't getting worse for draft picks. They re-sign Jaylen they have a two yera runway before the team becomes too expensive.

3) Jaylen for pieces
-This is the one deal that might work. Its just sort of hard to swallow because 2-4 quarters for a dollar trades never seem to work out.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 11:27:47 AM by keevsnick »

« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2023, 11:15:52 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

It is interesting to see that Tatum already campaigning to bring Jaylen back, although I think that was already by far the most likely outcome anyway.

Not sure if he could have answered that question in a different way given how the media covers their relationship. If he said something like "I'll leave the extension talk up to management and JB," there'd be 20 thinkpieces claiming they don't like each other.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2023, 11:28:46 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Not sure if he could have answered that question in a different way given how the media covers their relationship. If he said something like "I'll leave the extension talk up to management and JB," there'd be 20 thinkpieces claiming they don't like each other.

Sure, but he didn't have to call him "one of the bets players in the league" either. His comments were a clear endorsement of bringing Jaylen back. And given the moments those guys have had these playoffs I think he means it.

« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2023, 05:51:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Sure, but he didn't have to call him "one of the bets players in the league" either. His comments were a clear endorsement of bringing Jaylen back. And given the moments those guys have had these playoffs I think he means it.
It was also just simple leadership. He is probably fairly confident Brown will be retained, so making him the most confident and reassured player he can be will help their future campaigns
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)