Author Topic: JB in a nutshell…  (Read 4662 times)

Re: JB in a nutshell…
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2023, 01:57:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Here’s JB’s game in a nutshell imo:

STRENGTHS:
- talented and consistent scorer in any spot on the floor. Can score off ISO’s, cuts, catch and shoots, and especially transition
- Team player. He’s not selfish. He’s a willing passer
- Strong individual defender. He’s strong, hard to get by, and hard to shoot over.

WEAKNESSES:
- He doesn’t read the defense well in the half court, beyond the man he’s iso-ing. It’s why he gets jammed up in the lane a lot and has to pirouette a ton. It’s why he often gets caught in the air with nowhere to go. It’s why he doesn’t handle double teams well. His passes are fairly simple (or predetermined) and it’s because he doesn’t read the defense. He has to see an already-open man where (to his credit) he’s usually willing to make the pass.
- Weak team defender (relative for the NBA). Among our savvy players, he’s the most likely to have miscommunications or get caught out of position
- Inconsistent handles. Just one of those things. Some plays it’s good, some plays it’s really loose.

TP. Good breakdown.

I’d also add occasional lack of engagement/focus to his weaknesses. There are some games that you can tell he simply isn’t fully engaged or focused and it leads to questionable play.

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2023, 02:10:46 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

STRENGTHS:
- talented and consistent scorer in any spot on the floor. Can score off ISO’s, cuts, catch and shoots, and especially transition
- Strong individual defender. He’s strong, hard to get by, and hard to shoot over.

WEAKNESSES:
- He doesn’t read the defense well in the half court, beyond the man he’s iso-ing. It’s why he gets jammed up in the lane a lot and has to pirouette a ton. It’s why he often gets caught in the air with nowhere to go. It’s why he doesn’t handle double teams well. His passes are fairly simple (or predetermined) and it’s because he doesn’t read the defense. He has to see an already-open man where (to his credit) he’s usually willing to make the pass.
- Weak team defender (relative for the NBA). Among our savvy players, he’s the most likely to have miscommunications or get caught out of position
- Inconsistent handles. Just one of those things. Some plays it’s good, some plays it’s really loose.

Analysis is good but when I read it I get the feel of a guy who I might not want on my team on a max contract. Yet, he actually IS a guy I want on my team on a max contract. 

It’s unfortunate that the OPs ‘nutshell’ video of JB is a poor decision/missed shot rather than him making space for himself and popping a mid-range fadeaway.   The latter is more JB than the former.  He’s actually on pace for a HOF career and the memories that stick in Cs fans’ minds of JB are, for some reason, of his foibles.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 02:17:12 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2023, 02:19:50 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

STRENGTHS:

WEAKNESSES:

Analysis is good but when I read it I get the feel of a guy who I might not want on my team on a max contract. Yet, he actually IS a guy I want on my team on a max contract.
But that sort of matches what the numbers bear out with respect to Brown and impact on winning.  He just doesn't move the needle in that department.  Boston has to offer him a max contract because that is what you do, but it will be an overpay and he won't be as easy to move with nearly 60 million a year as opposed to his 30 million or so now.  Couple that with him just not being a great fit with Tatum, and unless Boston wins the title, Boston should absolutely be looking at moving on from Brown this summer.  I know people call me a hater for this take, but I've seen nothing over the last couple of years that should change that view.  Boston should trade Brown for a player or players that fit better with Tatum.  Smart needs to go as well as he too isn't a great fit with Tatum. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2023, 02:49:11 PM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35

STRENGTHS:

WEAKNESSES:

But that sort of matches what the numbers bear out with respect to Brown and impact on winning.  He just doesn't move the needle in that department.  Boston has to offer him a max contract because that is what you do, but it will be an overpay and he won't be as easy to move with nearly 60 million a year as opposed to his 30 million or so now.  Couple that with him just not being a great fit with Tatum, and unless Boston wins the title, Boston should absolutely be looking at moving on from Brown this summer. I know people call me a hater for this take, but I've seen nothing over the last couple of years that should change that view.  Boston should trade Brown for a player or players that fit better with Tatum.  Smart needs to go as well as he too isn't a great fit with Tatum.

I agree. He isn't a super-max player. But if you trade before next season, he'll essentially be a one-year rental before going into free agency. You won't recoup any value. 

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2023, 02:55:29 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I love JB, but wish there was a way we could take decision making off his plate. I think he'd thrive with a point guard who sets him up. The problem is I'm not sure he'd go for having the ball in his hand less.

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2023, 03:29:46 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

STRENGTHS:

WEAKNESSES:

But that sort of matches what the numbers bear out with respect to Brown and impact on winning.  He just doesn't move the needle in that department.  Boston has to offer him a max contract because that is what you do, but it will be an overpay and he won't be as easy to move with nearly 60 million a year as opposed to his 30 million or so now.  Couple that with him just not being a great fit with Tatum, and unless Boston wins the title, Boston should absolutely be looking at moving on from Brown this summer. I know people call me a hater for this take, but I've seen nothing over the last couple of years that should change that view.  Boston should trade Brown for a player or players that fit better with Tatum.  Smart needs to go as well as he too isn't a great fit with Tatum.

I agree. He isn't a super-max player. But if you trade before next season, he'll essentially be a one-year rental before going into free agency. You won't recoup any value.
sure you will. Players get traded all of the time with 1 year left. Now sure it won't be as good as it would have been last summer, but it won't be cents in the dollar either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2023, 03:42:59 PM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35

STRENGTHS:

WEAKNESSES:

sure you will. Players get traded all of the time with 1 year left. Now sure it won't be as good as it would have been last summer, but it won't be cents in the dollar either.

What do you envision would be a good haul? Draft picks mean nothing when you're in a "win now" mode. Jaylen just earned All-NBA honors. I'd be very surprised if another team is willing to give up a player of that caliber.

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2023, 04:50:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I love JB, but wish there was a way we could take decision making off his plate. I think he'd thrive with a point guard who sets him up. The problem is I'm not sure he'd go for having the ball in his hand less.
Yeah, I don't think Jaylen would either. He wants the ball. He wants to create. He wants to score, not just 20+ppg but 25-30ppg. I don't think a PG would do much to make him more efficient.

I expect the main difference in a true PG would be that he would ensure the other guys stay involved in the game and do not get derailed by iso play of Jaylen & Tatum.

Sort of reminds me of Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony. I always thought Steve Blake was great on that team because when he was there he ensured Nene, Kenyon Martin and Camby got some paint touches during the game. This kept them happy enough to keep doing the dirty in the paint defensively & on the glass. When Blake left, they had nobody who kept them involved. They sulked more. Did not work as hard on D or on the boards. The advantage of Blake was not makin Melo or Iverson more efficient but managing their iso-heavy tendecies while keeping others engaged.

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2023, 04:56:32 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Time for JB to prove to himself and the NBA he is the best player in his draft class but right now Jamaal Murray is schooling him on who is the better player and leading his team in these Conference Finals.

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2023, 05:43:26 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Yeah, I don't think Jaylen would either. He wants the ball. He wants to create. He wants to score, not just 20+ppg but 25-30ppg. I don't think a PG would do much to make him more efficient.

I expect the main difference in a true PG would be that he would ensure the other guys stay involved in the game and do not get derailed by iso play of Jaylen & Tatum.

Sort of reminds me of Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony. I always thought Steve Blake was great on that team because when he was there he ensured Nene, Kenyon Martin and Camby got some paint touches during the game. This kept them happy enough to keep doing the dirty in the paint defensively & on the glass. When Blake left, they had nobody who kept them involved. They sulked more. Did not work as hard on D or on the boards. The advantage of Blake was not makin Melo or Iverson more efficient but managing their iso-heavy tendecies while keeping others engaged.

All fine and dandy until Tatum/Brown demand the ball. If the "true" PG isn't a star level PG, then I wouldn't bank too much on that theory.

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2023, 06:43:39 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

STRENGTHS:

WEAKNESSES:

But that sort of matches what the numbers bear out with respect to Brown and impact on winning.  He just doesn't move the needle in that department.  Boston has to offer him a max contract because that is what you do, but it will be an overpay and he won't be as easy to move with nearly 60 million a year as opposed to his 30 million or so now.  Couple that with him just not being a great fit with Tatum, and unless Boston wins the title, Boston should absolutely be looking at moving on from Brown this summer.  I know people call me a hater for this take, but I've seen nothing over the last couple of years that should change that view.  Boston should trade Brown for a player or players that fit better with Tatum.  Smart needs to go as well as he too isn't a great fit with Tatum.

Jaylen Brown on a 5 year 290 million dollar contract is immeasurably more valuable than on a 1 year 30 million dollar contract he can't really extend off (barring something like a massive injury next year).

I also find the idea that Jaylen doesn't "fit" with Tatum suspect at best. Like why, exactly? They've had phenomenal individual success, phenomenal team success, i mean they seem to fit just fine to me.

This entire thing is just so weird. The guy has had literally one bad game this playoff run, up until Friday at 8:30 nobody was really worried about his play this post season other than to argue he should be shooting MORE. Granted, that game was REALLY bad but trading him is a massive over reaction.*

*Unless you are getting back an even better, similarly aged, player. As always.

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2023, 07:45:31 PM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Jaylen has had several bad stretches through these playoffs.  Especially off-ball D (ex.  leaving Harden in the corner in game 4)

In game 1 he had 6 TOs.  It wasn't just game 2 where he's contributed to losing basketball.

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2023, 08:04:30 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
There’s a good Austin Powers joke to be made in this thread.  :)
Greg

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2023, 10:06:53 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

https://youtu.be/6kItxNOFJSs

Rest Brotha...

*sippin*

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2023, 10:32:14 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Not making any excuses but didn’t JB bang his knee in one game and cut his finger on his shooting hand in another?

Must have some affect in his shooting mechanics no?