Author Topic: JB in a nutshell…  (Read 4593 times)

JB in a nutshell…
« on: May 20, 2023, 12:08:44 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
I really feel this one play illustrates his greatest strength (athleticism) and greatest weakness (low BBIQ).

How do you go 1 on 5 here? 

He lacks situational awareness and low IQ.  At this point, will he ever figure it out?

https://twitter.com/anotherftbacct/status/1659766350712287232?s=42&t=1X_JM6t_sHOmJ-4Zf9_JdQ

Re: JB in a nutshell…
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 12:38:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, that was painful. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 12:39:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Plays like this are why I sometimes say, "it's not the other team doing anything special, it's our own team literally handing it to them". Miami has a simple game plan and are very disciplined. Boston isn't, and it shows with the blown leads, poor clutch moments, etc.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 12:42:25 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
"A little story: When Jaylen first got here, he used to go one-on-five, one-on-four, just throw up some bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.. We would look at him like,
'Jaylen, what are you doing?'
And his excuse to us - or his reasoning was, When everyone is telling me to slow down, the defense hears that, so I'm going to speed up. And we were like,
"No, no, no,
that doesn't make any sense," Smart said.

Once I read this in an article it told me all I needed to know about his intelligence as a basketball player.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 01:02:40 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
It’s basically a turnover there. Just dumb basketball. This is why this team can’t keep leads or execute in the clutch. Low BBIQ and a coach who can’t help them.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 01:09:54 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I understand the mindset unfortunately. We have blown so many leads at end of games from walking the ball up the court and waiting the whole shot clock to shoot it and end up with a garbage shot…that’s exactly what he was trying to avoid he just happened to miss.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 01:27:33 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I understand the mindset unfortunately. We have blown so many leads at end of games from walking the ball up the court and waiting the whole shot clock to shoot it and end up with a garbage shot…that’s exactly what he was trying to avoid he just happened to miss.

1 on 5 is NEVER a good idea. Now if he drew the defense in and kicked it out for a wide open 3 then yes be aggressive like that. Putting your head down and going against the entire defense is just dumb and a wasted possession.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 01:32:42 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Plays like this are why I sometimes say, "it's not the other team doing anything special, it's our own team literally handing it to them". Miami has a simple game plan and are very disciplined. Boston isn't, and it shows with the blown leads, poor clutch moments, etc.

I say that a lot. Boston is its own worst enemy. And I've long thought that Brown isn't a very intelligent basketball player. You want to try pushing the pace? As a general rule, that's fine. But you don't go 1 on 5.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2023, 01:35:59 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273

just to be clear, it’s your opinion that a rushed, out-of-control, 1-on-5 shot by JB, with zero chance of a rebound because your teammates haven’t even crossed the timeline, is not a garbage shot?

and you think this is better than a non-1-on-5 shot by anyone else?

make it make sense…

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2023, 02:59:10 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
This play and the one where he grabbed the board and then tried to put it up on 3 defenders in the paint made me shake my dam head. Ive always said he has terrible bbiq
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2023, 03:42:39 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
A lot of Celtics fans finally become aware of why Brown doesn't excel in the advanced stats and why he can't lead a unit like Tatum at all. His assist/turnover ratio has always been abysmal. Because of that his value on offense as a scorer (Brown is a fantastic scorer) is diminished by his inability to create for others.

In the way Brown plays as a perimeter player who handles the ball a lot as an initiator it's a much bigger problem than for a guy who's 'merely' finishing a play (examples: Davis and Porzingis). There are opportunity costs. All the time Brown is handling the ball in a position where he doesn't have a great shot would theoretically be better allocated to a player with better handling, passing and decision skills.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2023, 03:45:42 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

just to be clear, it’s your opinion that a rushed, out-of-control, 1-on-5 shot by JB, with zero chance of a rebound because your teammates haven’t even crossed the timeline, is not a garbage shot?

and you think this is better than a non-1-on-5 shot by anyone else?

make it make sense…

Actually bud I do think it was a garbage shot…mostly because he missed.

I understand his thought process trying to move quick and attack quick with a lead in the 4th quarter because they’ve lost several games slowing the pace of the game down in those scenarios

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2023, 03:50:08 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

1 on 5 is NEVER a good idea. Now if he drew the defense in and kicked it out for a wide open 3 then yes be aggressive like that. Putting your head down and going against the entire defense is just dumb and a wasted possession.

It was bad. Have the Celtics not lost several games this postseason when they had a lead deep into the 4th quarter because they just stopped pushing the ball and being aggressive?
I think that’s what he was thinking of. Came back to bite him unfortunately.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2023, 05:09:22 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273

I understand his thought process trying to move quick and attack quick with a lead in the 4th quarter because they’ve lost several games slowing the pace of the game down in those scenarios

the distinction between good shots and garbage shots is not based on whether they’re made or missed. if jaylen had miraculously made his i’ll-advised 1-on-5 shot last night, it’s still a garbage shot. anyone with a modicum of BBIQ would advise advise against him taking this shot, as it has a very low likelihood of repeated success, i.e. a garbage shot.

It was bad. Have the Celtics not lost several games this postseason when they had a lead deep into the 4th quarter because they just stopped pushing the ball and being aggressive?

the C’s are losing leads/games late in the 4Q because tatum assumes the PG role, and opposing teams appropriately double team him as soon as he crosses mid-court. the lack of response to this defensive strategy is why teams frequently make huge runs in crunch time.

to your point, pushing the pace could work, but definitely not via JB, a really poor ball handler, attacking the entire defense by himself in 1-on-5 scenarios.

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2023, 05:23:32 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

the distinction between good shots and garbage shots is not based on whether they’re made or missed. if jaylen had miraculously made his i’ll-advised 1-on-5 shot last night, it’s still a garbage shot. anyone with a modicum of BBIQ would advise advise against him taking this shot, as it has a very low likelihood of repeated success, i.e. a garbage shot.

the C’s are losing leads/games late in the 4Q because tatum assumes the PG role, and opposing teams appropriately double team him as soon as he crosses mid-court. the lack of response to this defensive strategy is why teams frequently make huge runs in crunch time.

to your point, pushing the pace could work, but definitely not via JB, a really poor ball handler, attacking the entire defense by himself in 1-on-5 scenarios.

Maybe you’re not understanding the fact that we are in agreement. It was a poor decision and a bad shot. Yes. Should’ve kicked it to one of the open 3 point shooters. Simply stating I understand his aggressive mindset, just made the wrong play.